Anyone here from Attercliffe?

I thought I had seen photos on the FR website where it was being demolished....:o I knew it had become a special needs school a while ago and wondered why they had got rid of it anyway...oh well that's a surprise.:thumbsup:

The school is still there, it was renamed a few years ago, and was relaunched as a "special needs" school.

My former mother-in-law was a pupil at Maltby Street School, during the war (wwII), having been brought up on Brompton Road.

The school's no longer there unfortunately :( Was pulled down bout 2 years since. I organised several school reunions & the first one over 200 turned up, all age groups & I organised a trip around the school. It was a Sat afternoon, the staff very kindly provided refreshments in the dining room. It was a wonderful day of nostalgia ........... I attended Maltby St as did my dad & my nan before him, all Attercliffe born n bred & proud of it :)

Edited by lynblu

The pub was called the Golden Ball.

or the the cocked hat

or the the cocked hat

The White Hart pub is still there (though no longer a pub) at the edge of Don Valley stadium.How has it survived.Why wasnt it flatted with Brown Bayleys steelworks.Does anybody know why?We used to go in there when we did the night shifts of 6pm to 7am.One chargehand took us in for 30 minutes and the other for 60 minutes.Its frightening to think that we worked in the air on repairing cranes etc after drinking sometimes (stupidly) 5 pints in the hour.The follies of youth !!!!!!

The White Hart pub is still there (though no longer a pub) at the edge of Don Valley stadium.How has it survived.Why wasnt it flatted with Brown Bayleys steelworks.Does anybody know why?We used to go in there when we did the night shifts of 6pm to 7am.One chargehand took us in for 30 minutes and the other for 60 minutes.Its frightening to think that we worked in the air on repairing cranes etc after drinking sometimes (stupidly) 5 pints in the hour.The follies of youth !!!!!!
can remember when my hubby was at BBs in the 60s but they climbed the wall into white harts back yard,heard somewhere its a listed building thats why its never been knocked down can't swear to it though.thats where we learnt how to drink.

can remember when my hubby was at BBs in the 60s but they climbed the wall into white harts back yard,heard somewhere its a listed building thats why its never been knocked down can't swear to it though.thats where we learnt how to drink.
ted badger was the landlord then.

They did have a ladder so that you could climb up it and jump into Brown Bayleys.I used it to return one Saturday afternoon and with my usual ineptitude almost landed on my foreman!!!!

does anyone know james arthur yates of alfred rd he lived opposite the rag and bone yard with his stepfather charlie wright and stepsister annie he died when i was young so any info would be appreciated i know he was a boxer also he had a fruit barrow.also my grandfather kept goats in the back yard does anything jog any memories

I was born in 141 Cottingham Street in 1954, our house had a small yard just for our house, the yard had a coal house, an outside toilet and another outhouse (I think). There was a gennel running between the yards on Cottingham Street and Westbury Street. The houses further down towards Staniforth Road had four or more houses in them.

Thanks for this information. It's interesting that you mentioned a gennel as I have a very feint memory of being pushed in a pram, or something, by two girls, along a cobbled alleway.

Hi Gethro/ Just read your post here. I remember Brian and Ray - my brother Tony Redfearn used to hang out with both of them. Ray's younger brother, was it Richard? used to be a buddy of mine I also have an eldest brother Jack they would remember. We used to live at number 35 from the early 50's until the mid 60's. What was your wife's maiden name? They must have lived up by what used to be Battistes shop at the Huntsmans Gardens end of the street - across from the Richardsons who lived on the corner. Different times back then..

Hi, My name is Rob Bodfield. I'm Brian Bodfield's son. I mentioned I saw your post to dad. what's your real name?

Mick Redfearn. I remember your dad used to hang out with my older brother Tony. I think he used to live in the same yard as the Browns who owned the little shop right in the middle of Beall St? Unfortunately Tony passed away from a heart problem in 2007. Jack is still going strong - he moved to Australia around 1960. Ask your dad what he knows about anyone else on the street at that time and pass it on here? I've lived in British Columbia Canada since 1974. Thanks for the response Rob.