Anyone here from Attercliffe?

Hi Mickr, My wifes maiden name was Wilson, lived with her mom & dad & brother Maurice, at no 15. Maurice was also a mate of Richard"s, ( Ray"s brother, ). Ray also had an older brother Brian, ( i think ?. ) Battises shop was the first in their yard, then the Myres, then George & Winnie Ledger, ( Marges auntie & uncle ) who we lived with for a couple of years or so. then Marges family. Then over the wall in the next yard, the only family i can remember was the Haywoods. Gorden, their son used to drink in The Cutlers with us, as did "Sonny" & Kath Wildgoose, who i think lived close on towards your house. I think Mick Willets must have lived somewhere across the road from you. As you say different times then,!!. But i wouldn "t have had it any other way.

Hi Gethro/ I remember Maurice Wilson and I think I can remember Margaret. Did she used to hang out with Marie Petty (who lived in Steven Haywards yard) and Linda Haslam who lived in the same yard as thr Lemanskis or with the girls off Bodmin St? That yard was right across the street from us. Mrs Lemanski was the daughter of (?) Brown who owned the little converted shop on the street and they had a son - Stefan. Are Sonny and Kath Wildgoose the parents of David Wildgoose? Dave and I were good buddies and I have been trying to find him for many years now. I heard that he and quite a few people from the area moved the new housing on Greenland Rd, but it's difficult to track people down from here in British Columbia. The Wildgooses used to live in the same yard as the Willets. I remember Mick - his dad used be a very good piano player. Hope this is not too many questions for you Gethro and thanks for the information you've already passed on.

hi clifflad.yes they were at wednesday same time..i can remember a lot of the players,but the old grey matter is getting a bit thin theese days,..it would be great if anyone in the forum can post a few names of the old teams..

up the owles..

hi clifflad.yes they were at wednesday same time..i can remember a lot of the players,but the old grey matter is getting a bit thin theese days,..it would be great if anyone in the forum can post a few names of the old teams..

up the owles..

The earliest team I remember revolved around the following players:

Peter Springett

Don Megson

Keith Ellis

Johnny Fantham

Bobby Craig

Viv Mobley

Peter Swan

Tony Kay

Howard Wilkinson

How's that for startewrs Baza.

thanks clifflad..just wish we had them playing for us now..!!..i can go a bit further back than that team,how about this for a few good,uns..

Mcintosh.. whitcombe..sewell..quigley..finney..froggat..shiner..quixhall..dooley

swan..kay..lane..jimmy johstone.(right wing,)quine..hickton.wilde..whittam..young

ron springet

norman curtis..

turton..

eddie gannon..

woodhead..

and a few from the red half of sheff....ted burgin..joe shaw..(the greatest centre half never capped for england)tony currie....and (sir)JIMMY HAGEN

wow clifflad let myself get carried away a bit there..

but i saw them all play..

oops !!just one more,i was at hillsbro when wed played santos..and the great PELE was playing....happy mems ...!!

what do you think that lot would be like today..!!

see ya clifflad..

thanks clifflad..just wish we had them playing for us now..!!..i can go a bit further back than that team,how about this for a few good,uns..

Mcintosh.. whitcombe..sewell..quigley..finney..froggat..shiner..quixhall..dooley

swan..kay..lane..jimmy johstone.(right wing,)quine..hickton.wilde..whittam..young

ron springet

norman curtis..

turton..

eddie gannon..

woodhead..

and a few from the red half of sheff....ted burgin..joe shaw..(the greatest centre half never capped for england)tony currie....and (sir)JIMMY HAGEN

wow clifflad let myself get carried away a bit there..

but i saw them all play..

oops !!just one more,i was at hillsbro when wed played santos..and the great PELE was playing....happy mems ...!!

what do you think that lot would be like today..!!

see ya clifflad..

These players loved the game of football and played for an ordinary working man's wage , better than going down the pit or steelworks. Now you have someone with half the talent of those you mention being transfered for millions.

Can you remember Len Badger ? Sam Elliss, does he ring a bell?

I remember Julie Millington as she's my mum, I'm her son Robert :D

Did she have a brother sorry icant remember his name.he was very good at

playing the organ?

Hi I used to live on Winsbury Road and went to Carbrook School, miss those good times

Can anyone remember some of the ' characters ' on the Cliff ?

I remember someone who delivered coal and never washed his face and walked about with his mouth open. He lived on one of the streets off Coleridge Road. Can anyone supply more details of him and other characters living in Attercliffe in the 1950 /60s.

sure do clifflad,,how about ..ALAN WOODWARD.had many a friendly argument ,who was the best,woody or finny..thanks for talking ..been very nice to chat to a real nice cliffhanger

Oo Tara that's exciting. There was a Florence Biggin in my family tree I think. Can you tell me what you knew about them please?

Cant remember too much but i seem to remember they had Greyhounds , probably had racing ones.I think they lived near the Grimesthorpe area.

The daughter Florence is probably around late 50s. she always wore pretty floaty dresses .

I know they were quite well to do financially. Dont know how else to put it.

hi clifflas..late 1955..went in army 1956..out 1958..

Born on the Cliff but lived in Paraguay for the last 30 years. My wife is from Brazil, next door to Paraguay, but speaks English with a Sheffield accent and is a Sheffield Wednesday supporter.