Anyone here from Attercliffe?

my hubby came from down attercliffe common he lived on bradford street.lived there from sometime in the late 50s when he was a small boy to 1971 .always rambles on about it being the best time in his life living down there.

I remember Henry Holmes bike shop on Attercliffe Common. He used to specialize in racing equipment with frames built under his name. Henry would have been in his 40s when I was a kid of 14 riding a Carlton. My older brother had been bought a new BSA from Wiggies, and not long after came home on a Henry Holmes track bike which had no brakes and a fixed single gear. When my Ma saw this strange bike instead of his blue beauty with white plastic mudguards she went crazy especially when Eric told her he owed Henry another tenner for a bike with no brakes , no three speed and no mudguards!

When I was an apprentice in the 60's we had to go day school one a week and night school 2 nights. at Salmon pastures.That was before Pond St college was built . Does it still exist ?

hello all

I was born on Alfred Road, then lived in Swan St, at the back of the Pavillion. The Bug man used to come round every so often.

Went to Carbrook school till I was eight when we were moved out to Parsons Cross a dead posh council house with a BATHROOM and a gardin. Along time ago......

Great story buck, I read your post three or four times, laughed like the proverbial drain. I had a Carlton, secondhand, single 16 cog, one brake (front). I bought it off a guy called Ernie Russell, a top class weightlifter in the Bantam weight division, short in stature, so it was only a 19" frame. Boy, did I have some fun on that! Peer pressure was that it wasn't 'manly' to get off the saddle going uphill, Fausto Coppi didn't in the Tour de France. Going down was even worse. Winnats Pass in Derbyshire springs to mind. In the company I kept at that time, everybody was influenced by Henry.

Hi Texas, talking about the Winnats I used to pride myself by doing the whole pass, but I had to honk, no Fausto me. I think Curbar gap was even harder. I started out riding for the Phoenix, then later joined the Sheffield RCC, a BLRC club. We had some good times in the old days cos nobody took the game too seriously, we'd have a few jars on a Saturday night and a dance at the city hall, then climb bleary eyed on the bike Sunday morning hating the run up to the Peacock before doing a hundred miles or so.

I'm president of the Yankee Racing team out of Simsbury, Connecticut and rode my last race at 60, a criterium. Americans love criteriums, I hate the bloody things, too dangerous.

Americans like to ride in their racing jerseys when training. That was considered very tuggo when I was in England.

i can remember moving to birley when i wos about 9, n same as u Lesleyann we hade our first garden n bathroom,

thought i had moved to the other side of the world cos not ventured very far from attercliffe before, and at that time the owlthorpe and crystal peaks estate had not been built, so it wos all fields n farms.

Originally posted by chuffybear

i can remember moving to birley when i wos about 9, n same as u Lesleyann we hade our first garden n bathroom,

thought i had moved to the other side of the world cos not ventured very far from attercliffe before, and at that time the owlthorpe and crystal peaks estate had not been built, so it wos all fields n farms.

Yep, and Birley, Hackenthorpe, Beighton, Halfway and Mosborough were all villages. Sadly it's been mostly down hill ever since. :(

Just been on http://www.picturesheffield.co.uk

Oh it brought a tear, inside the Pavillion, how grand was that. I knocked the hell out of those floor boards on a Saturday morning when the projector got stuck.

I also remember going to the Salutation wi mi dad for a jug of beer and crisps and nuts to take round home, didn't happen often though.

Did anyone else play with the pitch that came up through the cobbles when it was hot, or was i just a mucky b.......

It's good 'ere init

Lesley

Originally posted by LesleyAnn

Just been on http://www.picturesheffield.co.uk

Oh it brought a tear, inside the Pavillion, how grand was that. I knocked the hell out of those floor boards on a Saturday morning when the projector got stuck.

I also remember going to the Salutation wi mi dad for a jug of beer and crisps and nuts to take round home, didn't happen often though.

Did anyone else play with the pitch that came up through the cobbles when it was hot, or was i just a mucky b.......

It's good 'ere init

Lesley

no i used to poke the pitch out , usually with a lolly stick, often got a clip when i got home for getting it in my hands n clothes.

also went to the pavillion, think it cost a shilling if my memory serves me right, i took my kids last week and it cost me £18 for the three of us,thats inflation for ya.

Hola buck, So you carried on cycling for a long time, great, my own cycling career finished when I went for National Service in '51. The All-Rounders, were 90% weightlifters, the other 10% were like cyclists, climbers, bit of boxing, wrestling, balancing, bit of everything. The cyclists went out with the Rotherham Wheelers, usually Lincolnshire way. Did you ever get to a place called Blyth? Actually I seem to remember that was in Nottinghamshire. We always seemed to finish the day there, just outside Blyth, over a little humped back bridge, to a place where you could get a cup of tea. Three of the guys had a handbalancing routine, they used to keep the crowd entertained, they were very good. Sometime they used to talk me into being top man, me being about 115lb at the time, nowadays I could get vertigo on a thick carpet!

Chuffybear you must be young cos it cost us a tanner..........Ithink