Anyone here from Attercliffe?

Originally posted by brooksy

when does your winter officially start and how bad does it get. i am a member off quite a few weather forums and your part of the world gets quite a bit of coverage.

in winter firth park is two topcoats warmer than shiregreen

sorry i thought this p[ost should be on another thread, named weather

Totley's warmer than either of them, of course, they can afford the coal.

Originally posted by buck

Just got back from 10 days in Ireland yesterday, haven't been in UK since 1989, but go visit my wife's home in Clare every couple of years. Get to catch up on Corrie, and Ennerdale, so probably need to get a life. Ireland has become too expensive to live, and I daresay UK isn't a lot different, but I'd still like to take a good racing bike out into the high peaks, and stop for a quick pint at the Foxhouse or Peacock on my way home. I also got to see ManU beat Arsenal in a nice pub on Sunday, just in time to find out Boston Red Sox had beaten the hated NY Yankees in the pennant race. What a day!

Buck, good to see you had a good time in Ireland, we love it over there, and have friends in Galway. you should try getting out to clare Island, that's a great place. There again I have never been to a bad place in the Emerald Isle. They also have peat fires...now there's something to savour.

Originally posted by owdlad

Buck, good to see you had a good time in Ireland, we love it over there, and have friends in Galway. you should try getting out to clare Island, that's a great place. There again I have never been to a bad place in the Emerald Isle. They also have peat fires...now there's something to savour.

Your right Owdlad, I spent a few days in County Wicklow this year and it was fantastic.

Great scenery in the Mountains and fantastic beach in Britas Bay.

Hope to go back in the spring for some cycling.

does anyone remember the park and cricket pavillion on clifton street ; did anyone go to maltby street school , off clay street , it would be nice to here from someone

look in the attercliffe thread mate.........e further down the page:thumbsup:

i lived in clay street from 1960 to 1970 went to maltby street school anyone else from that time

Originally posted by Greybeard

Hi Brooksy,

We were sort of mates for a while, your Dad and me, - did the same job at Alloy Steel Rods on different shifts, but I often had to sub as furnaceman so we'd end up on the same shift. He used to drop me off home, or after the morning shift we'd go up to Shiregreen club for a game of snooker and a few jars. A nice quiet, gentle bloke, but a wicked sense of humour with people who took themselves and life too seriously....used to wind them up something rotten - me included :D

Is he still around ?

i played darts for shiregreen club in the 50s a 60s

we came runners up in ciu all england knockout in 66 i think

Enjoy reading all your memories of Attercliffe, brought a lot of my own back. I was born on Saville Street and enjoyed my trips up The Cliff . But Please!!! stop calling the railway bridge Norfolk Bridge. This bridge is in fact on Leveson Street, theres even a plaque on it saying Norfolk Bridge.

Does anyone know anything about an Auberon C Ward, a professional photographer working out of a studio in Attercliffe in the early part of WW2 please?

hi you all I was born down attercliffe in 1954 and I lived on short street just off carbrook street I had relations who lived on dunlop street they were called the holfords my dads sister and her husband lived on short street they were called the goddards thats when she got married she was a beaumont then my dad use to play the piano in most of the pubs he was called ruben allan beaumont one of the pubs he use to play at was the british oak on carbrook street and the other was the carbrook hall.I wish I still lived down there as the people was the best in south yorkshire what I miss most of all is all my friends who I grew up with.