Anyone here from Attercliffe?

just been chatting to a mate and he reckons there was an herblest near banners. ican remember a small shop near the horse and jockey but thought it was a paper shop. anyone settle the argument.

i also remember a news agents next to horse and jockey i was born in 72 and was about 5 when i lived down there and also remember outside on the wall of the news agents there was a wood and glass cabinet with model aeroplanes in....

He was a massachist that man. When was the re-union. I got a little upset when the school was set on fire. When did you attend Waltheof. As I mentioned I was one of the first to enter there from Whitby Road. At that time I lived on Darnall Road. Then we moved to Attercliffe, I lived on the corner where the Nick Shop is now. My Uncle had the Swap Shop. After the Gales we moved to Weedon St.

i remember a swap shop down cliffe and a young lad always stood outside playing with a ball wasnt you was it

does anyone remember my grandparents lucy and ernest ashton they lived at 284 staniforth road, he worked on the railways. my cousin robert doyle went to whitby road school he would have left in 1954approx . There was also a boy lived next door called billy jackson I think his dad was a landlord (houses)in those days.

i remember a mr ashton from attercliffe he used to drive a 3 wheeled car is it the same one...

hi do you know anybody called sharrock or Dawson of Britnall st??

i think i remember dawsons was there 2 sisters...not sure if they were twins

yes tuckwoods did have a haulage firm with the horse and cart

I USED TO GO TO HUNTSMANS GARDENS BUT WAS ONLY YOUNG AT THE TIME SO DONT REMEMBER MUCH..

MOD: Please don't shout, it's too early in the morning. Thanks.

My family originated from Attercliffe and Darnall. The Graysons and Artliff's are my mums side and the Barkers are my dad's side. My Grandpa Grayson worked in the steel works in the Attercliffe area for years and years and he used to tell some awesome stories. The local pub was actually his 'office' and they would telephone him there if they need his crew for a job on the furnaces. My Grandpa Barker worked in a factory too and I remember vaguely there was a massive gas explosion there, maybe 35 yrs ago.

Hello, your mother would be the same age as my brother David Rogerson who also went to the 'boys school' at Coleridge Road. The headmaster there was Mrs Stribley's husband - talk about keeping it in the family!!! She was a horrible woman and always had her Dachshound dog with her - the number of times I tripped over it - then got a crack from 'her' for being clumsy!!! What with her and Miss Deakin, it's a wonder I didn't suffer brain damage from all the cracks!!??

I remember very well Coleridge Road Bridge which is what you mentioned with the canal and train lines. Like your mum, I had to walk up and down that road to and from school. I lived on Whitworth Lane. I never dared looked over the side of the bridge as I had a river/canal phobia (still have) so the thought of your mum balancing on the wall, scares me to death. My daughter took me past there the other week and all the old memories came flooding back. Some good - some bad.

My mother (born 1943) always used to mention Miss Stribley, and what a battleaxe she was.

There was a wall, on my mother and aunts' way home from school that had the road on one side, and, on the other, quite a dramatic drop onto the railway lines and canal, running pretty much side-by side.

Mum and her sisters would walk on top of this wall on their way home from school.

This particular day, Miss S caught them, climbing, on the wall, as she was driving past in her baby austin, and ordered them to be in her office the following morning.

My mother was the only one of the sisters who turned up! lol

As we were walking past this wall, one day, when I was younger, my mother pointed-out the scene of this drama, and related the tale.

She commented that, seeing the height of the wall from the road, let alone the sheer drop to the railway and canal on the other side it had made her feel quite faint, what a risk they had taken climbing there. Although, this was a comment from the woman who used to play "jump-the-cut (canal)" not far from there! :lol: .

Hello, your mother would be the same age as my brother David Rogerson who also went to the 'boys school' at Coleridge Road. The headmaster there was Mrs Stribley's husband - talk about keeping it in the family!!! She was a horrible woman and always had her Dachshound dog with her - the number of times I tripped over it - then got a crack from 'her' for being clumsy!!! What with her and Miss Deakin, it's a wonder I didn't suffer brain damage from all the cracks!!??

I remember very well Coleridge Road Bridge which is what you mentioned with the canal and train lines. Like your mum, I had to walk up and down that road to and from school. I lived on Whitworth Lane. I never dared looked over the side of the bridge as I had a river/canal phobia (still have) so the thought of your mum balancing on the wall, scares me to death. My daughter took me past there the other week and all the old memories came flooding back. Some good - some bad.

My mother, sadly, passed away, at the very premature age of 40, but I am so glad that I heard these stories from her, when I was a child. I'd love to write a book, about all the adventures our family members had.

Hi

i have new videos uploaded of my life as a kid in the seventies in Attercliffe.

please take a look.sorry in adance for the crackling problem after uploading

thanks

Andy M

http://youtube.com/70sheffieldlad

Recently noticed the old sportsman on attercliffe rd next to spartan works is undergoing refurbishment.Anyone know whos goyt the pub and whats happening.Cheers.:)

Recently noticed the old sportsman on attercliffe rd next to spartan works is undergoing refurbishment.Anyone know whos goyt the pub and whats happening.Cheers.:)

is it that one that is right up near the dancing dollar, if it is iv heard that its going to be a karoke bar.