Anyone here from Attercliffe?

Originally posted by buck

What happened to all the plant at Brown Baileys. My Dad and uncle worked there during the depression and WW2. My Dad used to take me in to see them pouring the ingot moulds, and running the plate mill.

my dad worked on the furaces

Originally posted by brooksy

does anyone remember the name of a pub which was just across the road from attercliffe baths. it was where the donvalley stadium is and was right on the corner cheers.

golden ball the one at bottom of bevercotes is the wharncliffe hotel

my next door neigbour joan had the gate pub on attercliffe and shes been telling me how busy the pub was when all the steelworks were opend. she also told me a lot of them who were on the nightshift would clock in then stop in the pub very late. how times have changed and as soon as the steel works went the pub went into decline and closed.

any oldies remember the old cliffe,washford pub..grey horse ?

mick tyrrell.albert chinn? boys brigade,scouts whitsuntide in high hazels park..petrified tree stumps now in sheffield museum........rhino whipping case attercliffe police cells......burgesses.buy a suit off the peg.....green dragon pub ?.wards house below robin hood the sportsman.cocker brothers spring manufacturers, the old trades hall......the horse meat butcher.vegetable carts at side of banners.the ladders leading out of brown baileys into the yard of the cocked hat pub ?the notorious attercliffe police station.every one fell down the stairs your hounour......the red phone box in brown baileys yard.etc.etc...etcmick tyrrell died of t b.1952.albert chinn is still with us.murders on stoke street.gang wars...cellar great gang.lost to history russian edna murdered in high hazels.sillito coming in and using the biggest coppers in town to break the moony gang/park gang.someone out there still remembers this.what a shame their memories are not recorded before its to late.wheres the sociality students ? they could write a book and make a small fortune out of sheffields history of the past 70 years.......

My dad used to tell me about Sillitoe (old Chief Constable). He reckoned that someone got charged with assulting one of his PC's but when the case came to court he asked for the charge to be altered to attempted suicide!

any old cliffers out there remember MICK TYRRELL, lived on washford road at one time next to the washford bridge.died t b 1952.married ivt and moved to woodthorpe road woodthorpe estate...drank in the washford pub and grey hoarse stoke street

Originally posted by Greybeard

Abdul...have you done the five-weirs walk ? Or the canal bank from Meadowhall up to Staniforth Road ?

I've been planning to do those walks for years :blush:

Maybe next summer, eh?

Originally posted by depoix

any oldies remember the old cliffe,washford pub..grey horse ?

mick tyrrell.albert chinn? boys brigade,scouts whitsuntide in high hazels park..petrified tree stumps now in sheffield museum........rhino whipping case attercliffe police cells......burgesses.buy a suit off the peg.....green dragon pub ?.wards house below robin hood the sportsman.cocker brothers spring manufacturers, the old trades hall......the horse meat butcher.vegetable carts at side of banners.the ladders leading out of brown baileys into the yard of the cocked hat pub ?the notorious attercliffe police station.every one fell down the stairs your hounour......the red phone box in brown baileys yard.etc.etc...etcmick tyrrell died of t b.1952.albert chinn is still with us.murders on stoke street.gang wars...cellar great gang.lost to history russian edna murdered in high hazels.sillito coming in and using the biggest coppers in town to break the moony gang/park gang.someone out there still remembers this.what a shame their memories are not recorded before its to late.wheres the sociality students ? they could write a book and make a small fortune out of sheffields history of the past 70 years.......

i lived next door to burgesses......left when i was 4......i also know albert chinn but i think it must be junior as he's not that old..defo same family though..other family's in our street were the cockers,belamy's and mappins...anyone remember them?

go 2 brooksys attercliff site pal loads of folk opn there.

hi its only me brooksy, instead of having various attercliffe post why not keep this going and have a good old chin wag amongst all the cliff folk. be interesting 2 see how many folk get in touch with eatchother keep it going u old banners users.

anyone remember littlewoods?? used to love going there after doing the shopping with mi ma at banners.......littlewoods used to have a cafe and me n mi bro always got a treat.....i think it changed its name to hitchens..........

Can anyone remember what it was like on Woodburn road

when the terrace houses were there