Anyone here from Attercliffe?

Originally posted by buck

Talking about picture palaces. What happened to the Globe and the Pavilion? There was one on Staniforth Road who's name I forget. But for a night out nowt beat the old Palace theatre with live entertainment.

i went attercliffe palace every friday night when i was courting

the reason was i had to book to seats for the adelfe

saturday night

I know that most of us that post here are shall we say in our prime and that "in our day" it seemed ok to use terms such as "nig nog" but I really do think that we now understand that that sort of name calling is unnecessary and very offensive.

I was born and brought up in Attercliffe and my Mom often used to take me to the Globe and Pavillion. I remember the times we went to see the hollywood musicals and how much my Mom loved them .Both of these cinemas were taken over and used only for Indian films but if this had not happened they would have had to close down because they were not getting the bums on seats for the mainstream films. Nothing stays the same for very ever, only our memories and even they fade.

dear kiwi how many moons is it since you lived in beall st?

my husband was born at home on beall st. in 1951,and moved to aust. in 1963and returned in 1968 and lived there untill the st. was demolished.

he went to huntsmans garden school, and would love to hear more about memories of attercliffe

just a thought my husband gary worked at banners does anyone out there remember the dinner and dance ,is there anyone who worked there that can bring back a few of the old names.

banners closed in 1980,but a few of the staff stayed to clear the shop,were you one of them.

Here's how much I'm in my prime. I was 9 years old when we went to see Broadway Melodies of 1939 at the Pavilion on the night of December 12th 1940. The air raid siren went and like normal we all ignored it cos we'd had lots of false alarms.All of a sudden the guns opened up and bombs began falling on the city. We were directed to an underground shelter and stayed there all night while an Irish cop gave us a running commentary from the surface. Attercliffe was fairly lucky that night though some people were kiled in Brightside.

Originally posted by rosiebear

dear kiwi how many moons is it since you lived in beall st?

my husband was born at home on beall st. in 1951,and moved to aust. in 1963and returned in 1968 and lived there untill the st. was demolished.

he went to huntsmans garden school, and would love to hear more about memories of attercliffe

HI Rosiebear,l do mean many moons ago however in 1951l was still living in Beall St and while i wouldn't have known your husband l probably knew his parents Beall St being a close community.l left Attercliffe in 1956 for NZ

Regards Kiwi.

Hi Kiwi, Nice to meet another emigrant like myself. I departed UK shores in 1968 to Montreal in 1968, then later moved to the US, where I have been a citizen since 1987. Have you ever returned for a visit? I took my son to see the house I was born in at Stamford Street, Brightside only to find it was now a giant parking lot. Later, in 1989 my cousin Ernie drove me along Attercliffe road and Common as they were turning it into a dual carriageway and knocking down many of the old buildings. Do I ever regret leaving? In some ways yes, but the country seems very crowded to someone with lots of space to enjoy. I have met many kiwis in my time and found them very easy to get along with, which is not always the case with your bigger neighbor.

what number on beall st did you live, my husbands parents and grandparent lived in numbers 10 and 12.

my husbands grandad was called george wilson-leary, and he had 2 sons and 3 daughters.

do you remember mrs cooke, browns who owned a shop, the grayson family.

Originally posted by buck

Hi Kiwi, Nice to meet another emigrant like myself. I departed UK shores in 1968 to Montreal in 1968, then later moved to the US, where I have been a citizen since 1987. Have you ever returned for a visit? I took my son to see the house I was born in at Stamford Street, Brightside only to find it was now a giant parking lot. Later, in 1989 my cousin Ernie drove me along Attercliffe road and Common as they were turning it into a dual carriageway and knocking down many of the old buildings. Do I ever regret leaving? In some ways yes, but the country seems very crowded to someone with lots of space to enjoy. I have met many kiwis in my time and found them very easy to get along with, which is not always the case with your bigger neighbor.

hi Buck know what you mean by space to enjoy. l was back in Sheffield a couple of years ago and was amazed at all the changes but it was great to hear that Sheffield accent again.

Your message about the air raids in Attercliffe brought back a few memories too.Kiwi

Originally posted by rosiebear

what number on beall st did you live, my husbands parents and grandparent lived in numbers 10 and 12.

my husbands grandad was called george wilson-leary, and he had 2 sons and 3 daughters.

do you remember mrs cooke, browns who owned a shop, the grayson family.

HI ROSIEBEAR a Mr Leary does ring a bell though after 50 years the memory for names gets a little hazy. l do remember a couple of names at your end of the street there was the Marriot's, Richardson's Pickles and of course l remember Browns shop in the middle of the street at yor end there was another shop l believe was Batties(the grouch)further along was the Petties,race BEARDSHAW'S (TIS I AT 29)The Waller's and Redford's. Theres more people l remember but due to a touch of senility l carn't put names to them.Have to ask my sisters they are still in Sheffield

my husband recalls the names you mentioned,in particular flo marriot and her daughter sandra, flo married my husbands grandfather ,brown baileys steelworks is now don valley stadium for athletics.

where huntsmens gardens school stood is now a new housing estate.

are your sisters interested in using the forum to share memories.

Hi Rosiebear l remember Sandra she had two brothers Raymond and ?? l had a couple of dates with there cousin Silvier l believe her name was, how is Raymond?