Anyone here from Attercliffe?

hi does anyone remember the herbilist shop i think thats what you called it it was a sweet shop, with some steps going up to it it was on the same side as banners, i remember an old man with a cap on used to stand behind the counter, the white chapel opposite banners well my grandma lived on that road, shortridge street i think, me and my brothers used to play on the chapel steps on a sunday morning, after coming back from high hazels park with grandad those were the days.

I was born on Ripon Street, just around the corner from Woodbourn Road School (born in 1961).

Do you remember a few of the teachers there e.g.

Miss Hodgson, Mr Woodcock, Mrs. Ring and the Headmaster Mr. Sims.

I'm younger than you but also went to Woodbourn School (I was born on Jessell St 1969) Here's some more, do you remember any of these? Mrs. Monahan, Mrs Anyon(scary!), Miss Barnes, Mrs Tracy,Mr. Burns, Mrs Whitehouse, Mr Powell, I remember Mrs Ring and Mr Simms was still head teacher when I was there. :thumbsup: Did they have the school song when you were there? something like,

We go to Woodbourn School just up the road

Oh yes, just up the road

It's terribly grimy and terribly old

Oh yes, terrbily old

Etc etc etc.......

I was born on Ripon Street, just around the corner from Woodbourn Road School (born in 1961).

Do you remember a few of the teachers there e.g.

Miss Hodgson, Mr Woodcock, Mrs. Ring and the Headmaster Mr. Sims.

I was born on Cottingham Street and also went to Woodbourn Road Schhol, but I'm a bit older than you, I'm 52. Where abouts on Ripon Street did you live, I had relatives that lived on Ripon Street, name of Whiteley.

Hi there,

recently found this site and have really enjoyed reading the various pages and posts ,especially the Attercliffe thread on the History and Expat page.

Dont know if anyone remembers my parents Roy and Ellen Hannan,they kept the Fox House pub on Shirland Lane from about

1967/68 till approx'76 when they moved to The Queens Head on Atterliffe Road which they had 'till about 1981/82.

.At that time Attercliffe must have had more pubs per square mile than any other place on the planet.

It was a great place to grow up,and I still enjoy going down the 'cliffe whenever I get back home to visit

Hi there,

recently found this site and have really enjoyed reading the various pages and posts ,especially the Attercliffe thread on the History and Expat page.

Dont know if anyone remembers my parents Roy and Ellen Hannan,they kept the Fox House pub on Shirland Lane from about

1967/68 till approx'76 when they moved to The Queens Head on Atterliffe Road which they had 'till about 1981/82.

.At that time Attercliffe must have had more pubs per square mile than any other place on the planet.

It was a great place to grow up,and I still enjoy going down the 'cliffe whenever I get back home to visit

Had my 21st birthday in Queens head in 1975, in the room upstairs. Pity it's closed now, Attercliffe seem very popular for a night out.

Hi there,

Hi Pat, I remember your Mum and Dad at the Fox House , pictures of Celtic FC

behind the bar, most of the locals playing crib on a Sunday lunchtime when I sometimes went in there with Jack G,Dave C and Stuart F.

I remember you even more Pat,especially our sessions usually starting in the Staniforth Arms,then up town, usually finishing off in the Crazy Daisy.

I havn't seen you since about 1978, are you still in Jersey?I moved to London

in 79 got married and been here eversince.Like you I enjoy reading these threads,some great memories,and your spot on,what a great place to grow up in.I havn't been back for over a year now,but hopefully I'll be up for the

Owls v Hull City match in the new year. Dave B.

do you remember miss deakin yes i remember miss deakin on my first day at school iwas in her class and i will never forget i was so scared she let me go to the toilet and i ran home clee girl

Hi Clee Girl

You won't know me as I wasn't born until 1951 but my brother david rogerson was born in 1943 and went to carbrook school. He, my other brother Keith and me all were unfortunate enough to be in miss deakins class. I got a smack on my first day for missing a letter out of my name. I wouldn't have minded but there are many people even now, have trouble spelling Jacqueline!! She was horrid and it's such a shame as every time I go through Attercliffe and see the school, all I remember is getting smacked. My older brother Keith escaped out of a window once while in her class. She had locked him in there for leaving a tap running in the toilets!!! I wonder what the authorities would make of that now. Miss Carr and Miss Middleton were lovely though.

Hi Pat, I remember your Mum and Dad at the Fox House , pictures of Celtic FC

behind the bar, most of the locals playing crib on a Sunday lunchtime when I sometimes went in there with Jack G,Dave C and Stuart F.

I remember you even more Pat,especially our sessions usually starting in the Staniforth Arms,then up town, usually finishing off in the Crazy Daisy.

I havn't seen you since about 1978, are you still in Jersey?I moved to London

in 79 got married and been here eversince.Like you I enjoy reading these threads,some great memories,and your spot on,what a great place to grow up in.I havn't been back for over a year now,but hopefully I'll be up for the

Owls v Hull City match in the new year. Dave B.

hi enfield i think i can recall you and pat playing football behind the staniforth arms pub you was a decent goalie and pat a very skillfull player good old days

Hi Clee Girl

You won't know me as I wasn't born until 1951 but my brother david rogerson was born in 1943 and went to carbrook school. He, my other brother Keith and me all were unfortunate enough to be in miss deakins class. I got a smack on my first day for missing a letter out of my name. I wouldn't have minded but there are many people even now, have trouble spelling Jacqueline!! She was horrid and it's such a shame as every time I go through Attercliffe and see the school, all I remember is getting smacked. My older brother Keith escaped out of a window once while in her class. She had locked him in there for leaving a tap running in the toilets!!! I wonder what the authorities would make of that now. Miss Carr and Miss Middleton were lovely though.

hi i remember david i was born 1944 but my point is miss deakin was evil i was terrified of her as was most of us i think if she was around now they would lock her up and through the key away i ran home on my first day cos she was going to smack me i can t remember why but i do know because of her my school days were spoilt because i never trusted any of the teachers i don t remember miss middleton but i remember miss carr and do agree she was ok

yes i use to live three doors away the other doctor was dr taylor. one of them use to have a poodle with him

{QUOTE =Peter} I know Dr Botros very well, he was a very good doctor, many were treated successfuly and was liked by many, his colleague in the practice was Dr Tailor, there were many articles written about him and his family in the local newspaper. He married Florence Carter and had three children, the elder Dr Sophie Botros is a well known Proffessor in London University the second daughter in London I do not know much about her and a boy John is a Barrister. Dr Labib Botros lived in 32 Cavendish Rd before he passed away 1975. He came from a high caliber family, his grand father was governor of a state in Egypt. His father was the Solicitor general for the Egyptian Government 1936, he lived in Sheffield since 1918 where he studied Medicine in Sheffield University. He was really bright and intelligent when he invested his income wisely, which made him a successful businessman as well, besides he was kind and generous in helping many financially.

Anyone know about John Botros, he was a barrister who lived and worked in Sheffield around 1970- 1975.??

{QUOTE =Peter} I know Dr Botros very well, he was a very good doctor, many were treated successfuly and was liked by many, his colleague in the practice was Dr Tailor, there were many articles written about him and his family in the local newspaper. He married Florence Carter and had three children, the elder Dr Sophie Botros is a well known Proffessor in London University the second daughter in London I do not know much about her and a boy John is a Barrister. Dr Labib Botros lived in 32 Cavendish Rd before he passed away 1975. He came from a high caliber family, his grand father was governor of a state in Egypt. His father was the Solicitor general for the Egyptian Government 1936, he lived in Sheffield since 1918 where he studied Medicine in Sheffield University. He was really bright and intelligent when he invested his income wisely, which made him a successful businessman as well, besides he was kind and generous in helping many financially.

I allways found him nice even though i was only very young he use to give me injections in the butt each day. He always stayed for tea with mum and dad we lived in the same yard as his practice. very nice to hear a bit of his history something mum and dad may have known they were quite frendly with him too. they were Betty and David Beresford from cartonville fisheries.