Anyone here from Attercliffe?

I used to love all the Swop Shops in Attercliffe.We used to catch the 17 bus from near the Essoldo at Barnsley Road,Lane Top.Just to look in the Swop Shops,and ride Banners escaltor.Brilliant!!!:thumbsup:

Yes, Banners was good - we used to go there from Darnall - can remember the escalator. I used to like the lift too - in the middle of the shop with a sort of grill round the lift shaft so you could see it going up and down.

Our doctor's surgery was somewhere near Banners - a side road off Attercliffe Common, but I can't remember the name of the road - or the doctor either.

Much longer ago, my grandad went to Carbrook school - he remembered being brought out of school to see the first electric tram go along Attercliffe Common. Was the school converted into a night club some years ago? Is it still? Anyone know?

My great grandmother (other side of family) had a shop on Attercliffe Road - much nearer town (Wicker side of Norfolk Bridge).

Hiya ,

my wife was born on Edward Road, and her father was also their name was Moulds. Edward road was just around the corner from the Pavilion picture house. She went to Carbrook school which was turned the night club " Players Cafe " and then on to Coleridge Road school.

Attercliffe was a brilliant community

There was Dr.Cooper just of Attercliffe Road, we would see the doctor and if we had a prescription we would walk up to Raymond Hall's the chemist on Staniforth Road. He would always chat to you while you where waiting and seemed to now everything and everybody, a lovely man.

I didn't live in Attercliffe but I used to work at the Naval Ordnance on Janson Street (from 1964-69). There was a really good sandwich shop on the main road (Wisemans?) and a little park next to the school where we used to take our lunch. Often used to go to Banners, and wasn't there a Littlewoods nearby too? Sometimes went to a chinese restaurant round the corner on Staniforth Road.

Banners' shop was wonderful, with its huge wooden escalators.

I believe that banners had the honour of being the first store in the UK to have escalators installed, even before the "big-name ", famous stores in London. I remember the Banners Cheques, too!

It was a "tradition", for my mother and me to call into Banners on our way along Attercliffe Common, on our way to visit my Grandpa. He lived on the road that ran beside carbrook school.

I was definitely under the age of seven because my grandpa passed away when I was seven.

I remember being a very small child, (two, perhaps three) and the council had been "blitzing " a lot of buildings, sandblasting them after the clean air Act had been passed.

We went down the 'cliffe to visit my grandpa's and as we passed by Carbrook School, it was being sandblasted. I got some grit in my eye and made a fuss. (well, it hurt! and i was only a tot! lol )

PT

Does anyone remember the Attercliffe roller skating rink. Saturday afternoon was full of kids learning to skate, but evenings there was dancing on skates and some people were pretty professional at it. I thought I was too at 14 till a broken arm and a few days in City General proved otherwise

having grown up on attercliffe in the 60 s andearly 70 s it was sad 2 see how it declined in the late 70s. recently tho the area seems 2 be given a new lease of life, with alot off investment going in down there do folk think it mighnt take off again.

I Hope it is mate I worked at Tommy Clarks foundry in the early 70s .3 day week was all the rage & I also worked at an electrical windings firm across from banners cannot recall the name.I had my garage at the Wicker Arches in the late 70s .Haven't been down attercliffe for years.

its seems 2be picking up on all fronts, alot of the old pubs are being refurbished and quite a few new shops are opening. be nice 2 see banners turned into something decent instead of the dump it is now.

Are there any residential properties in Attercliffe ?

It could be a nice area to live now it's clean and green, certainly plenty of amenities available and shopping at Meadowhall.

Originally posted by Greybeard

Are there any residential properties in Attercliffe ?

It could be a nice area to live now it's clean and green, certainly plenty of amenities available and shopping at Meadowhall.

But for the most part it's still an industrial area, isn't it?

The only residential areas I'm aware of are of a mixture of older privately owned, and relatively new council / social housing estates.

They're all either a short distance up Staniforth Road or a long way up Worksop Road, so they're more Darnall than Attercliffe.

I wouldn't call it clean and green, or a nice place to live just yet...still too many brothels and adult entertainment shops up there!