Julius K9 Harness

Does any body use a Julius K9 harness, if so what are people's opinions.

Considering getting one for my GSD

It is possible for dogs to step out of them. The scanario is that the dog puts it's head down, the harness upper slides over the head and the dog steps out of it. I've seen it and I know of other owners who have had this happen to their dogs. You can buy an additional Y piece which might make it safer. Also consider whether the dog would like to have the weight and size of the pad on it's shoulders which is subject to constant movement. The Perfect Fit is a more secure harness. However, I wonder if dogs are more comfortable in harnesses that are relatively lightweight. Perhaps some dogs feel restricted in a harness and prefer collar and lead.

Edited by ccit

I've used a panda harness which is similar to the julius Harness ( but a fraction of the price)

On my dogs. It didn't stop pulling but can be handy with the handle if going through crowds with an excitable young dog. But my female smaller dog can reverse out of it . Depends what you want it for . I have used it on a GSD who was a hand full for duel control with a double ended lead . They do look good on the GSD dogs and I've seen a lot of people use them .

Edited by rubydo1

I have a similar version for both boxers - however it isn't used as a control method per se,they're used to keep the dogs close in busy fetes,fayres etc so they don't get bumped or worse throttled by continually swerving the lead and collar.

I'd prefer to walk them off lead but can you imagine peoples faces....

Waving my thread resurrecting wand.

Just received a size 3 Julius K9 for a 40kg (plus) for a GSD.  Measured just past his front legs as per instructions and that bit fits nice. The Velcro bit across the front is way out and seems very baggy, baggy enough for him to reach and try and chew it. 

I know the Velcro is adjustable but I just seem to have too much to work with and I’m reluctant to chop it as I’m a) expecting him to keep growing and b) if he continues to hate it as much as he does at the moment, it might be going back.

All thoughts welcome.

Getting measurements accurate is a nightmare , in your case TFH it won't help. But what i did was buy rip offs of the julius as the dogs grew, for 6-7£ you can afford to snip a bit off. However as my dogs reach full size i changed to a halti front easy leader which are very forgiving and easy to use to stop them leaning into the harness.(which my bull breeds do)

If you can him into Pets at Home, they let you try them on. (The one at Dobbies is often quieter.)

Tinfoilhat - you may be interested in this thread about the Julius K9, in particular the diagrams and video. This video is also helpful as it looks at the shoulder movement of the dog and how it can be impeded by the position of certain types of harness. There might be some different Julius harnesses that don’t hinder the shoulder movement. In reviews of the K9 various owners point out that their dog has got out of it, even though it was fitted correctly. 

Thank you both. The video helped, and it only needed minor adjustment of the velcro (there's a bit of a gap to stuff the excess) and to be honest an inch lost did the trick. He can grow into it.

I've heard of dogs escaping, mainly by going backwards. His problem is not going backwards!

As far as walks are concerned, we've found the halti to be the best bet so far but the harness will work better for getting him in and out of a car and securing him in it. He's had a short walk today with it on to get used it, but still on the halti. It's green but he still looks smart!

Wouldn't trust him in a shop yet. Still too boisterous, but we are getting there.

Sure it's legit?

Fakes were mentioned on Watchdog - or the other similar programme - some time ago...

16 hours ago, RiffRaff said:

Sure it's legit?

Fakes were mentioned on Watchdog - or the other similar programme - some time ago...

Seems legit. Sold and despatched by Amazon so doubt it's fake.

5 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Seems legit. Sold and despatched by Amazon so doubt it's fake.

...and before somebody leaps, I did mean the harness, not the dog...