How do you cope with the guilt of having a pet pts

yesterday I said goodbye to my 13 chocolate lab Charlie. We went away for weekend and his back end really did let him down. No longer did I have the playful dog I once knew. It was heartbreaking to see as his mind was still eager just his body had got to old for his head. I took him to the vets yesterday and although she offered strong pain relief she advised it would only be a matter of weeks if not quicker before it went completely. He didn't deserve that. He deserved some dignity.

I know as I'm writing this I made the best choice for my beautiful big bear but I feel so guilty it's eating me up. I feel like I gave up on him too soon.

I just wondered how other cope with the choices they make

Edited by louise554

I think you have to console yourself, with the fact that, you did what you thought best for your pet - that's a very unselfish thing to do, rather than doing what is best for yourself by keeping him alive and continuing to suffer. I don't know what to say, but I think you most likely made the right choice for him. I hope you manage to come to terms with it soon. I am sure you will. All the best x

Hard choice but the right one well done you for being that strong and putting the well being and dignity of your pooch first,it's the worst part of having a pet but look at how many good happy years he had not all dogs get that. Wish you well Louise554.

Been there, and invariably felt the way you do today.

I had exactly the same experience with my Springer...knew he was poorly and knocking on, but expected to be taking him home with me....but it wasn't to be.

Yes, it's horrible.

I wept more than when I'd lost my parents, frankly.

But no, you've done the 'correct' thing.

As with the other posters above, my heart goes out to you.

Sorry to hear about Charlie, like others have said its an awful thing to have to do even if you know its for the best, it is so hurtful and fraught with what ifs and self doubt, but what else can you do? no one wants their friend to suffer :(

I also know how you are feeling I remember all of the animals that I had to have PTS and even years later if I let myself it breaks my heart and hits me hard...time does help and I hope that you feel better soon, you deserve to for loving Charlie so much that you put his well being before yours xx

Oh Louise, you poor thing, it feels awful doesn't it, even if you know in your heart of hearts that you did the right thing. I think it's got something to do with the absolute responsibility of it all - our pets rely on us. Nothing can change the overwhelming weight of that responsibility.

But the guilt does wear off, and rest assured you made the more loving choice. Ask yourself, if you were in the same position again, would you make the same choice?

Thank you all for your kind words. I know deep down what I did was best for him. Just hurts so much. He's always been my baby boy and now I feel lost and lonely. They really do become members of the family and so much more. His kc name was kenmillquinn ease my mind and it was was a pleasure to have loved him. Give your pets a big squeeze tonight

Thank you all for your kind words. I know deep down what I did was best for him. Just hurts so much. He's always been my baby boy and now I feel lost and lonely. They really do become members of the family and so much more. His kc name was kenmillquinn ease my mind and it was was a pleasure to have loved him. Give your pets a big squeeze tonight ��

It's the hardest thing to do but also the right thing. Even almost 6 years on since we said goodbye to our daft dobermutt Ailsa, there isn't a day I don't think about her and thankfully, as well as all the memories, I have tons of photos of video of her doing the daft things she did. I relive the moment our lovely vet injected the sedative and wish I'd realised just how quickly it would act. She was gone so soon, but at least we were able to give her the best last day...and thanks to our experiences with Ailsa, we felt ready to adopt a rescue dobermann who is totally unlike Ailsa in many ways but of course there as times when she does things that make us thing 'ah that's soooooo Ailsa'.

Sending you lots of (((hugs))) and love at this difficult time. it's Ok to cry and to keep thinking about your baby, that's part of the healing process. :)

We went just over a year since our last GSD went we spent so much time saying we miss him but no we aren't having another one anyway there's a rescue GSD here now having a sleep waiting for me to do his dinner.

............if you love them you have to let them go. I hate people who 'hang on' to their pets, they keep the animal going for themselves, you have to be selfless.

You have done the right thing. You have loved him enough to let him go. My sister felt exactly the same when she had to let her dog go too. I know how it leaves a hole in your heart but my sister is at the stage now where she can speak about her dog and smile. It will be a while before you get there but you will get there and you'll always remember him. Take Care.

Sounds like you did the right thing Louise, sounds like you really loved Charlie, try to do away with any guilt and replace it with the knowledge you gave Charlie a great life full of love and a dignified end, these feelings you have are only natural and show you are a decent person, hopefully it wont be long before you have a smile on your face when you think about the times you spent with him :)