Should cyclists be required to wear High-Visibility Vests or Jackets?

Guest makapaka
Then why point out there was an empty cycle lane to his left - implying that he should have been using that? Is it not empty because of the roadworks, i.e. traffic has to use the right hand lane? Or am I not thinking of the right place.

I was highlighting a reason a cyclist might choose not to use a cycle lane. I wasn't going to work, either (not that it's relevant!).

Because it further highlighted how unnecessary it was.

The bus lane isn't closed off.

And for the record he should have been using that - would have been safer for him.

Regardless - he was cycling unsafely. It was daft and dangerous.

They should also be made to take a basic intelligence test before being allowed on the road. Plus a colour blindness test to see if they can tell the difference between a red or green light.

They should also be made to take a basic intelligence test before being allowed on the road. Plus a colour blindness test to see if they can tell the difference between a red or green light.

So should you before posting. the intelligence test at least.

So should you before posting. the intelligence test at least.

Says you with a lowercase letter at the start of a sentence. He who throws stones and all ... and yes I understand the irony.

However the concept of bike riders having at least some form of basic understanding of the roads is a good point. Maybe like other countries we could teach this in school. Make it part of everyone's curriculum. This would help promote cycling at an early age.

Edited by Berberis

My school ran a cycling proficiency scheme, primary school that is, which I and all my classmates attended and passed. I think the last time this was mentioned someone said that they are still commonly run.

The majority of adult cyclists are of course also motorists and so do hold a license for driving a car or a motorcycle.

Says you with a lowercase letter at the start of a sentence. He who throws stones and all ... and yes I understand the irony.

However the concept of bike riders having at least some form of basic understanding of the roads is a good point. Maybe like other countries we could teach this in school. Make it part of everyone's curriculum. This would help promote cycling at an early age.

I think you'll find most schools in Sheffield already do offer bikeabilty to level 2 at y5 and y6 and level 3 is offered to the more experienced .

https://bikeability.org.uk/what/

My school ran a cycling proficiency scheme, primary school that is, which I and all my classmates attended and passed. I think the last time this was mentioned someone said that they are still commonly run.

The majority of adult cyclists are of course also motorists and so do hold a license for driving a car or a motorcycle.

It wasn't at my school so back then 80's/90's it wasnt a national requirement.

If parents can't be bothered to instill road safety in their progeny .........

If parents can't be bothered to instill road safety in their progeny .........

This is a none issue and attempt to distract.

The majority of cyclists who are commuting or riding at the weekend are not teens or children, they're adults and the majority of those have driving licenses for motor vehicles.

A minority of them though behave in a way they shouldn't when cycling.

And a proportion of drivers who for whatever reason dislike cyclists use this as an excuse to invent the need for barriers to cycling. None of these barriers would actually increase safety or address any real point, they're just punishment.

As to why some motorists feel like this. Perhaps they're frustrated by traffic, perhaps their mum ran off with a cyclist, who knows, and frankly I don't care, they need to grow up and start driving more carefully rather than trying to blame other more vulnerable road users.

And the cyclists who jump red lights, they need addressing as well, although most are only putting themselves in danger.

Edited by Cyclone

I think a better question would be "should motorists be forced to have annual eye tests"

I do commute by bicycle, always have lights on (pulsating) yet still motorists fail to see me...or more worrying don't give a toss!!

I ride as close as I can to the gutter, hitting all the litter thrown out by the "Bloaters in their Motors"

I'm sure the cycling proficiency green sycc wallet was taken around 3rd or 4th years of junior .

---------- Post added 22-07-2017 at 18:36 ----------

I think a better question would be "should motorists be forced to have annual eye tests"

I do commute by bicycle, always have lights on (pulsating) yet still motorists fail to see me...or more worrying don't give a toss!!

I ride as close as I can to the gutter, hitting all the litter thrown out by the "Bloaters in their Motors"

I think many should be forced to undertake a new test ..or at worst banned

Don't ride in the gutter, all that does is reduce your options for moving.