A Beatles performance in Sheffield

I had the pleasure of being at their first performance at the Azena in Gleadless and I must say it was total chaos. People that had paid for tickets just couldn't get through the door. At the time I was working at Wilson Pecks who were the booking agents for the City Hall and I was fortunate enough to get a job as a programme seller when they appeared at the City Hall on the Roy Orbison concert the same year. I even got backstage and met them and Roy Orbison and still have the autographed progamme to this day.

Happy memories.

Originally posted by Ousetunes

For loads of other Beatles oddities, like the hugely obvious expletive audible in Hey Jude or the scary, scary groan on the Double White Harrisong Long, Long, Long, well, just ask.

I'm a Beatles fan of over 20 years and these ears have heard every groan, scratch and flake of dandruff fall in every single recording session.

I thought I was the only Beatle nerd on the forum. There's also a lot of in-jokes in their music. For instance, the track "Girl" sees the backing vocals singing "tit tit tit tit" etc throughout the song. Here's a couple more for you .....

I’m Only Sleeping

1:57

Voice says “Yawn Paul”, and 2:01, he does

Obladi Oblada

0:02

Paul says “remember to step it up, John,” then coughs, then hums a few notes to hit it right. Best heard when this track is OOPS’d. Laughter and joking by the other Beatles too.

1:42

After the line “lets the children lend a hand”, the first time George says “arm”, John says “leg”

Ousetunes - PM me with your email address and we'll swap notes.

Despite the last posts on here being a few years ago I found them whilst searching for information on the first ever Beatles concert to be played in Sheffield which was at The Azena Ballroom,white Lane Gleadless on Saturday 12th February 1963.

I used to work with a man nearly 20 years ago who was the drummer in the support band at this show "Mike Stone and the Aidens". He told me the story of how he remembered being sat backstage with John Lennon as he just discarded a Beatles Parlophone postcard on which he had written down the evenings setlist.

Luckily he picked up the card and kept it.

He told me he had played with a lot of bands in the 60s and kept the odd item.

As I collected anything Beatle related at the time I asked him to go through his box of stuff and sure enough one morning he brought it into work for me to see. Thankfully I got a photo copy of it (front and back) as well as a cutting from a newspaper for the show.

I remember him saying it was the first time it had been out for years and he was putting it back, so I guess he will have never have let it go.I don't know if he ever thought of it being valuable really.

Anyway I am sure that someone somewhere would love to know that this exists, and the tracklisting is there clearly in Lennons own handwriting with a line between the first and second sets.

Cheers

Mark

The Beatles played in Sheffield a total of seven times.

The first Sheffield concert was at the Azena Ballroom, White Lane, Gleadless on 12 February 1963. Peter Stringfellow paid £85 to book them. Although Peter had originally been quoted £65, Brian Epstein put the price up to £90 "because they've got a record in the charts", which was then haggled down by a fiver.

Stringfellow originally planned to book them to play at his Black Cat Club (St. Aiden's Church Hall), but because he couldn't fit enough people in to cover the huge booking fee of £85 (most "name" bands charged between £35 - £50 back then), he hired the Azena for the night, which cost him £29.

The Azena normally held 500 people, but Stringfellow sold 2,000 tickets and it's estimated another 1,000 showed up on the night. Tickets were four shillings (20p) rising to five shillings (25p) when demand took off.

Just pause and think about that: 25p to see the Beatles!

God knows how they did it, but the Beatles also played another gig on the same day in Oldham, Lancs.

The exact set list for the Azena show is lost in the mists of time, but they were only playing one Chuck Berry song live around that time (Too Much Monkey Business). The rest of the set would have been songs from their first LP including: Chains, Keep Your Hands Off My Baby, Please Please Me, Love Me Do, A Taste Of Honey, Do You Want To Know A Secret, I Saw Her Standing There.

By an amazing coincidence the Beatles had just recorded the remaining 10 tracks which would make up their debut LP on 11th Feb - the day before the Azena gig! All ten tracks were recorded in the one day, the remaining 4 tracks (it was a 14 track LP) being the A & B sides of their first two singles (Love Me Do & Please Please Me), which were already released.

Interestingly, The Beatles were back in Sheffield only a few weeks later on 2 March and then again on 16 March. Both concerts took place at the City Hall during the first wave of Beatlemania.

For the second of the City Hall shows, The Star organized a competition in which six of their readers could win a trip to the ABC Television Studios in Birmingham to meet the Beatles. Reviewing the concert in the Star, journalist Francis Mullins called it "the night when Sheffield went Beatle-barmy" and described how 4,000 "frenzied screamagers" yelled themselves hoarse during the two shows at the hall.

The Beatles played Sheffield again two months later when they appeared at the City Hall as part of a Roy Orbison package tour on 25 May 1963. Roy started the tour as headliner, but was moved to second on the bill after a few concerts, as the Beatles' popularity was growing daily.

Their fifth visit of 1963 was on November 2, again at the City Hall, where they were billed as headliners for the first time.

The Beatles' final City Hall concert took place a year later on November 9, 1964. Once again the Stringfellow brothers had a hand in it. Sheffield originally wasn't on the tour itinerary, but Pete & Geoff Stringfellow dropped in to see Brian Epstein at his London office to petition him to ensure that Sheffield was added. The brothers impressed Epstein and he not only agreed to the gig, but offered the brothers the opportunity of compering the City Hall concerts that evening instead of the tour compere Bob Bain.

The Beatles stayed overnight at the Park Hall Residential Country Club in Spinhill, near Sheffield, having landed on the lawn in front of the building by helicopter. The club later became the Parkhall Hotel and Restaurant.

Their seventh and final Sheffield appearance took place at the Gaumont Cinema, Barker's Pool on Wednesday 8 December 1965. It was their only appearance at this venue and was one of the very last concert dates the group performed in Britain (the last time the Beatles played live in front of an audience was at Candlestick Park, San Francisco on August 29, 1966)

Compering the Gaumont show was a local lad, Jerry Stevens of Seagrave Avenue, Gleadless. He said, "It is a big experience working with the Beatles and I have learned a lot. I said before I met them I thought they were the greatest. Now I think they are even better than I thought they were."

During the show Jerry presented them with two Top Stars Special awards. The first was for being voted the most popular group by the Sheffield readers of the paper, the second was for Help! voted the most popular single of the year.

Ironically, Seagrave Avenue runs off White Lane, which kind of takes us back to where we started. I can't help wondering if young Jerry was also in the audience for the Azena show.

thats a great story crucible77 that postcard must be worth a fortune now. Ive seen lots of items like this on Antiques Roadshow and to have a set list in John's own handwriting is a great item to own. it would be interesting if he'd have it valued just for insurance. Love to hear stories about the Beatles' early days and the part Sheffield played in them.

THE DEFINITIVE BEATLES IN SHEFFIELD

After a bit more research on the tracklisting for The Beatles show at The Azena Ballroom in Sheffield in 1963 some interesting facts have emerged.

Shortly after I posted this message on this board at the very end of June 2008 the setlisting which I got copied from the drummer in the support band (back in 1991)it has now appeared on a few Beatle fan sites.Although I have never submitted it I did let several fans have copies of mine some years ago and it looks like someone has put it into the public domain (possibly after reading this post as it's reproduced on a fan site - The link is below) which is great for all the Beatles fans to see.Indeed I am sure the original is still in my ex work colleagues possession.The written tracklist is by Paul NOT John and the support band was Mark Stone and The Aidens. (NOT Mike)

The most interesting fact is that it turns out that the show at The Azena Ballroom Gleadless was apparently NOT actually played on 12th February 1963 as it was long believed but actually took place on 2nd April 1963.

This would seem to be right as it was known that The Beatles appeared in Oldham on 12th February 1963.The day after recording their first album.For a while it was quoted they must have done BOTH dates in one day !

This is important in the Beatles history as The Azena show was believed to be the first time that the band actually played in Sheffield.However this means that The Azena show was actually the THIRD show in Sheffield as they had played at The Sheffield City Hall twice in the previous month.

The Beatles Live In Sheffield (7 DATES)

1963 2nd March Sheffield City Hall

1963 16th March Sheffield City Hall

1963 2nd April The Azena Ballroom

1963 25 May Sheffield City Hall

1963 2 November Sheffield City Hall, where they were billed as headliners for the first time at The City Hall.

1964 November 9 The Beatles' final City Hall

1965 8 December Their seventh and final Sheffield appearance took place at the Gaumont Cinema

For details of the Azena Show being in April see this link.

http://abbeyrd.best.vwh.net/news/722vintagesetlist.html

This is another link that shed queries on the original Beatles date.

http://wogew.blogspot.com/2008/07/beatles-at-azena-sheffield.html

THE BEATLES SOLO IN SHEFFIELD

The Beatles last played in Sheffield in 1965 and by the following August they had stopped touring altogether. However Paul McCartney has since played Sheffield and not a lot of people know that the first Beatle to play in Sheffield after the bands break up was in fact George Harrison.

GEORGE HARRISON (1 DATE)

1969 4th December 1969 Sheffield City Hall

Delaney & Bonnie & Friends On Tour with Eric Clapton (and George Harrison)

Musicians: Delaney Bramlett, Bonnie Bramlett, Eric Clapton, Dave Mason, Carl Radle, Jim Gordon, Bobby Whitlock, Jim Price, Tex Johnson, Rita Coolidge and George Harrison

PAUL McCARTNEY with WINGS (2 DATES)

1972 17th February Sheffield University

1973 4th July Sheffield City Hall

During the spring and early summer of 1973, Paul McCartney's band Wings performed a UK tour. The tour was for the purpose of promoting the band's latest album, Red Rose Speedway, as well as the single "Live and Let Die" from the James Bond film of the same name.Wings' lineup for the tour was Paul and Linda McCartney, Denny Laine, Henry McCullough, and Denny Seiwell.

PAUL McCARTNEY (2 DATES)

2003 5th April Sheffield Hallam FM Arena , Paul McCartney arrived in Sheffield to kick off the UK leg of his Back In The World tour.

2003 6th April Sheffield Hallam FM Arena, CANCELLED (Paul McCartney lost his voice)

2003 29th May Sheffield Hallam FM Arena Paul McCartney returned to Sheffield at the end of the tour to honour the 2nd night which had been cancelled in Sheffield.

I am sure this will make interesting reading.If anyone has any more information or queries please post and I will try to answer.

Beatles And Pop Memorabilia Wanted.

Any pop memorabilia considered, highest prices paid. Beatles, Stones, Who, Hendrix, Zeppelin, Floyd, 60’s, 70’s etc

We are looking for concert posters, programmes, tickets, flyers, autographs, lyrics, personal effects, photos, negatives and much more. Sorry only signed records considered.

For a free quotation contact TRACKS, PO Box 117, Chorley, Lancashire, PR6 0UU, England or e-mail [email protected]

1960's Beatles, Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, The Who concert posters WANTED thousands paid! We are also looking for any other 1960's and 70's concert memorabilia. Fantastic prices paid for Beatles autographs. For a free quote contact.

We are looking for any items from the 1960's and 1970's for artists such as The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, The Who for example concert posters, programmes, tickets, autographs and much much more. High prices paid. If you have anything please contact us for a quote.

Beatles And Pop Memorabilia Wanted.

Any pop memorabilia considered, highest prices paid. Beatles, Stones, Who, Hendrix, Zeppelin, Floyd, 60’s, 70’s etc

We are looking for concert posters, programmes, tickets, flyers, autographs, lyrics, personal effects, photos, negatives and much more. Sorry only signed records considered.

For a free quotation contact TRACKS, PO Box 117, Chorley, Lancashire, PR6 0UU, England or e-mail [email protected]

1960's Beatles, Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, The Who concert posters WANTED thousands paid! We are also looking for any other 1960's and 70's concert memorabilia. Fantastic prices paid for Beatles autographs. For a free quote contact.

We are looking for any items from the 1960's and 1970's for artists such as The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, The Who for example concert posters, programmes, tickets, autographs and much much more. High prices paid. If you have anything please contact us for a quote.

Have a programme from one of the Beatles concerts at the City Hall. Its a bit dogeared but wonder if its worth anything? Unfortunately not signed!

I went to see the Beatles about 1965 at the city hall, cant remember much but it was great all you did was scream, I also went to school with one of the stringfellow's brothers, i have forgotten his name, its been so long ago and they pulled the school down now it was Gleadless Valley on Mathews Lane. He lived in a flat at Hemsworth new the Hemsworth school. oh boy memories just shows how old we are, i also recall the Mojo club i think it was up pits moore way but havnt been over there for so long. anyone else reading this who went to Gleadless Valley Sec Mod give me a shout. Im Josie

I saw the Beatles at the City Hall,queued all day for the cheap seats at the back of the stage then watched mostly the back of the Beatles performing on the night. Great!!

Unfortunately the programme is not worth a great deal, maybe £20 to £30.