Sainsburys powdered mash potatoe

Sainsburys powdered mash potatoes has only 0.8g of sugar per 100g

great filler if you have diabetes and want to reduce sugar from main cooked meals.

How much sugar does freshly made mashed potato have? I can't understand why anyone would choose instant mash over the real thing unless it's for medical reasons.

How much sugar does freshly made mashed potato have? I can't understand why anyone would choose instant mash over the real thing unless it's for medical reasons.

Go to YouTube and search Cadburys Smash Robots for an explanation.

[/b]

Go to YouTube and search Cadburys Smash Robots for an explanation.

:hihi: They don't make ads like that any more.

Also good for thickening soup etc.

It is not only about the sugar but about the carbs which turn to sugar in your body,It has got 24 carbs per portion to high for a diabetic.

How much sugar does freshly made mashed potato have?

The ratio of boiled spud, the precursor to mash: carbohydrate is 5:1, so a big boiled spud weighing 250g has 50g carbohydrate and low/ no refined sugar.

I would also look at how much carbohydrate the rehydrated mash contains per 100g made up mash.

Natural mash is 20g CHO: 100g spud mash

---------- Post added 30-07-2017 at 23:44 ----------

It is not only about the sugar but about the carbs which turn to sugar in your body,It has got 24 carbs per portion to high for a diabetic.

I think there is an error in understanding. hi

Natural spud is 20g carb to 100g spud. So there is a difference of 20%, but it's not enormous and can be simply managed by more insulin or eating less rehydrated mash.

Eg imagine a you had a natural potato weighing 250g, boiled it and mashed it. This would be worth 250/5=50g carbs.

So now say you wanted 50g carbs from the rehydrated shop mash which has 6/5 (=24/20) the carb/100g natural mash.

So 250/ (6/5) =208g made up shop mash, rather than 250g natural mash.

At these amounts (250g natural, 208 rehydrated) both sorts of spud will give the person 50g carbs with no difference in the amount, type, goodness or badness of the carbs, ignoring any miniscule amounts of refined sugars one might find in a spud.

I should say I,ve got a diabetic carb book from Diabetes UK which lists carbs/g for common foods. It's pretty good.