Sheffield night life

There he goes - more of the Leeds bashing. According to ECCOnoob, perhaps every street in every city should be just like West Street.

I must have read a different post to the one you did - from what I read Ecconoob was saying there's a lot more to Sheffield than just West St.

There he goes - more of the Leeds bashing. According to ECCOnoob, perhaps every street in every city should be just like West Street. As far as can be seen, Sheffield caters for the student market and little else. It is merely Barnsley on a different scale. Unlike Sheffield, Leeds and Manchester, like London, draw from surrounding areas from 20 or more miles away, they also cater better for those in their 40s and above, and people there realise there are more than just students around. Why shouldn't Leeds have bars like Neighbourhood and the Alchemist, not to mention the Conran restaurants at Trinity and Victoriagate when it can clearly support them, owing to being more prosperous than Sheffield with a gaping GVA figure gap between the two cities? Through your eyes, why should people go to say Gaucho when they can go to Wetherspoons instead? The harsh reality is Leeds is years ahead of Sheffield and is likely to remain that way, and no amount of anti-Leeds drivel will alter that.

Only countering your Sheffield bashing and your anti-sheffield drivel.

No I dont want every street to be like West Street and that is the whole point of my posts.

There is lots more to Sheffield than West Street and lots of things that cater perfectly well for the over 40s. People need to take a walk around and open thier eyes to see what there is.

If you READ my post you will see that I have said we already have a selection of premium restaurants and bars in the specific locations where the trade is and for those who CHOOSE to use them.

The point I am making is that just becuase a "premium" level brand turns up, it does not automatically mean that everything else around it is inferior. People need to face facts that no matter how trendy or desirable or aspirational a venue, Not everyone wants it. Not everyone will choose to use it. We are not sheep.

To seemingly write those people off as if they are some lower class is obscene. Listen mush, not everything in your fabulous Leeds is so great. I am very familiar with the city and some drinking holes are complete dumps. JUST LIKE SHEFFIELD, Leeds has some posh parts, some trendy parts and some completely run down parts.

Quite frankly I could not give a toss what bar chains Leeds has compared to us. We have a very good mix which caters perfectly well for the population we have. Sheffield has never been and never will be a tourist hotspot except with the rare exception of specific events, and for anyone to have some deluded desire that it will be is nonsense.

Enough with the willy waving.

I must have read a different post to the one you did - from what I read Ecconoob was saying there's a lot more to Sheffield than just West St.

I suppose you could include Division Street and Devonshire Street - more of the haunts designed chiefly for students and the T-shirts and trainers. Leeds and Manchester simply blow Sheffield away when it comes down to choice and variety.

---------- Post added 09-07-2017 at 15:12 ----------

Only countering your Sheffield bashing and your anti-sheffield drivel.

No I dont want every street to be like West Street and that is the whole point of my posts.

There is lots more to Sheffield than West Street and lots of things that cater perfectly well for the over 40s. People need to take a walk around and open thier eyes to see what there is.

If you READ my post you will see that I have said we already have a selection of premium restaurants and bars in the specific locations where the trade is and for those who CHOOSE to use them.

The point I am making is that just becuase a "premium" level brand turns up, it does not automatically mean that everything else around it is inferior. People need to face facts that no matter how trendy or desirable or aspirational a venue, Not everyone wants it. Not everyone will choose to use it. We are not sheep.

To seemingly write those people off as if they are some lower class is obscene. Listen mush, not everything in your fabulous Leeds is so great. I am very familiar with the city and some drinking holes are complete dumps. JUST LIKE SHEFFIELD, Leeds has some posh parts, some trendy parts and some completely run down parts.

Quite frankly I could not give a toss what bar chains Leeds has compared to us. We have a very good mix which caters perfectly well for the population we have. Sheffield has never been and never will be a tourist hotspot except with the rare exception of specific events, and for anyone to have some deluded desire that it will be is nonsense.

Enough with the willy waving.

I know both Sheffield and Leeds well, and the sort of bars Leeds and Manchester gets pull people in from far and wide, injecting money into the local economy, not to mention their city centre businesses which prove to be a goldmine in the evenings. That is the way forwards for any aspiring city. For both Leeds and Manchester, their catchment areas can run to 50 or 70 miles from their city centres, overlapping with each other and with other cities catchment areas besides.

Edited by pss60

I suppose you could include Division Street and Devonshire Street - more of the haunts designed chiefly for students and the T-shirts and trainers. Leeds and Manchester simply blow Sheffield away when it comes down to choice and variety.

If you are not being obtuse you could also include things like Leopold Square, Millenium Square, Tudor Square, Kelham Island and Ecclesall Road.

Go on I'll bite. What exactly in "vareity" is lacking. Name me a type of venue (not just some brand name) which you think Sheffield is screaming out for?

Guest makapaka
There he goes - more of the Leeds bashing. According to ECCOnoob, perhaps every street in every city should be just like West Street. As far as can be seen, Sheffield caters for the student market and little else. It is merely Barnsley on a different scale. Unlike Sheffield, Leeds and Manchester, like London, draw from surrounding areas from 20 or more miles away, they also cater better for those in their 40s and above, and people there realise there are more than just students around. Why shouldn't Leeds have bars like Neighbourhood and the Alchemist, not to mention the Conran restaurants at Trinity and Victoriagate when it can clearly support them, owing to being more prosperous than Sheffield with a gaping GVA figure gap per head of population between the two cities? Even Sheffield's best bars can hardly be described as 'premium', and there certainly won't be an outlet of The Ivy opening in Sheffield, as its certainly not 'two for a tenner' there. Through your eyes, why should people go to say Gaucho when they can go to Wetherspoons instead, and of course your definition of savvy is going to the Bankers Draft instead of a bar like the Neighbourhood Restaurant. The harsh reality is Leeds is years ahead of Sheffield and is likely to remain that way, and no amount of anti-Leeds drivel will alter that.

Did you even read Ecconoobs post?

It depends what you're after - I virtually never go into town - but there's lot more to the city than the mainstream chain bars of west st/division st etc

If you are not being obtuse you could also include things like Leopold Square, Millenium Square, Tudor Square, Kelham Island and Ecclesall Road.

Go on I'll bite. What exactly in "vareity" is lacking. Name me a type of venue (not just some brand name) which you think Sheffield is screaming out for?

Lets not forget that Manchester and Leeds get far more visitors than Sheffield, with a higher average spend per visitor. With Leeds that average spend per visitor is two and a half times higher and for Manchester three and a half times higher. The bars in the places you mentioned in Sheffield are hardly what you'd call premium bars as they and more besides like them are also found in Manchester, Leeds, Liverpool and many other places, but with Leeds and Manchester there is a greater variety for all and for all budgets right up into the hundreds of pounds - the sort of sums that produce gasps of "arr much" - and that is the main reason why Bar and Grill failed in Leopold Square a few years ago, as if £18 for a steak was a cardinal sin. The London Club would follow it into oblivion a short while later for the same reason. Nobody would have batted an eyelid at that price in Manchester and Leeds let alone London. At the end of the day, places like Manchester and Leeds have thriving bars and restaurants that would have failed in Sheffield, and certainly not because they are bad places.

---------- Post added 09-07-2017 at 18:26 ----------

Did you even read Ecconoobs post?

I certainly do read them, and when they mention Leeds, its the usual anti-Leeds drivel.

---------- Post added 09-07-2017 at 18:28 ----------

It is down to whether they're screaming to come to Sheffield. We await to see whether Neighbourhood Restaurant, The Ivy, Dirty Martini, The Lost and Found, Gaucho, San Carlo, Tattu and the rest come to Sheffield.

Edited by pss60

Lets not forget that Manchester and Leeds get far more visitors than Sheffield, with a higher average spend per visitor. With Leeds that average spend per visitor is two and a half times higher and for Manchester three and a half times higher. The bars in the places you mentioned in Sheffield are hardly what you'd call premium bars as they and more besides like them are also found in Manchester, Leeds, Liverpool and many other places, but with Leeds and Manchester there is a greater variety for all and for all budgets right up into the hundreds of pounds - the sort of sums that produce gasps of "arr much" - and that is the main reason why Bar and Grill failed in Leopold Square a few years ago, as if £18 for a steak was a cardinal sin. The London Club would follow it into oblivion a short while later for the same reason. Nobody would have batted an eyelid at that price in Manchester and Leeds let alone London. At the end of the day, places like Manchester and Leeds have thriving bars and restaurants that would have failed in Sheffield, and certainly not because they are bad places.

---------- Post added 09-07-2017 at 18:26 ----------

I certainly do read them, and when they mention Leeds, its the usual anti-Leeds drivel.

---------- Post added 09-07-2017 at 18:28 ----------

It is down to whether they're screaming to come to Sheffield. We await to see whether Neighbourhood Restaurant, The Ivy, Dirty Martini, The Lost and Found, Gaucho, San Carlo, Tattu and the rest come to Sheffield.

Wow, you really are full of it. Stats that is, which of course you will happily provide me with verified links for.

So, you can unequivocally evidence that London Club and Bar and Grill failed solely because us penny pinching locals complained about the costs eh? Really? Couldn't possibly for one second be that perhaps they were found to be crap restaurants.

Interestingly, you do love bringing up that place. Several times you have mentioned it now. Did you have shares in it or something?? You certainly have a bee in your bonet about something since these 6 whinging posts are all you have contributed since you joined this forum yesterday.

Now if those bars in the places I have mentioned are so shoddy, what on earth are they doing showing their faces in your wonderous Leeds eh? Could it be perhaps, people do actually frequent them?

As for your totally irrelevant list of even more brand names, why dont you bother to READ WHAT I HAVE ASKED YOU.

Here is another reminder:

What exactly in "vareity" is lacking. Name me a type of venue (not just some brand name) which you think Sheffield is screaming out for?

How many more times do I have to say it. I could not give a toss what brands Leeds or Manchester or London has compared to Sheffield. Its what PRODUCT is being offered or in the case of your supposed argument lacking which is the crux of the issue. Now are we going to address it or are we just going to play a tit for tit game of listing companies.

Wow, you really are full of it. Stats that is, which of course you will happily provide me with verified links for.

So, you can unequivocally evidence that London Club and Bar and Grill failed solely because us penny pinching locals complained about the costs eh? Really? Couldn't possibly for one second be that perhaps they were found to be crap restaurants.

Interestingly, you do love bringing up that place. Several times you have mentioned it now. Did you have shares in it or something?? You certainly have a bee in your bonet about something since these 6 whinging posts are all you have contributed since you joined this forum yesterday.

Now if those bars in the places I have mentioned are so shoddy, what on earth are they doing showing their faces in your wonderous Leeds eh? Could it be perhaps, people do actually frequent them?

As for your totally irrelevant list of even more brand names, why dont you bother to READ WHAT I HAVE ASKED YOU.

Here is another reminder:

What exactly in "vareity" is lacking. Name me a type of venue (not just some brand name) which you think Sheffield is screaming out for?

How many more times do I have to say it. I could not give a toss what brands Leeds or Manchester or London has compared to Sheffield. Its what PRODUCT is being offered or in the case of your supposed argument lacking which is the crux of the issue. Now are we going to address it or are we just going to play a tit for tit game of listing companies.

pss60 is the same PS60 on skyscrapercity.com and PeteS on The Star website that regularly posts derogatory remarks about Sheffield while praising Leeds. He's been doing it for years, is very boring and very repetitive.

Yes he has a point, Sheffield doesn't have the bars/restaurants that other City's do and does suffer from not having a Monday - Thursday crowd like others but God does he bang the same drum over and over. :loopy:

Oh and by the way, The bar and grill failed because it was crap, end of. The London Club was run by a great chef but every single one of his establiments has failed IIRC

Edited by SheffBloke

The bickering and personal attacks can cease.

I have to say.. ECCOnoob, I agree with you all the way..

My experience is I've lived all over the country.. sheffield where I am currently,Lincoln,Grantham,Wales,Norfolk,Nottingham...also more in my early childhood days.. obviously my answer would be Lincoln as theres no place like home.. (good or bad).

I can say Manchester, Doncaster,Leeds is no better than Sheffield. I don't mean this in any bad way whatsoever but your bigging Manchester and Leeds up like it's everything with venues.. but I recall a devastating drama on the news a couple of months ago.. also London as all this forum will know.. so please do not sit there down grading county's .. you have to watch your back no matter where you are in the UK.

As for boasting about business​ is better in Manchester than it is Sheffield.. you obviously don't know jack do you, the only reason your business's would fail in Sheffield is because it couldn't handle the custom!

Especially with people who's stuck up their own back side with a knowlement not yet know ..haha yes I'm insulting your intelligence as explaining the values of "3 times more popular than Sheffield but 2 times more than Leeds etc" haha, I can't stop giggling..

Show me the figures of a popularity scale with all the cities mentioned.. your also forgetting there's a word called reputation.. this means how well it's liked or not liked.. popularity means how many has visited or not.. with likes & dislikes.

So tell me this.. if Sheffield has 100 visitors with a 5 star rating by all of them .... And Manchester has 200 visitors with 4 star ratings..

Tell me which is the best rated after 500,000 visitors visit each city?

I must say I'm not saying Sheffield is better than Leeds and visa versa.. but I have to write this demonstration as I noticed PSS whatever was trying to put a downer on the sheffield forum.. at the end of the day I can back sheffield up and say I've enjoyed it here more than my visits elsewhere as I travel the UK for a job!

Good day all;

Like it or not, having a city centre with bars that are more like what you'd find in Barnsley and Rotherham will hardly bring in people from outside the local area. Leeds has a nighttime economy double the size of Sheffields, and the bars and restaurants you'd get on Park Row and Greek Street, like the Alchemist, Gusto, Lost and Found, and the soon to be Neighbourhood Bar, you'd never see in Sheffield. For starters, Sheffielders would baulk at the prices, then wonder why nothing classy comes to Sheffield. Could you imagine Gaucho opening in Sheffield if people turned up their noses at Bar and Grill which went under a few years ago? As we've seen so many times before, restaurants which charge a little more in Sheffield have closed courtesy of the prevalent "arr much" attitude. No glitz and sticky floors seems to be the way forward in Sheffield and South Yorkshire. No wonder the likes of Leeds, Manchester and York completely blow Sheffield away.

Very true, well said!