Are fridge/freezers firebomb?

In rare cases, the compressor pump can seize then overheat and ignite excess fluff, paper etc that might be around.

A friend was saying that the problem is that many things are made from plastic, so they burn. It was said that fridges in the USA are safer because they use more metal and less plastic. Its down to what regulations they are made to.

Dont some countries have laws where all appliances must have (or at least the equivelent of) PAT testing? If grenfell tower was an office block, everything would (or at least should) have been tested. Should that be a law thats brought in - at least in high rise tower blocks?

Dont some countries have laws where all appliances must have (or at least the equivelent of) PAT testing? If grenfell tower was an office block, everything would (or at least should) have been tested. Should that be a law thats brought in - at least in high rise tower blocks?

Question is, who would pay for it, how often, and would it be just for large appliances such as fridges/freezers/cookers/tvs/microwaves? In addition there could be a up to a couple of dozen other devices in a household that rely on safe wiring/insulation.

Question is, who would pay for it, how often, and would it be just for large appliances such as fridges/freezers/cookers/tvs/microwaves? In addition there could be a up to a couple of dozen other devices in a household that rely on safe wiring/insulation.

If you are a landlord you must to the best of my knowledge have a gas boiler checked and serviced in a property you rent out. Im not sure if its the same case with any electrical appliances that are being supplied by a landlord. In the case of grenfell tower, it will be down to the council or management company. Again, all those things youve listed have to be tested if they were in an office or warehouse, pub etc - and theyre probably more likely to be newer and looked after.

In this diagram the back of the fridge has hot coils on it. On my machine there are no such coils and it's cold, colder than the room temperature. Why or how is this?

Sorry, can't answer you on that one, perhaps your model has a conventional compressor.

Whilst searching I came across this report from 2009 (the Hotpoint fridge model which was described as "exploding" was made between 2006 and 2009):

http://www.dailymail/news/article-1210334-alert-new-wave-exploding-fridges-caused-environmentally-friendly-coolant.html

Fridge freezers are left on all the time and therefor pose a bigger risk than other appliances. The videos showing plastic backed fridges burning uncontrollably after 90 seconds, compared to the metal backed ones which self extinguished after 20 minutes, makes me think the plastic backed ones should be banned in a similar way to upholstery foam in furniture. The price (sometimes marginal) isn't everything.

Edited by richb99

Looks like my Beko has a plastic (foamed) back, labelled C and I-Pentane, which is the type of insulation foam used and in many other makes.

I've asked LG the questions that I asked this forum but so far, one week after asking, they haven't replied. They may not do so of course, as they wouldn't want to admit that any fire hazard exists. I have always gotten the best answers from this forum plus good comments.

Eeek! … I have butane in my blowtorch as well as all the cigarette lighters I have knocking about for various things! :o:gag:

Thanks for this warning about butane being a flammable gas … I shall go henceforth to empty these items (in a responsible manner, you understand), and refill them with non-phlogisticatable carbon dioxide. (9982)

No, I wouldn't do that. Better to just ignore the whole thing. Order a yard of sand and bury your head in it. Or better still buy a fire extinguisher and fill up your room with CO2:)

Edited by woolyhead

No, I wouldn't do that. Better to just ignore the whole thing. Order a yard of sand and bury your head in it. Or better still buy a fire extinguisher and fill up your room with CO2:)

:huh:

Hmmm...

... now although I've thankfully never had need to try either of your DIY suggestions, I do have many years practical experience of what is required for your common or garden human being to survive, so I speak with a certain amount of authority when I say that, in my opinion, this is very dangerous advice! :o

Both burying your head in sand or filling your room up with carbon dioxide will both lead to the same inevitable consequences and SHOULD NOT be tried at home (or anywhere else, for that matter!)... :roll:

... although out of the two, filling your room with carbon dioxide would be slightly more preferable (albeit less practical and cost effective) in that it obviously has the advantage that any house plants would thrive! :idea:

Mod Note

Posts removed for attacking other users