Wicker closed by Police 02/07/2017

Wicker is a lot more safer then west street on a Friday /Saturday night, this one incident doesn't make it into a no go area....

It's not a no go area, but I feel safer at 3am around there, when I'm with a brother.

Do agree some parts of Sheffield is getting worse . not sure what the solutions are . or can be done :(

ive just been that they had been in the sadacca

ive been in the sadacca too, never been and stabbed anybody tho Oo

It's not a no go area, but I feel safer at 3am around there, when I'm with a brother.

A brother or your brother ?

a brother or your brother ?

a

Do agree some parts of Sheffield is getting worse . not sure what the solutions are . or can be done :(

Give the disadvantaged discriminated population reasonable jobs for decent pay without treating them like slaves.

Give the disadvantaged discriminated population reasonable jobs for decent pay without treating them like slaves.

absolute rubbish , disadvantaged how ? discriminated how ? slaves ?

They won't be wanting crappy jobs when they make plenty of money from drug pushing.

Rubbish,I lived in wicker for 29 years and never saw anything like this.

You actually live on the Wicker itself??

Most of the gun/stabbing attacks are supply-side conflict related to the drugs trade. The drugs trade in this country is worth more than our confectionery industry...something to ponder the next time you walk past the sweets aisle!

We are very behind when it comes to legislation and drugs policy and we all suffer as consequence.

Switzerland is often cited as the 'golden standard' when it comes to the issue of drugs and how they solved the problem. They did something really brave and it paid off.

Rather than fighting the drugs trade they undercut them. All IV drug users were offered pharmaceutical-grade heroin by the state. Guess what happened?

1. Drug overdoses plummeted to virtually zero because the medical-grade stuff is safe and controlled.

2. Crime plummeted by 80-85%. IV drug users account for the majority of acquisitive crime such as burglaries, muggings, shoplifting, begging, prostitution etc.

3. The supply-side of the drugs trade started to shrivel up naturally because the govt had scooped up their customers and took them under their wing.

Switzerland have had this system in place for 20 years now and they never want to go back to old American system of fighting a 'war on drugs'.

Most of the gun/stabbing attacks are supply-side conflict related to the drugs trade. The drugs trade in this country is worth more than our confectionery industry...something to ponder the next time you walk past the sweets aisle!

We are very behind when it comes to legislation and drugs policy and we all suffer as consequence.

Switzerland is often cited as the 'golden standard' when it comes to the issue of drugs and how they solved the problem. They did something really brave and it paid off.

Rather than fighting the drugs trade they undercut them. All IV drug users were offered pharmaceutical-grade heroin by the state. Guess what happened?

1. Drug overdoses plummeted to virtually zero because the medical-grade stuff is safe and controlled.

2. Crime plummeted by 80-85%. IV drug users account for the majority of acquisitive crime such as burglaries, muggings, shoplifting, begging, prostitution etc.

3. The supply-side of the drugs trade started to shrivel up naturally because the govt had scooped up their customers and took them under their wing.

Switzerland have had this system in place for 20 years now and they never want to go back to old American system of fighting a 'war on drugs'.

You'll never convince the majority in here with this type of solution, which is obvious to anyone with a brain.

Most people think, longer sentences, harsher punishments, hanging etc. All perhaps very reasonable if it worked. It doesn't though.

However, I would say that I don't quite agree with thoughts that criminal behaviour will just disappear at the rates proposed. They'll just move on to the next thing. That's how crime has progressed over thousands of years. It never goes away, it evolves like everything else does.

Yes I think the actual incident happened on Stanley Street because the police are still outside the pool hall as I write this so I'm guessing it was in there.

Wicker Lane was also closed off and as I came home from my own night out around 3:30am I wasn't allowed in my flat because I live above the pool hall and obviously it was a crime scene. Allowed in at about 5:30am but not allowed out until about 6pm when the police cordon was partially lifted.

I don't feel particularity unsafe in this area though, in my experience in general around here if you keep yourself to yourself you're unlikely to be involved in trouble.

I think a lot of the hate stems from racism, I'm white and the majority of the people who live in or visit this area are foreign, but it seems to have the same proportion of bad eggs as any predominantly white area.

I lived in the city centre last year for a year and have lived on the wicker for about a year so I feel like I'm qualified to say that I think the wicker is safer than the centre especially at night.

Edited by Super Hans