Wicker closed by Police 02/07/2017

Wicker isn't heaven but when people start calling it slum and rotten not for intelligent people I detect a certain air of hatred towards a different type of people.

No, The Wicker has always been like this, its not necessarily the people.

No, The Wicker has always been like this, its not necessarily the people.

Have you ever lived in wicker? I did for 29 years and I can assure you it was never like it is now.

True but has been said it's not about West St,facts only update opinions change,when people come out of the dark and see the light they then understand that the people make the area what it is not the name of it.

This is what I mean, "the people make the area what it is not the name of it"

Realistically that is true, it is the people, not the name.

If I read this statement without being told who said it I would see some truth in it.

However if I were told who said it I would interpret it very differently. Because then I would think that person has the intention to say this with the intention that certain people are good and other people are rotten and bad, unintelligent.

Edited by dutch

Have you ever lived in wicker? I did for 29 years and I can assure you it was never like it is now.

It's not only the Wicker what's changed,the whole world has,mostly for the good but unfortunately not always.

It's not only the Wicker what's changed,the whole world has,mostly for the good but unfortunately not always.

Youre right, rivelin is a good example of that.

I was working 7 days a week over in Brightside over Xmas and new year, typical day finished between 10pm and Midnight, I walked to Hillsborough each night, there were a few dubious characters from the wicker right down to Hillsborough, mostly either trying to sell me drugs or trying to beg some coinage.

I'm not a shrinking violet by any description so im not intimidated, I just simply decline their requests without trying to provoke anyone.

However I did almost get jumped by a couple of lads on bikes between shalesmoor and the Tesco on infirmary road, they stalked me for a few hundred yards several times circling back To follow me, I took a side street dropped my bag behind a wall and when they came up the road after me, I turned and asked if they had a problem? After some eyeballing they excused themselves.

I think you're always going to get the weird and not so wonderful in any area, especially during the late and early hours, they tend to be creeping around the streets, you need to be tuned into your surroundings and be alert.

No, but its always been downtrodden from what I recall in the 70s to the regeneration in the late 80s, early 90s. The streets and shops scruff (many now pulled down), the abandoned and derelict flats above the carpet place by Ladys Bridge, the rough old pubs and their customers. Didn't the cinema once change to one just showing smutty films?

I wasn't casting aspersions on the people there, more the fact that it is (or was) a wide main artery into the city which may be partly the reason.

But it wasn't some sort of inner city paradise.

Edited by alchresearch

I was working 7 days a week over in Brightside over Xmas and new year, typical day finished between 10pm and Midnight, I walked to Hillsborough each night, there were a few dubious characters from the wicker right down to Hillsborough, mostly either trying to sell me drugs or trying to beg some coinage.

I'm not a shrinking violet by any description so im not intimidated, I just simply decline their requests without trying to provoke anyone.

However I did almost get jumped by a couple of lads on bikes between shalesmoor and the Tesco on infirmary road, they stalked me for a few hundred yards several times circling back To follow me, I took a side street dropped my bag behind a wall and when they came up the road after me, I turned and asked if they had a problem? After some eyeballing they excused themselves.

I think you're always going to get the weird and not so wonderful in any area, especially during the late and early hours, they tend to be creeping around the streets, you need to be tuned into your surroundings and be alert.

exactly

It could be adrug dealer up pitsmoor or on the wicker, a pisshead thats come out of a club on west street, a chav in woodhouse, a footy fan in hillsborough.

To me its generally about luck, are you around at the wrong time, everywhere can have an issue occasionly, some more than others.

No, but its always been downtrodden from what I recall in the 70s to the regeneration in the late 80s, early 90s. The streets and shops scruff (many now pulled down), the abandoned and derelict flats above the carpet place by Ladys Bridge, the rough old pubs and their customers. Didn't the cinema once change to one just showing smutty films?

I wasn't casting aspersions on the people there, more the fact that it is (or was) a wide main artery into the city which may be partly the reason.

But it wasn't some sort of inner city paradise.

I think the people who are living in them now(or were the last time I was there) would not agree with you.

Guest makapaka
are you slow? Or just facetious?

Or just haven't bothered reading any of the thread at all? :loopy:

Neither - thank you for the unnecessary insult.

Didn't the cinema once change to one just showing smutty films?.

Sheffield main film and theatre featrure production is full Monty.

Edited by dutch

The footfall on West is street is also about 1000 times more than the Wicker .... so the comparison is flawed :roll:

It's not a comparison of the crime rate, it's a comparison of the way people declare an area to be unsafe due to the crime rate, which however you cut it, is higher on West Street.