Wicker closed by Police 02/07/2017

Before I get into this, you're basically going to go with the logic of "if something bad to you as an individual doesn't happen then it's a safe and beautiful area"?

If that is true than it works both ways, it is neither a safe nor an unsafe area.

Wicker isn't beautiful, it is ok and lots of potential but that is not yet taking off.

If that is true than it works both ways, it is neither a safe nor an unsafe area.

Wicker isn't beautiful, it is ok and lots of potential but that is not yet taking off.

There's been two stabbings / assaults over the last week there pal. It's got a pharmacy that is well known for having drug addicts walking in and out of every 10 minutes for their morphine. It's known for large crowds of youths loitering in and around chicken shops and now seemingly the snooker / pool place.

It's a slum with one or two fancy lit restaurants.

I've had to use the pharmacy a few times late at night and apart from the odd scrag head (which you find all over town) it appeared to be a deserted part of town..

Also been through a few times during the day on a jaunt to Kelham Island and had no issues or felt threatened at any time..

Every area has its issues..

"I have walked in this area before and not had any trouble therefore it is a very safe area" hahhahahhaha such a weak and pathetic point of view.

You're a right charmer aren't you?

I've had to use the pharmacy a few times late at night and apart from the odd scrag head (which you find all over town) it appeared to be a deserted part of town..

Also been through a few times during the day on a jaunt to Kelham Island and had no issues or felt threatened at any time..

Every area has its issues..

DC, this is an authentic statement from chelle.

What you said about stabbing is also true.

I don't think wicker is fantastic but see great potential in the area and would like to continue not by focusing on the negative aspects of the area. If you do want to destroy something by just looking at the worst aspects of it it saddens me to see someone who claims to care for Sheffield do it the way you do.

I knocked about down there in the 70s in the Cow,Lion ect so don't call me a parrot,I also went through most days to work and the stabbings ect didn't happen then, you seem to know sod all about this city of ours so climb out of Cyclones Backside and give your own opinion if you have one.

their was no social media back in the 70's, hence why it wasnt publicised like it is these days...

I dont think Wicker is that bad personally, DC two stabbings?? i thought it was only one and that was from clubbers in sadacca whom were probably from out of town as they have a end of month bash there and crowds come from all over yorkshire to it.

While passing through the Wicker on the bus, the newsagent on the corner of Stanley street always seems to attract unsavoury characters just hanging around, usually parking irresponsibly.

i've used the cash machine on the side of the newsagents before, although I'm not going to lie, the unsavoury characters are a little intimidating, I've always found they'll move out of my way and have never given me any bother

the worst thing about that part of the wicker is trying to avoid the street drinkers on methadone day at the pharmacy, it's like a zombie horde

Guest makapaka

This thread is daft.

No one is going to be able to disprove / prove their argument base on personal experience.

Let's face it - you're not automatically going to be knifed if you walk down there.

Similarly - it's by no means the best part of town and adjacent areas have had recent issues with crime - so there's no point pretending any different.

Before I get into this, you're basically going to go with the logic of "if something bad to you as an individual doesn't happen then it's a safe and beautiful area"?

The opposite side to this argument seems to be "if something bad happens and is in the press and happens to conform to my pre existing views, then my views are correct and no further evidence is required or will be considered"... Which is, well, not logic is it.

---------- Post added 05-07-2017 at 12:13 ----------

Exactly right, it's where all the "trendy" idiots go for a night out, and trouble follows

West Street isn't trendy, it's popular.

---------- Post added 05-07-2017 at 12:15 ----------

If you don't walk around these areas you'll never get any bother,if you do you are tempting fate and have good chance of bother.

Statistics don't lie, the city centre is a more dangerous place...

And there are numerous anecdotes in this thread alone of people walking around the area and being safe. So clearly the chance of "bother" is really very low.

---------- Post added 05-07-2017 at 12:16 ----------

What on earth for???

Made up story alert, me thinks, yep yep yep.

My mate lives in Darnall, I call most weeks and we go for a walk for an hour or two.

I must admit it was more pleasant to walk around Anston Stones when he lived there.

He rented in Anston, he bought in Darnall, he's not going to move back despite the walks being nicer.

West Street isn't trendy, it's popular.

:hihi:

It is if you live in Whitby! :D