George Green Walkley

I notice the building on the corner of South Road and Walkley Lane has been renovated. As a result the name stone on the gable end has been repainted and reads George Green. I had never noticed it before despite using the junction hundreds of times.

Does anyone know if that is the name of that corner or the building itself? Or is it possibly a person, the builder for eg.

Guest makapaka
I notice the building on the corner of South Road and Walkley Lane has been renovated. As a result the name stone on the gable end has been repainted and reads George Green. I had never noticed it before despite using the junction hundreds of times.

Does anyone know if that is the name of that corner or the building itself? Or is it possibly a person, the builder for eg.

There's a builder called George green whose van I see regularly in walkley / Hillsboro area so assume it's them.

Around 1968, a friend operated out of those those premises when he was a salesman for Alex Owen rental tvs.

There's a builder called George green whose van I see regularly in walkley / Hillsboro area so assume it's them.

Interesting. The stone looks new but the building is old so possibly the builder renovating it sort of "signed" it.

---------- Post added 29-06-2017 at 19:09 ----------

Around 1968, a friend operated out of those those premises when he was a salesman for Alex Owen rental tvs.

I can only remember it from about 1980 onwards.

Guest makapaka
Interesting. The stone looks new but the building is old so possibly the builder renovating it sort of "signed" it.

---------- Post added 29-06-2017 at 19:09 ----------

I can only remember it from about 1980 onwards.

Yes i believe it was just a loft conversion / extension - it wasn't a new build.

I know George Green very well as bit of a legend in walkley

Top man is George

I know George Green very well as bit of a legend in walkley

Top man is George

Do you know if he placed the name stone on the building?

He could have that's the type of thing

George would do

Well lets hope so, he will be remembered for a long time with that reminder.

Yes It's George Green the builder who renovated the building last year, my partner helped him lay the stone

I was wondering this myself and had (incorrectly) assumed that it referred to the location (i.e. the area of that junction used to be known as "George Green").

Nice to find out the truth, even if it is slightly more mundane!