Mileage issue used car

I,ve just picked up my new but used vehicle today from a main dealer who at the moment shall remain nameless. The docs say 14500 miles and was clearly advertised as such but having picked up today the mileage was 22500 miles, now I did test drive it but was more concerned with the ride quality than looking at the odometer, granted I should have paid more attention.

I'm in a quandry as to how to approach this with the very friendly and approachable staff, I genuinely think this is an honest mistake but would impact my resale of this vehicle as effectively this is 1yrs mileage more on average.

Has anybody else experienced this and has anyone any suggestions p.s the value is 15k so not to be sniffed at but i did get what I thought and still think considering the above a good deal. :roll:

If it states the lower mileage on the sales slip then you have been sold a vehicle not as described.

I would calculate what the difference is in the book price for your vehicle between the two mileages and ask for that amount be refunded.

I would do as Jim Hardie has suggested,having said that how old is the car at 22500 miles it should be 2yrs old?.Also is it a diesel and what make and model is it?,if its a top range motor BMW or Mercedes you may have a bargain anyway!.I know how you feel I was nearly ripped off good style in the 70s with a VW beetle by a reputable main dealer,I was shown the door but I didn,t let it lay,I contacted VW Germany by letter and they made the dealer exchange the car for a new model!.Don,t be fobbed off,good luck!.

Just speak to the dealer to see what they say about it. Maybe they can give you free servicing for x years or something if not a partial refund.

Yes its a diesel, that was my compromise I wanted petrol due to the uncertainty of diesel engines and the obvious green issue. Toyota Rav 4 2 year old. 15 Reg

In all fairness it's probably a better deal for you, diesel engines with low mileage have usually done lots of short/city driving which causes all sorts of problems.

Your has probably done loads of motorway miles, I'd bet the engine is in great condition.

However higher miles still effects the value so see what you can negotiate.

If it's only two years old it will have been serviced can you not tell from the service history,

when mine is serviced each year they put down the millage at each service, it could just be a type o mistake as it's partially impossible to change the millage in modern day cars.

Piece of cake on VW's from what I hear, not sure about Toyota's.

Piece of cake on VW's from what I hear, not sure about Toyota's.

Mileage can be changed on many cars nowadays.....

Mileage can be changed on many cars nowadays.....

Unfortunately that's very true.

Like you say it seems to be a simple mistake. Hopefully when you point it out to them they will give you freebies to make up for the difference in value.

I would do it asap though or they could start questioning how many miles you have put on it.

You would be far pushed to get that amount on though :hihi:

Right... I would advertise them to anybody buying a car they have been absolutely fantasic all the way through hence they admitted it was an admin error and couldn't apologise enough.

The general manager admitted he had no idea how it had happened, and asked ''what I wanted to make me happy''

My reply was the ball is in your court, to which he replied '' He thought about providing free servicing for 2 years - as you do I asked for 3 years free servicing which he had no hesitation in accepting - to be honest because they felt so embarrassed and told me the truth instead of trying to cover up the error I would have probably accepted the apology and a free mug lol

but hey ho if you don't try you don't get :thumbsup:

Great people and an honest and professional outfit - please use Toyota Chesterfield you won't be disappointed, but DO check the mileage :)