Come back Thursday for a Drs appointment

Alot of this is due to people demanding to see a doctor when nothing wrong with them. OAP's seem to love going every week to check whether they got hurt when the wind got over 10mph.

I believe there are a few drop in centres for seeing a GP. The wait is horrendous but you will be seen eventually.

I was down at Northern General Hospital the other day, and noticed a new building next to the main Hospital (Accident and Emergency) entrance, which said 'GPs' on it. I don't think it was open yet. Anybody know what this is going to be and when it will be open?

Been there ages, I've been to it about 5 years ago I think.( Actually might not have been a new building but was definitely a GP in northern general.

I've also been to the walk in, in town, a few times and never waited more than 15 minutes.

I find that if I ring my surgery before 0830hrs I get an appointment that day.

If I ring any later I will get an appointment for the following week. If that happens I say ' no thanks' and ring before 0830 hrs the next day obtaining an appointment for that day.

Alot of this is due to people demanding to see a doctor when nothing wrong with them. OAP's seem to love going every week to check whether they got hurt when the wind got over 10mph.

Oh dear. Stereotyping. Nasty.

Not nice. You there often enough then to substantiate your comments?

I would like to make a positive comment about my experience of our health service and my local surgery this week. Being in my seventies and having experienced palpitations and dizziness on lifting something last week, I made an appointment on-line to see my GP . The appointment was in two weeks time and, as I felt ok, I was happy enough with this whilst knowing more urgent options were available should I feel unwell again. I was encouraged by friends to seek an earlier consultation either with my doctor's surgery or by going to hospital, a drop- in centre or phoning the help line.

So last Tuesday I was able to go on-line at 8am (I could have phoned) and by 4.30 the same day was being examined by an excellent doctor at our local surgery. I waited less than an hour. Today I returned to the surgery for ECG and also had a portable ECG machine attached for 24 hour monitoring. Tomorrow I am returning for appropriate blood tests and attachment of a blood pressure monitor for 24 hours. The next day I am to return for more care and, possibly, advice.

The doctor, nurses and reception staff have all been sympathetic, caring and professional and soon I will have a full diagnosis and access to necessary treatment.

I don't consider this as a right (apart from having paid my national insurance and taxes). It is something to be grateful and thankful for especially given the pressures on the NHS from not least the limited resources, constraints and criticism it has to cope with from more than one direction.

Thank you, NHS and my local surgery!

Edited by johnlittle

Where is the walk in centre anyone, my Mrs is in agony and has still not seen a doctor .