Come back Thursday for a Drs appointment

If the people moaning about this voted Tory they need to take a massive look at themselves.

Seriously

The disgraceful attack on immigrants and anyone quoting the posts have been removed. Any further posts will result in a suspension.

its normal these days to have to wait for a doctor to ring you,may take several hours to decide if you are ill enough to be seen,so if not dead by then ,the doctor will see you,its called tory cuts,what happened to turn up any week day and sit and wait,have a fag with the doctor and sort out whats wrong with you? the good old days

its normal these days to have to wait for a doctor to ring you,may take several hours to decide if you are ill enough to be seen,so if not dead by then ,the doctor will see you,its called tory cuts,what happened to turn up any week day and sit and wait,have a fag with the doctor and sort out whats wrong with you? the good old days

If by chance you actually get in to see the Doctor then whatever you do do not attempt to discuss more than one illness that is worrying you , as the last time I tried that I was told that only the one can be discussed on each visit as 10 min is the maximum allowed and I must make another appointment for anything else.

So the whole rigmarole starts all over again .

What are our elected Members of Parliament doing to sort this out is it a Government problem or is it the medical practices who are at fault.

Does the same thing happened in the more privileged circles of OUR society or do they get instant treatment as per often seen on TV..

I can only speak for my GP who is happy to deal with several issues during an appointment and will also if need be, allocate extra time.

If by chance you actually get in to see the Doctor then whatever you do do not attempt to discuss more than one illness that is worrying you , as the last time I tried that I was told that only the one can be discussed on each visit as 10 min is the maximum allowed and I must make another appointment for anything else.

So the whole rigmarole starts all over again .

What are our elected Members of Parliament doing to sort this out is it a Government problem or is it the medical practices who are at fault.

Does the same thing happened in the more privileged circles of OUR society or do they get instant treatment as per often seen on TV..

Must vary from practice to practice. I went for an asthma review and went out with a referral for a dodgy Achilles' tendon.

I believe there are a few drop in centres for seeing a GP. The wait is horrendous but you will be seen eventually.

I was down at Northern General Hospital the other day, and noticed a new building next to the main Hospital (Accident and Emergency) entrance, which said 'GPs' on it. I don't think it was open yet. Anybody know what this is going to be and when it will be open?

Guest sibon

I was down at Northern General Hospital the other day, and noticed a new building next to the main Hospital (Accident and Emergency) entrance, which said 'GPs' on it. I don't think it was open yet. Anybody know what this is going to be and when it will be open?

I think that it is to help you to find your way around.

(Other GPS jokes are available)

Are they doing it to meet government targets I wonder, so that it appears that no-one is waiting more than three weeks?

More than likely, the same thing was happening under Blair.

However at that time you were not allowed to book an appointment, for a non-urgent matter, any time in advance of the current day. So, for instance, if you were not at work on Friday and wanted an appointment for Friday you had to ring early Friday morning and hope to get an appointment if you were lucky. Most people in Britain knew of this except for Blair. The target had been set that patients must be seen within a set time that an appointment was made. It did not matter that the patient did not want an immediate appointment, rules were rules, targets are targets.

Why is it that if you visit the surgery and ask for an appointment it is the policy that you must wait three weeks but if you ring up you can get an appointment the same day :loopy:

I know of an instance at a visit to reception where an appointment for that day was asked for but the only time offered was in three weeks ... however a home visit was arranged for that same day :huh:

Are they doing it to meet government targets I wonder, so that it appears that no-one is waiting more than three weeks?

I suspect I had this happen to me in a similar circumstance. I was asked which hospital I wanted a minor Op carried out. I made my choice and away I went with my paperwork to wait for the appointment. 6 weeks later I receive a letter from my GP stating the hospital I chose has cancelled my request and has given no reason. If I wanted to go ahead with the Op I needed to rearrange an appointment with the GP to go through the process once again.

I suspect I had this happen to me in a similar circumstance. I was asked which hospital I wanted a minor Op carried out. I made my choice and away I went with my paperwork to wait for the appointment. 6 weeks later I receive a letter from my GP stating the hospital I chose has cancelled my request and has given no reason. If I wanted to go ahead with the Op I needed to rearrange an appointment with the GP to go through the process once again.

The three weeks comments keep on being quoted it seems as though it is now normal in Sheffield .

I believe there are a few drop in centres for seeing a GP. The wait is horrendous but you will be seen eventually.

It's the new out oof hours GP service. You need to ring 111 to get an appointment.

Here you go: http://www.sth.nhs.uk/news/news?action=view&newsID=901

There are also several other collaboratives operating around the city for out of hours care, you need to ring 111 first and they will direct you to the most appropriate. For example, I've taken my son to a Dr's surgery in Crookes a couple of times on a Sunday as they work in collaboration with Walkley surgery to provide out of hours care.

To the OP, just call 111 and it will be sorted.

Edited by barleycorn