The right to own a firearm.

The right to own a firearm  

72 members have voted

1. 1. The right to own a firearm

• Yes I should have the right to own a firearm and prepared to use it
    • Limited right to own a firearm under limited guide lines
    • No person unless under licence should own a firearm
    • Not sure would need to look into it

Try and take this argument to a forum with a large amount of American users. The fun you'll have ;);)

No ta!

But from the little I know the laws on storing guns in the US are different (and probably differ from state to state). In some places you can just leave them lying around the house loaded, in drawers or cupboards or whatever, quite legally.

I own a rifle for target shooting. If a burglar broke in order to "defend myself" with it I'd have to:-

1. Get the keys to the gun cabinet

2. Unlock said cabinet and take rifle out.

3. Go to separate ammo safe, unlock same, take ammo out.

4. Load the mag.

5. Ready.

By this time burglar bill would probably be 200 yards off, carrying my telly or whatever.

I understand people's anxiety about violent crime but our society isn't as it was; freer access to stuff like handguns would inevitably mean more violent crime, surely?

.........that sounds like a scenario from a "Rupert Annual"........what happens if "Burglar Bill" is a hardened criminal recently once again released from jail,and interested in not just a "telly" but cash and jewellery which he was informed whilst in jail you may just have.You give him what you have at the point of a large knife, but he doesn't believe you have given him everything and that you have more there is no reasoning with him he has already lunged at you with the knife.He starts to get very angry and agitated and threatens you and other family members that may be around with ultimate violence. you have given everything,there is no more but he is not going to accept that,...........so you go to a drawer at the side of the bed where a loaded air pistol is kept.............what happens next? all I know is that me and my families survival is more important than his! Edited by mossdog

all I know is that my and my families survival is more important than his!

I agree with you on that but what I am saying is that just owning a firearm legally in this country is not going to help you in most cases of violent burglary.

If you don't keep it locked away safe and secure as the law demands then you will find yourself in trouble. The cricket bat route is legal and you can get your hands on one much easier.

.........that sounds like a scenario from a "Rupert Annual"........what happens if "Burglar Bill" is a hardened criminal recently once again released from jail,and interested in not just a "telly" but cash and jewellery which he was informed whilst in jail you may just have.You give him what you have at the point of a large knife, but he doesn't believe you have given him everything and that you have more there is no reasoning with him.He starts to get very angry and agitated and threatens you and other family members that may be around with ultimate violence. you have given everything,there is no more but he is not going to accept that,...........so you go to a drawer at the side of the bed where a loaded air pistol is kept.............what happens next? all I know is that my and my families survival is more important than his!

And they may well have to visit you in jail if anything kicks off and you use it, although I do acknowledge the "better judged by twelve than carried out by six" mentality.

However, how often does the situation you describe happen to average families in the U.K.? I've no figures (I'm guessing you don't either) but it's not a huge number.

No ta!

But from the little I know the laws on storing guns in the US are different (and probably differ from state to state). In some places you can just leave them lying around the house loaded, in drawers or cupboards or whatever, quite legally.

and do stuff like this

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-40438207

All handguns and automatic rifles should be banned for public use. They're for killing other people.......nothing else and not one person here has the right to do that.

take a look over the pond at the suicide rate in the USA. Firearms account for 50% of them .

They try to keep it quiet but 60% of all gun deaths in the USA are suicide rather than homicide .

The problem with easily available firearms is they make it far too simple and convenient to successfully kill yourself. Its often documented that many suicide attempts are a cry for help except once you've put a bullet through your head there is no coming back.

edit - also look at suicide & domestic shootings v homicides in Switzerland & Finland for a more European view

Good point. Access to guns is one of the reasons why it's often thought that suicide rates are so high for farmers.

Similarly, I would think that a lot of murders in the US would merely be punch ups, or arguments if the same flare up happened in his country. Imagine a domestic argument, drunken, heated, possibly physical violence involved. Could easily turn into something far more serious if there's a gun in the house.

And all these school shootings. They're generally ****** off, bullied, unpopular kids with a grudge on everyone else. Without the means to obliterate your class mates in one fell swoop, it's pretty difficult to "get your own back" in such a devastating way. Sure, there have been terrible instances - that teacher stabbed in Leeds for example, but imagine how much worse it would be if that kid could have laid his hands on his mum's handbag gun?

Good point. Access to guns is one of the reasons why it's often thought that suicide rates are so high for farmers.

Similarly, I would think that a lot of murders in the US would merely be punch ups, or arguments if the same flare up happened in his country. Imagine a domestic argument, drunken, heated, possibly physical violence involved. Could easily turn into something far more serious if there's a gun in the house.

And all these school shootings. They're generally ****** off, bullied, unpopular kids with a grudge on everyone else. Without the means to obliterate your class mates in one fell swoop, it's pretty difficult to "get your own back" in such a devastating way. Sure, there have been terrible instances - that teacher stabbed in Leeds for example, but imagine how much worse it would be if that kid could have laid his hands on his mum's handbag gun?

Exactly. The Dunblane killings were done with legally held pistols. The fact is it took two incidences (Dunblane and Hungerford) for the UK to pretty much wipe out gun ownership, sometimes we get it right.

[/b]Exactly. The Dunblane killings were done with legally held pistols. The fact is it took two incidences (Dunblane and Hungerford) for the UK to pretty much wipe out gun ownership, sometimes we get it right.

Do we have a problem with gun crime? I have read about knife crime being on the increase.

Should people need a good reason to own a hunting knife, it seems its illegal to carry a knife.

Do we have a problem with gun crime? I have read about knife crime being on the increase.

Should people need a good reason to own a hunting knife, it seems its illegal to carry a knife.

To the extent that America has, no, we don't but there are still crimes involving guns. Knives are a different proposition, they aren't so easy to deal with simply because you can buy one in many high street stores. Kitchens have an array of knives razor sharp so they're available to everyone​.

I'm assuming as far as selling goes some form of I'd is required to purchase one?

To the extent that America has, no, we don't but there are still crimes involving guns. Knives are a different proposition, they aren't so easy to deal with simply because you can buy one in many high street stores. Kitchens have an array of knives razor sharp so they're available to everyone​.

I'm assuming as far as selling goes some form of I'd is required to purchase one?

You don't need ID to buy a kitchen knife.

Correction....it's illegal to sell any knife to anyone under 18. How strictly that's enforced I don't know.

Edited by Bonzo77

You don't need ID to buy a kitchen knife

Well there you go then. But even with that, it's so simple to arm yourself.

Just seen your edit.

Edited by silentP