The right to own a firearm.

The right to own a firearm  

72 members have voted

1. 1. The right to own a firearm

• Yes I should have the right to own a firearm and prepared to use it
    • Limited right to own a firearm under limited guide lines
    • No person unless under licence should own a firearm
    • Not sure would need to look into it

Some of our friends across the pond think we're bonkers for not arming ourselves. The higher crime rates in places like Chicago have quite tough gun and knife laws. Those with open carry laws, if you're to believe the hype, have far lower crime rates.

They can think what they like, I'm quite happy that we opted out of that particular trend. I don't think Americans could cope without them now, it's so entrenched that life without would be scary, though I gather there's an even split for tighter restrictions, there is also (according to one survey) a difference of opinion between Democrats and Republicans on ownership and use.

Some of our friends across the pond think we're bonkers for not arming ourselves. The higher crime rates in places like Chicago have quite tough gun and knife laws. Those with open carry laws, if you're to believe the hype, have far lower crime rates.

I can believe those stats, but the argument is a bit disingenuous. Vermont is often quoted as being an example of low crime, high concealed carry rates. But Vermont doesn't have a large city like Chicago in it.

Where you have high rates of real poverty and easy access to firearms I think you will get violent crime. Chicago may have tough gun laws but other states do not and guns bought elsewhere can end up in Chicago quite easily.

It's asking the question whether we should!

Not in his opening statement. He states he owns a gun but in the second paragraph he asks if we should be allowed to defend ourself in our own home, which by the way, we are.

The poll asks if we should have the right to own a gun but that would mean a change in the law to change it from a privilege to a right.

And who is going to agree to that stupid idea?

Not in his opening statement. He states he owns a gun but in the second paragraph he asks if we should be allowed to defend ourself in our own home, which by the way, we are.

The poll asks if we should have the right to own a gun but that would mean a change in the law to change it from a privilege to a right.

And who is going to agree to that stupid idea?

Hopefully never enough to make the difference but there are always pockets reserved for silly folk :D

Hopefully never enough to make the difference but there are always pockets reserved for silly folk :D

Let's just hope that if there are and if they do they run their campaign like May's election campaign! :)

how many armed people have broke into your home lately?

Guns are like parachutes. You don't need one until you need one and if you don't have one you will never need one again.

I feel it should be my choice not the governments. But at the same time I am glad they don't let anyone else have one because I don't trust anyone else to have one.

Still ****** I can't get one though.

They're nothing like parachutes. Having a parachute doesn't mean that an intruder comes armed with a parachute and is willing to use it first, your own parachute is never likely to be used against you, your child will never find your parachute and accidentally kill you or themselves, a disaffected teenager will never kill tens of their friends with a parachute.

They're nothing like parachutes. Having a parachute doesn't mean that an intruder comes armed with a parachute and is willing to use it first, your own parachute is never likely to be used against you, your child will never find your parachute and accidentally kill you or themselves, a disaffected teenager will never kill tens of their friends with a parachute.

Your child may find your parachute and try jumping off a high building tho, killing themselves in the process ;)

If that happens (enough times) then I'll be fully behind parachute control laws.

Guns are like parachutes. You don't need one until you need one and if you don't have one you will never need one again.

You only need a parachute if you're jumping out of a plane. Most people have never had one and most people will never need one. Just like guns after all but not in the way you think.

.........that sounds like a scenario from a "Rupert Annual"........what happens if "Burglar Bill" is a hardened criminal recently once again released from jail,and interested in not just a "telly" but cash and jewellery which he was informed whilst in jail you may just have.You give him what you have at the point of a large knife, but he doesn't believe you have given him everything and that you have more there is no reasoning with him he has already lunged at you with the knife.He starts to get very angry and agitated and threatens you and other family members that may be around with ultimate violence. you have given everything,there is no more but he is not going to accept that,...........so you go to a drawer at the side of the bed where a loaded air pistol is kept.............what happens next? all I know is that me and my families survival is more important than his!

He'd wrestle it off you and shoot you in the face.

I've got a rifle and three shotguns but it would not occur to me to use them, even in self defence. I'd let the scrotes take my wife's jewellery and whatever money we have in the house and hope they then buggah off

I think in a situation like the one you described, you will not be able to act soberly but I like your attitude and your gun collection :hihi:.

Edited by Mario Turner