The right to own a firearm.

The right to own a firearm  

72 members have voted

1. 1. The right to own a firearm

• Yes I should have the right to own a firearm and prepared to use it
    • Limited right to own a firearm under limited guide lines
    • No person unless under licence should own a firearm
    • Not sure would need to look into it

Well there you go then. But even with that, it's so simple to arm yourself.

Very true!

To the extent that America has, no, we don't but there are still crimes involving guns. Knives are a different proposition, they aren't so easy to deal with simply because you can buy one in many high street stores. Kitchens have an array of knives razor sharp so they're available to everyone​.

I'm assuming as far as selling goes some form of I'd is required to purchase one?

I suppose knives are a bit like cars, or gas fires, or anything potentially-dangerous-but-far-too-useful-to-even-think-about-banning.

I don't think you need ID as such, just proof you're over 18. I had to produce proof of age to buy a pair of sewing scissors recently. I was also buying some glue, so I flagged up for two things in one transaction. Craft projects are perilous don't you know!

Anything designed for killing another human should not be sold to any member of the public.

Hunting rifles and knifes should be given out with strict licencing laws, like they are in the UK, anything else should be kept to the military.

That goes for the US and anywhere else too.

I suppose knives are a bit like cars, or gas fires, or anything potentially-dangerous-but-far-too-useful-to-even-think-about-banning.

I don't think you need ID as such, just proof you're over 18. I had to produce proof of age to buy a pair of sewing scissors recently. I was also buying some glue, so I flagged up for two things in one transaction. Craft projects are perilous don't you know!

Hey, craft projects are nothing. They ask for proof of age round our way for purchasing eggs at Halloween.

You don't need ID to buy a kitchen knife.

Correction....it's illegal to sell any knife to anyone under 18. How strictly that's enforced I don't know.

We were at a car boot sale last year, on one of the stalls the bloke had what looked like one of those hunting knives about 12 inches long. A lad who looked about 14 picked it up, started waving it about and stabbing the air with it, he asked the bloke how much it was and just as he was telling him I said 'you're not thinking of selling him that are you' he asked me why? and I said it was probably illegal and anyhow the lad was clearly an idiot.

He then refused to sell it him, but probably did later after we'd moved off.

The point is knives are easily available to anyone who wants one even with the present laws, but personally I think the law's about right for guns in the U.K. So that they are not easily available unless the law is followed.

[/b]

Exactly. The Dunblane killings were done with legally held pistols. The fact is it took two incidences (Dunblane and Hungerford) for the UK to pretty much wipe out gun ownership, sometimes we get it right.

Nah, gun ownership has risen, only hand guns were banned after Dunblane. Hand guns always were a minority sport, even so they should not have been banned in my opinion.

Angel1

---------- Post added 29-06-2017 at 18:30 ----------

We were at a car boot sale last year, on one of the stalls the bloke had what looked like one of those hunting knives about 12 inches long. A lad who looked about 14 picked it up, started waving it about and stabbing the air with it, he asked the bloke how much it was and just as he was telling him I said 'you're not thinking of selling him that are you' he asked me why? and I said it was probably illegal and anyhow the lad was clearly an idiot.

He then refused to sell it him, but probably did later after we'd moved off.

The point is knives are easily available to anyone who wants one even with the present laws, but personally I think the law's about right for guns in the U.K. So that they are not easily available unless the law is followed.

The voice of reason, I agree.

Angel1.

---------- Post added 29-06-2017 at 18:46 ----------

All handguns and automatic rifles should be banned for public use. They're for killing other people.......nothing else and not one person here has the right to do that.

Here you are, hand guns of the variety used at Dunblane are banned, likewise full bore rifles of the automatic kind have NEVER been available to the general public in our Country I believe.

The article below is cut and pasted, it's not my own words.

Members of the public may own sporting rifles and shotguns, subject to licensing, but handguns were effectively banned after the Dunblane school massacre in 1996.

Fully automatic (submachine-guns, etc.) are "prohibited weapons"[16] and require explicit permission from central government to permit ownership. Generally, such permits are not available to private citizens. Semi-automatic rifles over .22 in (5.6 mm) and pistols are similarly "prohibited", although there are exceptions for short barrelled breech-loading semi-automatic and revolver pistols for use for the humane dispatch of animals (classed under section 5). There are also very limited exceptions for pistols both to preserve firearms of historic or technical interest (classed as section 7 firearms) and to enable use by elite sports teams. Semi-automatic shotguns are restricted to a magazine capacity of no more than two shot and is held under section 2 of the Firearms Act, although a 'multi-shot' shotgun can be owned under section 1 (restricted firearms and ammunition) of the Firearms Act.

Angel1

I have just relinquished my firearms and shotgun certificates after 5 years.

I have not been using them this year following a knee injury ( not firearm related :)).

The reason being is the application form. The hoops you need to jump through in order to obtain and renew a firearms certificate are time consuming and frustrating. I used them for pest control on farms and hunting.

I believe we have it right with regards firearms applications.

Anything designed for killing another human should not be sold to any member of the public.

Hunting rifles and knifes should be given out with strict licencing laws, like they are in the UK, anything else should be kept to the military.

That goes for the US and anywhere else too.

Would you include common household chemicals, poisons, vehicles, hammers, knives, screwdrivers and baseball bats?

A gun is arguably more efficient and has a greater range, but you can kill a lot of people with a car or a van, or even a bat.

Devices don't kill people, people kill people.

Personally I think our licensing laws were fit for purpose before the most recent changes. Knee jerk political reaction killed off the sport of pistol shooting.

Well, don't know about a firearm

But..and don't laugh.. a slingshot and a bag of steel ball bearings wouldn't exactly tickle!

The majority of domestic rooms are less than 20ft, if you think you could hit a door from 20ft, then its highly likely you'd hit someone coming through it.

BTW most ball bearings from slingshots would pass straight said door, just a hint to reinforce the fact a toy they ain't!

Do I own one?, Nah, just an antique billhook in the rear of the bedroom wardrobe.

I believe the thread title should be changed as there is no automatic right to own a firearm.

This is not the USA.

I believe the thread title should be changed as there is no automatic right to own a firearm.

This is not the USA.

It's asking the question whether we should!

It's asking the question whether we should!

Some of our friends across the pond think we're bonkers for not arming ourselves. The higher crime rates in places like Chicago have quite tough gun and knife laws. Those with open carry laws, if you're to believe the hype, have far lower crime rates.