Puppy eats anything

my 4 month old springer eats anything and everything out on our daily walks is this natural being a first time dog owner also how much should i feed her she is 6.5kg i feed her 3oz 3 times a day on bakers dry puppy food on box it just gives for adult dog sizes

Springers do have a reputation for eating all sorts and she is quite young still so it is pretty normal . But I have to say Bakers is a really bad dog food maybe you should look for a different brand as she is probably not getting the nutrients she needs .

Can you 'recommend a good dry food

I agree with ruby above. Spaniels are gundogs who have strong carrying instincts and like to carry things I'm their mouths. A ball or gundog dummy may help to allow your pup to fulfill this need, or a soft toy bit nothing heavy for a pup.

Bakers is a very bad food, full of additives, starch, preservatives and chemicals and very little nutrition. It's likely to make your pup feel hungry and hyperactive, not good things for a growing gundog. My first choice would be to feed raw food with supplements, second choice would be packaged raw like nature's diet and if those aren't suitable for you a food like Skinner's, Arden Grange etc.

Don't punish your dog for eating things as this will encourage them to swallow the evidence. Teach them a strong leave command and reward them with a ball or irresistible treat. Don't let them eat food that you've previously asked them to leave as this allows them to think they can then have the item you've asked them to leave once you've said good dog.

I'm speaking from am owner of a cocker who's had three foreign objects surgically removed and will have to be put down if she eats another :'(

Is iams a good dry food

Edited by bush16
Spelling

No IAMS isn't a good product either. As others have said a raw duet is best or one of the other products mentioned. Lilys Kitchen may also have a good range to try. I used to feed my dachshunds raw breast of lamb. Also kept their teeth clean and no smelly breath either.

I puppysat a relative's springer/collie mix puppy for a day the other weekend... jesus christ that's hard work! He was definitely in to eating EVERYTHING!

Give me a sighthound any day :hihi:

Also, try feeding smaller meals more frequently as a puppy's metabolism is different to an adults.

I'm no really very knowledgeable on dry food but I'd look at Arden Grange, Burns, nature diet, laughing dog and lily's kitchen.

Raw is easier than you think. We give our dogs raw chicken wings or thighs from the supermarket frozen then thawed to kill bacteria then chucked outside straight out the packet. They have honey, kefir milk, melon and cooked green lentils for enzymes and leftover cooked vegetables when we have veg dinners, we cook carrot tops and peelings etc.

I've just changed from ardent grange due to my dogs being hyper . It's a great food but quite high protein. I've switched to skinners hypoallergenic and I've seen a great change . They are only half as crazy now. But coats and health wise they are great . But I also give them veg and fruit. I did try cooking for mine and raw but it didn't suit my choc lab.

Plus if you do change food, do it gradually by introducing a little of the new food into their normal diet at a time . Otherwise you can give them the runs with sudden food change .

Edited by rubydo1

Your dog is very young and it will pay dividends in terms of health and longevity to select a good product. As the previous poster has said, look at that website - it has loads of information. It's best to spend some time studying this yourself rather than ask other folk. They may know less about the matter than you.

Look for food that has a named meat source at the top of the list of ingredients. The more meat, the better the product. For a pup you need at least 30%. Avoid anything with the word 'derivative' in the ingredient list. Also avoid red ingredients such as maize, wheat, salt. You can filter red ingredients out using the aforementioned Dog Food Directory filters. Supermarkets generally sell poor dog food with the exception of a very few products so source your food from an independent pet supplies shop if possible.

we have a cocker, just over a year old now & she still eats everything - usually twigs & other lumps of wood when we're out walking her

but she has attempted other items when we're in the house but to be honest we've given up trying to stop her now, as she turns it into a game and hides behind furniture...

she's not daft & soon works out what's not good for her

I can't recall exactly, but I think at that age ours still had puppy teeth, so we thought she was chewing things in a similar way to when a toddler gnaws on teething rings etc

food-wise, we give her chicken, egg & rice, all supplemented with doggy biscuits

can't recall the exact brand, but we did try a lot before we found one that she was happy with & that gave a decent poo consistency!

it's no good feeding your dog the best quality, nutrient-rich food if they are going to produce liquid dirt...