Other peoples book shelves.

Whenever I visit a new acquaintance for the first or second time I always find my self taking furtive glances at their bookshelf .

If I see that they are stacked with classic Penguins for instance I immediately feel at home , to see D.H.Lawrence standing beside George Orwell or John Steinbeck in traditional orange cover leaf makes me relaxed and ready for great conversation .

Some times I notice that some folk display (usually in a Ikea self assembly mock pine cabinet with glass doors) books with titles such as Thirty Shades of Grey or Sex in the City , these are usually dog eared having been passed around the relatives or read in the toilet .

I know as soon as I spy these titillating fairy stories not to except a cup of Earl Grey or glass of Aldi plonk as you can bet Nuffields millions that the receptacle has not had a proper wash with Fairy liquid but will have just been left in a plastic sink bowl and rinsed under the cold tap .

When watching T.V. my eyes are always diverted to the book shelves behind who ever is being interviewed in their own home and I switch over straight away if I see big volumes and titles by Richard Attenborough or Shakespeare as I know instantly that they are there for show and have never even been opened.

Any one who has the Karma Sutra or Arthur Upfield on their book shelf always arises a special interest.

Edited by samssong

My bookshelf is a little thin now on account that most of mine is now in digital format and on my tablet.

Any one who has the Karma Sutra or Arthur Upfield on their book shelf always arises a special interest.

Crikey, I've got pretty much a full set of Arthur Upfield's Bony books - I thought everybody else had forgotten about him.

Nothing like tarring everyone with the same brush!

I have 100s of books on my kindle from Charles Dickens, Thackeray, Le Carre, Alan Bennett a lot of military history, Ken Follett lots of modern detective novels, lots of kindle reccomendations, even Dostoevsky, Tolstoy and Buchanan.

Grisham, Scarrow and Cornwell.

When my friends come round we talk about work, drink , cars, bikes and women. We drink out of spotless glasses that are washed in a dishwasher.

I read what I like, I dont expect my friends to have the same tastes and we definately dont talk about books but I enjoy our conversations all the same.

I must just not be a snob!

Never been a book reader I prefer Motor mechanical magazines or imformation books,never seem to have time for book reading stories, I've got some nice classic car books.

Pffft books!

Ooh! Are they any good?

If a person's shelf contains some Ishiguro or Delillo then I know we're going to get on

Mine got the finer points of art ( naked men and all that) and gun ownership on my bookshelf.

Mine got the finer points of art ( naked men and all that) and gun ownership on my bookshelf.

"Gays & Guns"? "The Bareback Redneck"? ;)

Whenever I visit a new acquaintance for the first or second time I always find my self taking furtive glances at their bookshelf .

If I see that they are stacked with classic Penguins for instance I immediately feel at home , to see D.H.Lawrence standing beside George Orwell or John Steinbeck in traditional orange cover leaf makes me relaxed and ready for great conversation .

Some times I notice that some folk display (usually in a Ikea self assembly mock pine cabinet with glass doors) books with titles such as Thirty Shades of Grey or Sex in the City , these are usually dog eared having been passed around the relatives or read in the toilet .

I know as soon as I spy these titillating fairy stories not to except a cup of Earl Grey or glass of Aldi plonk as you can bet Nuffields millions that the receptacle has not had a proper wash with Fairy liquid but will have just been left in a plastic sink bowl and rinsed under the cold tap .

When watching T.V. my eyes are always diverted to the book shelves behind who ever is being interviewed in their own home and I switch over straight away if I see big volumes and titles by Richard Attenborough or Shakespeare as I know instantly that they are there for show and have never even been opened.

I love reading, and I always think it's great that other people take time to read. One of my favourites is Macbeth, on the other hand I read Milly Johnson books, she is a local fictional writer. If you enjoy reading, you enjoy reading. :)

I love reading, and I always think it's great that other people take time to read. One of my favourites is Macbeth, on the other hand I read Milly Johnson books, she is a local fictional writer. If you enjoy reading, you enjoy reading. :)

:thumbsup: My two nippers, both under 10, absolutely love reading and it makes me very happy. Sometimes I feel like shouting ironically "Oi you two, put those books down! These video games won't play themselves you know!"