Chickens wanted!

Hi,

Does anyone know where you can get chickens from in Sheffield and the surrounding areas? We wanted to rescue them but local rescues only do pickups every so often. I didn't know whether graves park or Hesley city farm sold theirs.

Are there any farms or anything where they sell them?

I buy some of mine from Highgate Auctions at Goldthorpe,or if I want POL,s I buy them from Router farm, Castleton.

Someone posted a couple of threads below. Ex caged hens (battery is illegal) don't lay and I think having anything to do with them just encourages the keeping of caged hens. You will find private breeders on Preloved. Large pet stores sometimes have notice boards with hens for sale adverts on.

What breed are you after?

Hmm not really sure how rescuing ex-cage hens encourages them?

I'm not fussed on breed to be fair, I do like silkies though.

Hmm not really sure how rescuing ex-cage hens encourages them?

I'm not fussed on breed to be fair, I do like silkies though.

You don't see? They would get paid less and more negative press if they went for processing for animal food once their laying days are over. If people didn't buy processed foods from companies using eggs from caged hens then there wouldn't be any caged hens. Haven't you heard that Hellmans Mayo said their customers weren't bothered they were using eggs from battery hens (when battery cages were allowed in UK)? They had to change their stance when customers said they wouldn't buy their mayo.

I take it you don't want egg laying pets then from you comments above? Silkies don't lay many eggs and they shouldn't be mixed with none crested breeds due to their open skull under their crest. They should be kept under cover (from rain) due to lack of waterproofing of their modified feathers.

I had rescued hens from a farm in Derby that laid for 18 months after I got them. (barn/ field hens, not all rescue hens have been caged). I recently got some new hens from Storrs Poultry out Penistone way. £12 a bird for a hybrid