Tram crash again

It wasn't a fast collision, but it was still daunting and troubling to know the trams (which are regarded as ultra safe and in my opinion an incredible way of travelling) can be in accidents.

Worrying.

Hopefully the incident will fall within the remit of a rail accident investigation report. It that is the case they are placed with in the public domain

Guest busdriver1
Apparently it wasn't according to the bus driver. Apparently it was nothing. (PS I believe your account as someone one the tram, over someone who clearly dislikes trams!)

And the amount of injuries are? didnt say they would not be shaken up, but injuries seem to total 0.

---------- Post added 26-06-2017 at 20:30 ----------

Soon they'll match the appalling standard of driving that I see from bus drivers! If they keep working at it, they can make it!

Strange, most tram drivers these days are failed bus drivers.

Yes there were crashes, some of them spectacular : coal lorry and tram at bottom of meadow head, van carrying toffee "s ran away down Derbyshire lane hitting a tram heading to city on Chesterfield Road. Sweets all over road lots school kids arrived.

I wonder how many blokes went past saying they wished it was the ale wagon :hihi:

It wasn't a fast collision, but it was still daunting and troubling to know the trams (which are regarded as ultra safe and in my opinion an incredible way of travelling) can be in accidents.

Worrying.

Any form of travel has risks. Where is ultra-safe travel in this scale of things?

It can't have been more than a kiss, if both back in service today.

Both trams back in service today .

They are automatic points - the drivers have no control over them

The drivers have complete control over them - when they function as automatic points they operate based on the code that the driver has entered on the tram.

When they are in a failed state or in manual then the points indicator shows the driver the way they are set, if they are set to the wrong direction then they can change them manually. The driver should check that the points indicator is set to the correct detection before setting off.

It's entirely on the driver!

This is why trolleybuses would have been better: at least they can swerve out of the way.

If we had a thread for every incident involving cars the forum would be full of them.

This is why trolleybuses would have been better: at least they can swerve out of the way.

The problem with trolley buses is they couldn't swerve very far out of the way, and if they did their trolleys came off the wires, springing up, and got tangled up in the support wires causing absolute mayhem in traffic.

It was all the roundabouts introduced in the 1960s that were the death of trolley bus routes.

The herdings branch is to be run by buses from today details on super tram site

Strange, most tram drivers these days are failed bus drivers.

You bus folks really don't like tram drivers do you?!

If they are failed bus drivers, that's stunning, given the appalling driving from First and Stagecoach drivers I see on a daily basis. I can't see how they could get much worse!

You bus folks really don't like tram drivers do you?!

If they are failed bus drivers, that's stunning, given the appalling driving from First and Stagecoach drivers I see on a daily basis. I can't see how they could get much worse!

He's wrong - the vast majority of tram drivers new and old started as conductors. They often come from a variety of other jobs and then reply to internal adverts for driving. There are some external trainee drivers, but only around half work on the buses. The majority of these transfer in from Stagecoach Yorkshire. None of them are 'failed'.

But hey, why let facts get in the way of a decent whinge.

The drivers have complete control over them - when they function as automatic points they operate based on the code that the driver has entered on the tram.

When they are in a failed state or in manual then the points indicator shows the driver the way they are set, if they are set to the wrong direction then they can change them manually. The driver should check that the points indicator is set to the correct detection before setting off.

It's entirely on the driver!

I can second this, I was on a yellow tram supposedly heading towards Middlewood a few weeks ago which veered off towards Malin Bridge at Hillsborough Corner - the driver very quickly made a very apologetic announcement that it was his mistake - not sure if he didn't check or if he just forgot which tram he was on, but either way he made it clear it was his fault