Spital Hill CLOSED 21/06/2017 18:00

If it is such a no go area how come hundreds shop on there and use the restaurants every day

If it is such a no go area how come hundreds shop on there and use the restaurants every day

My comparison was to demonstrate how things have changed detrimentally over those years. There was, as always, a political fork in the road back then, and choosing the MASS immigration, muilti-culture one has proved to be the wrong path, with many settled immigrants themselves now having concerns about numbers and infrastructure. Can you not see the day when you yourselves will have to say "enough"; I doubt you can, until it affects you personally, as it will.

My point was that it used to be totally safe from concerns, a completely different world to now, as was most of the UK. You may well go a dozen times without incident, that doesn't change my point that today, the place is feared, and then it was just another part of town. My challenge still stands for the others, less confident, to go walkies there.

So someone took your challenge.

But you've declared that to be insufficient. I don't suppose it will matter how many people walk safely around the area, you're not interested in the reality of it.

When did you last walk around it to decide that it was so dangerous?

---------- Post added 27-06-2017 at 14:12 ----------

Still nothing about firearms ?

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/crime/sheffield-s-top-gun-crime-hotspots-exposed-1-7145816

The link to 1960 is also clear - for them that want to see it. Second paragraph.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/terrified-residents-warn-another-spital-hill-attack-is-imminent-as-gang-war-intensifies-1-8610152

You give your 'awkward' sympathies away.

Cyclone - "5 seconds on google shows me 3 murders that happened in Upperthorpe within the last decade. Is that a pattern, is it a problem area? I think the murderers might have all been white working class though, awkward, nobody can blame race or demand that they or their parents be deported."

Spital Hill is the boundary between area's in some figures, part of Burngreave in others and you have also mentioned postcodes? . . . and then there are those who use statistics.

Instead of picking up on perceived errors/faults try to suggest something. Its obvious that most people in the city think there is a problem including our elected and appointed leaders. Look at the line up of commenters in The Star article.

........and then there are those who will not see?

Yes, there are those who use statistics, those who actually care about the reality instead of just inventing it in their head and then shouting down anyone who disagrees. It's called evidence.

So someone took your challenge.

But you've declared that to be insufficient. I don't suppose it will matter how many people walk safely around the area, you're not interested in the reality of it.

When did you last walk around it to decide that it was so dangerous?

Of course it's insufficient that only one, so far, has taken up my challenge; would the outcome of any challenge to a group be decided upon just one taking it up ?

I don't need to walk around there to know what its like now, the fact of the news reports and that this thread has gone to multiple pages says it all. I could say 'you get on your bike and go there', but you have grown up knowing nothing of how it used to be, and accepting it as 'not too bad' it seems. If you do go, I'd suggest one of those head-gear cameras, just in case.

Edited by esme
quote tags

My comparison was to demonstrate how things have changed detrimentally over those years. There was, as always, a political fork in the road back then, and choosing the MASS immigration, muilti-culture one has proved to be the wrong path, with many settled immigrants themselves now having concerns about numbers and infrastructure. Can you not see the day when you yourselves will have to say "enough"; I doubt you can, until it affects you personally, as it will.

Only reason you dramatize this little incident is to uphold your class status.

I have spoken with an old lady today who lives on burngreave rd very close to spital hill, she was not even aware anything had happened last week. She is not worried the way you are and she does not share your feelings despite she is living there longer than your age (56 years).

I've walked to work down Spital Hill at 4.30 am every day.Must be very lucky.I've never had or seen any trouble

Only reason you dramatize this little incident is to uphold your class status.

I have spoken with an old lady today who lives on burngreave rd very close to spital hill, she was not even aware anything had happened last week. She is not worried the way you are and she does not share your feelings despite she is living there longer than your age (56 years).

Where to start ! So, you say you've spoken to 'one old lady'. I also know people from my old area of Burngreave who say the opposite and would like to move.

I am 'dramatising a little incident' ? You are minimising a worrying incident, thinking guns and people in hospital through them is ' a little incident '.

And where's this inside knowledge of my 'class status' coming from ? You presume too much. I'll beat you into insignificance with my working class credentials; deprived childhood in Burgreave, steelworker at ESC Bar Mills, later-35 years membership of the T&GWU from Frank Cousins' time, still living in social housing. Who the hell do you think you are deciding my 'social status' ?

---------- Post added 27-06-2017 at 15:23 ----------

and as for my age, I lived through Cyprus, Suez and Sputnik, thank you, work that out.

Of course it's insufficient that only one, so far, has taken up my challenge; would the outcome of any challenge to a group be decided upon just one taking it up ?

You didn't set some sort of number, you just challenged someone to do it. They did. Now it's not enough.

I don't need to walk around there to know what its like now

And now you admit that you don't walk around there yourself.

Your entire opinion is based on reading the news, which you'll realise only reports the bad things.

the fact of the news reports and that this thread has gone to multiple pages says it all. I could say 'you get on your bike and go there', but you have grown up knowing nothing of how it used to be, and accepting it as 'not too bad' it seems. If you do go, I'd suggest one of those head-gear cameras, just in case.

I've been there more recently than you by the sounds of it.

yorkie53

Burngreave is not yours. You don't own the area you live or lived in.

Why are you getting so upset and worked up over a stabbing and subsequent shooting with only injuries. Could have happened anywhere, again the location is not the issue here.

This old lady I have spoken with lives 56 years in same house burngreave rd. It isn't what it used to be but she does not share your extreme opinions.

Edited by dutch

I didn't set 'some sort of number' you say ? I said ' Maybe those who think things aren't too bad should take a walk around'. You're good at being pedantic, isn't the word "those" plural ?

---------- Post added 27-06-2017 at 15:43 ----------

This old lady I have spoken with lives 56 years in same house burngreave rd. It isn't what it used to be but she does not share your extreme opinions.

You are side-tracking, the lady is perfectly entitled to her opinion of the area. How about an apology for your wild assumptions on my 'class status' ?

---------- Post added 27-06-2017 at 16:01 ----------

Going out now, I need some fresh air. We're all spending too much time on here.

Edited by esme
Quote tags

You are side-tracking, the lady is perfectly entitled to her opinion of the area. How about an apology for your wild assumptions on my 'class status' ?

My comment on class was based on my observation you appeared to speak of multi cultural immigrants in a certain way. Correct me if I'm wrong, everyone can make mistakes.

You appeared to be very concerned with infrastructure numbers and statistics, comparisons. People are human beings not to be degraded to a number or statistical structure, no matter where they live. The class system has a strong need to have lower deprived people around for them to feel higher.

If your intentions are authentically different I do apologise.

Feeling angry and upset about how spital hill has become a lesser nice place over the years is understandable. It is nobody fault this anger is there, it wont help to be angry back. Like you said earlier you feel like as if you owned the place and this can create a lot of emotions. Nobody will be helped and pain will only grow if this anger is allowed to be acknowledged as something valuable or good.

You are not wrong, spital hill has degraded. But the emotions this has created in someone here who has gotten very upset about it have reached extreme proportions.

Arguing with others and others arguing back wont help now, it may be hard and difficult but accepting things the way they are will be more helpful for everyone than getting upset over it.

Another serious stabbing there on Sunday night