Spital Hill CLOSED 21/06/2017 18:00

I regularly use the Tesco on Spital Hill, and frequently see groups of young men near there. One day I needed a helping hand and asked help of these young men. One of them came immediately and gave me his arm while I got my balance.

Beware making assumptions.

We are talking about gun crime so don't dissemble with the 'deprivation' red herring.

Look at this 1,2,3, of gun crime in Sheffield, as per a sensationalist article from 'The Star' :-

Burngreave = 103

City Centre = 72

Southey = 63

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/crime/sheffield-s-top-gun-crime-hotspots-exposed-1-7145816

Yes, now how about you find the crime statistics and stop with the anecdotes...

http://dclgapps.communities.gov.uk/imd/idmap.html

In fact, there you go, knock yourself out, Spital hill suffers a high crime rate, but not the highest in the city.

And a more specific one by month

https://www.police.uk/south-yorkshire/KD1/crime/+ThrkOx/

Edited by Cyclone

Yes, now how about you find the crime statistics and stop with the anecdotes...

http://dclgapps.communities.gov.uk/imd/idmap.html

In fact, there you go, knock yourself out, Spital hill suffers a high crime rate, but not the highest in the city.

And a more specific one by month

https://www.police.uk/south-yorkshire/KD1/crime/+ThrkOx/

Over 40 sub-searches to choose from! About 'happiness', 'anxiousness' 'wellbeing'(x6), 'life satisfaction'(x4), 'deprivation'(x 20+), many across datasets . Why don't you do the grind and support your assertion.

Mind you, your assertion ignored the point of the thread which is firearms. Try to stick to the point - there are 'lies, damn lies and then there are people who use statistics'. Stats, which I love, are only relevant if they are - well relevant!

AND . . . there's nothing wrong with anecdotes. They are real, undisputed and provide details that mean something to people.

The 1960 East House murders are an example of religious belief's influencing criminal action with fatal consequences:-

Mohamed Ishmail, a Somalian, stated that he wanted to kill himself but his religious beliefs forbade him from doing so.

http://chrishobbs.com/sheffield/easthousemurders1960.htm

I haven't made an assertion though, you have.

All I did was ask about the relevance of a 50 year old anecdote.

Anecdotes may be real, they may be accurate, but they tell you nothing basically. They are single data points when hundreds of data points are needed to even think about drawing conclusions. They are also self selected and biased in nature.

---------- Post added 26-06-2017 at 14:47 ----------

Are you saying that crime does not markedly differ in different post codes.

Despite the attempt to put words in my mouth.

No, I wasn't saying that, I was asking what the anecdote about a murder 50 years ago on Spittal Hill was supposed to prove.

Still just asking what the point of the ancient anecdote was.

---------- Post added 26-06-2017 at 14:48 ----------

Spital Hill has been a problem area for 50 years..

A young man was shot dead by an immigrant in the East House pub on new years day 1960.

And using an anecdote to attempt to make a generalisation is exactly what this post did.

Which is why I questioned it.

It's nonsense. If you want to prove it's a problem area, look up the crime statistics and prove it, don't expect a story from a different century to be taken seriously as evidence.

Still nothing about firearms ?

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/crime/sheffield-s-top-gun-crime-hotspots-exposed-1-7145816

The link to 1960 is also clear - for them that want to see it. Second paragraph.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/terrified-residents-warn-another-spital-hill-attack-is-imminent-as-gang-war-intensifies-1-8610152

You give your 'awkward' sympathies away.

Cyclone - "5 seconds on google shows me 3 murders that happened in Upperthorpe within the last decade. Is that a pattern, is it a problem area? I think the murderers might have all been white working class though, awkward, nobody can blame race or demand that they or their parents be deported."

Spital Hill is the boundary between area's in some figures, part of Burngreave in others and you have also mentioned postcodes? . . . and then there are those who use statistics.

Instead of picking up on perceived errors/faults try to suggest something. Its obvious that most people in the city think there is a problem including our elected and appointed leaders. Look at the line up of commenters in The Star article.

........and then there are those who will not see?

This is how things have changed in the Spital Hill area.

1950's: Crowds queuing outside the 'Colly', loads of people walking about at any time, old ladies going to buy their pink Directoires and corsets at Bevans, shopkeepers buying their stocks from Dewyer's wholesalers, all in the full knowledge that such things were virtually unheard of nationwide, never mind in their own city. ( I'm well aware of the Mooney Gang before you start, but the fact that that was so rare is why it's still remembered. )

Who on here would walk through the area without worry today, night or day ?

Maybe those who think things 'aren't too bad' should get together and have a walk through, preferably at night. Actually,no, not together, do it alone and report back here. How about it ?

This is how things have changed in the Spital Hill area.

1950's: Crowds queuing outside the 'Colly', loads of people walking about at any time, old ladies going to buy their pink Directoires and corsets at Bevans, shopkeepers buying their stocks from Dewyer's wholesalers, all in the full knowledge that such things were virtually unheard of nationwide, never mind in their own city. ( I'm well aware of the Mooney Gang before you start, but the fact that that was so rare is why it's still remembered. )

Who on here would walk through the area without worry today, night or day ?

Maybe those who think things 'aren't too bad' should get together and have a walk through, preferably at night. Actually,no, not together, do it alone and report back here. How about it ?

My bold=

I walked through at 2am this morning and I gave just drove down 30 minutes ago to go to tesco.

I saw plenty of Somalians and Kurdish about and none of them decide to go into violent mode either...

My point was that it used to be totally safe from concerns, a completely different world to now, as was most of the UK. You may well go a dozen times without incident, that doesn't change my point that today, the place is feared, and then it was just another part of town. My challenge still stands for the others, less confident, to go walkies there.

[/b]

My bold=

I walked through at 2am this morning and I gave just drove down 30 minutes ago to go to tesco.

I saw plenty of Somalians and Kurdish about and none of them decide to go into violent mode either...

So that means it was safe for 30 mins at 2am when you were there!

That's okay then, move on, no trouble there, . . .ever.

Good grief! Get real, and read Yorkshire 53's comment again.

I feel sorry for the workers and people that have to live in such a horrible area

So that means it was safe for 30 mins at 2am when you were there!

That's okay then, move on, no trouble there, . . .ever.

Good grief! Get real, and read Yorkshire 53's comment again.

I am real and I walk down there regularly, yorkshire 53 said walk through there alone at night and report back which I have.

Nobody is saying its a very good area but it's not a no go area like some are making out either.

The personal attacks can cease now.