Golden perch pub

does anyone remember the Golden Perch pub ,top of Spital Hill? Suberb ale and somewhat eccentric landlord. It was formerly the Albion, latterly the Old Mill and now Asian retail units . It was right next door to John Heaths so at least the neighbours were quiet. Some great stories to come out of there.

My wife and I used to go down there on Saturday nights and have a good pub crawl. Perch, Robin Hood, Gower, Staff, Royal Oak, Irish Club, East House, Signpost and one or two others I can't remember the names of. Don't know which ones are still open. Happy days!!

does anyone remember the Golden Perch pub ,top of Spital Hill? Suberb ale and somewhat eccentric landlord. It was formerly the Albion, latterly the Old Mill and now Asian retail units . It was right next door to John Heaths so at least the neighbours were quiet. Some great stories to come out of there.

Hello caleb wells,

Your question mark after Spital Hill leads me to wonder if the first three pics on the link below are of the pub you refer to??

Thought you may be interested......

http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?&searchterms=Verdon+Street&action=search&keywords=all%3BCONTAINS%3B%25Verdon%25%3BAND%3Ball%3BCONTAINS%3B%25Street%25%3B&page=2

Peter.

---------- Post added 22-06-2017 at 16:14 ----------

My wife and I used to go down there on Saturday nights and have a good pub crawl. Perch, Robin Hood, Gower, Staff, Royal Oak, Irish Club, East House, Signpost and one or two others I can't remember the names of. Don't know which ones are still open. Happy days!!

Hello gluedtopc,

Just in case you haven't seen this, here's The East House......

http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s22078&pos=200&action=zoom&id=24558

Peter.

Edited by PeterR

In the 1970s I used to go down Pitsmoor for a drink at weekends and I called in the Albion. The landlord was Dennis Altrop I believe and his wife was called Molly and she was Irish. I visited the place several times and I never saw any trouble in the community those days. A lot of Jamaicans were working in the steelworks or on the buses I believe. I was amazed how they played dominoes in the tap room and they used to pull them up and bang them down on the table. It used to amuse me to watch them. The Jamaicans always used to welcome me when I walked in that pub.

There was a restaurant on Spital Hill and the chef was half Chinese and half Jamaican I believe. The food he cooked was fantastic especially the snapper fish when he used different spices in the cooking. He was a really nice man. That is how I remember it.

Edited by asterix
added something else

In the 1970s I used to go down Pitsmoor for a drink at weekends and I called in the Albion. The landlord was Dennis Altrop I believe and his wife was called Molly and she was Irish. I visited the place several times and I never saw any trouble in the community those days. A lot of Jamaicans were working in the steelworks or on the buses I believe. I was amazed how they played dominoes in the tap room and they used to pull them up and bang them down on the table. It used to amuse me to watch them. The Jamaicans always used to welcome me when I walked in that pub.

There was a restaurant on Spital Hill and the chef was half Chinese and half Jamaican I believe. The food he cooked was fantastic especially the snapper fish when he used different spices in the cooking. He was a really nice man. That is how I remember it.

The Catherine Arms (Catherine Street off Burngreave Road) was once owned by a nice Jamaican bloke. There were two Albion pubs in Pitsmoor, the Earsham Street one (Whitbread's) and the Verdon Street one (Ward's).

The Golden Perch (ex Albion) that I refer to was at the end of Earsham St., Next door to undertakers. It had been empty for some time until Ian Johnson took it over and opened it as a real ale pub (there was only the Fat Cat doing that in the old days. Incidentally, he named the pub after the one in the 'Lord of the Rings' that had the finest ale in the Shire. The hobbits tried to get there but got waylayed by Ringwraithes ( but that's another story).

The Catherine Arms (Catherine Street off Burngreave Road) was once owned by a nice Jamaican bloke. There were two Albion pubs in Pitsmoor, the Earsham Street one (Whitbread's) and the Verdon Street one (Ward's).

Called him Ernest that ran the Catherine Arms.

I use to drink in the little room on the right when i lived in Pitsmoor 60s,

pity police was called there lots of time over drug just befor it was knocked down.

Got new house on that site now.

I use to drink in the little room on the right when i lived in Pitsmoor 60s,

pity police was called there lots of time over drug just befor it was knocked down.

Got new house on that site now.

What pub Brian ?

What pub Brian ?

---------------

Sorry i missed out the pub, it was the Catherine Arms Catherine st.

mine playing up.

PS Shotting on spital hill again.

---------------

Sorry i missed out the pub, it was the Catherine Arms Catherine st.

mine playing up.

PS Shotting on spital hill again.

Do you mean the shooting on Spital Hill Brian ? The East House, Jan. 1st. 1960.

Do you mean the shooting on Spital Hill Brian ? The East House, Jan. 1st. 1960.

Think he's referring to the shooting on Spital Hill that occurred on Wednesday.Two gangs fighting over drugs,started Tuesday with a stabbing and retaliated with a shooting.No pub involved David.