The Consequences of Brexit [part 4]

No as I have already checked on the cost and as far as I can tell I have not paid more for the normal produce I buy, in fact the bacon I normally buy has actually gone down in price. The vegetables I buy are mainly from the UK, I rarely eat fruit so that takes out EU priced sources and I buy the cheapest milk. BTW I also plan meals, cook my own food and I brew my own beer and wine. I don't throw away or waste food and I buy cut priced items with a short expiry date. My actual budget for food for the week is less than £20.

So out of that whopping 3.5% increase exactly what have I paid more for? and again how have I been financially hit? You could argue that if I shopped at Tesco then I would have paid 0.70p more but as I dont then you would be wrong.

Bring back rationing. Dig for victory!!!

You haven’t got much of a clue have you? Your frugality is admirable and to be honest it’s s great choice, but the problem you face is that many of the people who want Brexit are avid consumers. They want to spend and eventually they’re really going to notice that is getting tougher.

Consumerism is a stronger religion than Brexit, as you are going to find out.

No as I have already checked on the cost and as far as I can tell I have not paid more for the normal produce I buy, in fact the bacon I normally buy has actually gone down in price. The vegetables I buy are mainly from the UK, I rarely eat fruit so that takes out EU priced sources and I buy the cheapest milk. BTW I also plan meals, cook my own food and I brew my own beer and wine. I don't throw away or waste food and I buy cut priced items with a short expiry date. My actual budget for food for the week is less than £20.

So out of that whopping 3.5% increase exactly what have I paid more for? and again how have I been financially hit? You could argue that if I shopped at Tesco then I would have paid 0.70p more but as I dont then you would be wrong.

Would that be Danish bacon? So you are benefiting from the fall in the value of Sterling, the same fall that is putting people out of work...

Seems fair - a brexit mantra... "I'm all right Jacques"

It's already 'hit the fan' for the poor, the weak, the disadvantaged. It happened decades ago - and is still happening. The EU has only made matters worse, driving down wages and increasing the cost of living.

The EU is dominated by a group of extremely powerful international civil servants, lobbyists and business people. This unelected elite is getting richer and richer. The Remoaners would do well to remember that sticking up for the EU means they are defending a neo-liberal capitalist club that is run for the benefit of the very wealthy, at the expense of the poor.

Love Europe. Hate the EU.

Are you so blind that you cannot see that Brexit, if implement by the wrong people, is an acceleration of all the things you describe.

People like Fox despise the EU because it isn’t neoliberal enough.

You haven’t got much of a clue have you?

No.. you haven't as if you did then you would understand that those who voted leave are by and large happy to accept the outcome and are not the ones complaining. Just look at the larger makeup of the leave voters, older, poorer and disadvantaged who have already suffered from the banking crisis and the austerity it has caused.

Again, see above as its those very same people who are not the big consumers as they already have what they need or cant afford it.

---------- Post added 26-10-2017 at 23:53 ----------

Would that be Danish bacon? So you are benefiting from the fall in the value of Sterling, the same fall that is putting people out of work...

I just had a look and the wrapper stated packaged in Ireland from EU pork so no country of origin. Just to remind you that the value of sterling is not fixed and actually changes, is still quite strong and gaining ground. But.. just who are these people that have been put out of work? as unemployment has been going down not up.

Seems fair - a brexit mantra... "I'm all right Jacques"

I agree it is fair, and its those remainers that have done well from being in the EU that are the ones who had the all right jack attitude when it suited them. The very same people are now crying because their profits are down.

Are we related apelike ?

Bring back rationing. Dig for victory!!!

You haven’t got much of a clue have you? Your frugality is admirable and to be honest it’s s great choice, but the problem you face is that many of the people who want Brexit are avid consumers. They want to spend and eventually they’re really going to notice that is getting tougher.

so how much of a charge do we pay for say importing sugar from non-eu countries would you say?

No.. you haven't as if you did then you would understand that those who voted leave are by and large happy to accept the outcome and are not the ones complaining. Just look at the larger makeup of the leave voters, older, poorer and disadvantaged who have already suffered from the banking crisis and the austerity it has caused.

Again, see above as its those very same people who are not the big consumers as they already have what they need or cant afford it.

I just had a look and the wrapper stated packaged in Ireland from EU pork so no country of origin. Just to remind you that the value of sterling is not fixed and actually changes, is still quite strong and gaining ground. But.. just who are these people that have been put out of work? as unemployment has been going down not up.

I agree it is fair, and its those remainers that have done well from being in the EU that are the ones who had the all right jack attitude when it suited them. The very same people are now crying because their profits are down.

I don’t think people really want to be dragged down to enforced frugal living. They won’t accept it. What makes you think they will?

Again we seem to be returning to this theme of punishing middle class people for doing well. You’ve got to be very careful with that. Extremely careful and should be mindful that hollowing out of the middle class is a key neoliberal goal.

---------- Post added 27-10-2017 at 07:11 ----------

so how much of a charge do we pay for say importing sugar from non-eu countries would you say?

What do you mean by ‘charge’?

I thought Brexit was supposed to change all that?

Those who voted out because they had been left out and left behind are waiting for change in their lives due to Brexit,not to keep on living the same lives and revel in the fact that business is making less profit because people are spending less.

Who do you think are being affected most from rising inflation,rising prices and no real terms increase in wages,the disadvantaged who voted Brexit to change that,and are seeing it get worse,or the banks and businessmen?

I thought Brexit was supposed to change all that?

Those who voted out because they had been left out and left behind are waiting for change in their lives due to Brexit,not to keep on living the same lives and revel in the fact that business is making less profit because people are spending less.

Who do you think are being affected most from rising inflation,rising prices and no real terms increase in wages,the disadvantaged who voted Brexit to change that,and are seeing it get worse,or the banks and businessmen?

This is a good point chalga. People were voting for positive change, not a return to rationing and/or dependence on imported cheap poor quality food.

You lost, get over it, now support the implementation of an insane plan that will damage the country for generations.

Er.......no.

There is no way we will have national unity on this. Not a hope in hell.

See..............

This is a good point chalga. People were voting for positive change, not a return to rationing and/or dependence on imported cheap poor quality food.

This is it,but it seems like Brexit for some means driving away banks,financial institutions and foreign direct investment,have business make less profit which will result in them cutting back or raising prices to compensate and all while giving the impression that it's all worth it,even if it means them doing the modern equivalent of sitting around the flickering flame of a fire and making rabbits ears silhouettes on the wall with their hands and fingers for entertainment.

This is it,but it seems like Brexit for some means driving away banks,financial institutions and foreign direct investment,have business make less profit which will result in them cutting back or raising prices to compensate and all while giving the impression that it's all worth it,even if it means them doing the modern equivalent of sitting around the flickering flame of a fire and making rabbits ears silhouettes on the wall with their hands and fingers for entertainment.

For me one of the silver linings nags of Brexit is the opportunity to reduce reliance on the financial sector. Problem is that May’s government has already kind of threatened to turn us into a massive tax haven if negotiations fail.