The Consequences of Brexit [part 4]

Have we LEFT the EU yet?

We were warned in the most serious terms that voting to Leave the EU would cause an economic shock in which 500,000 - 820,000 jobs would be lost. Purely on a vote to Leave. Since June 2016 over 500,000 jobs have actually been created.

There has not been a recession as we were informed a vote to Leave would cause. Government finances are at their healthiest since the financial crisis.

It sounds as though you have totally swallowed the Tory line.

Apart from that of Sir Philip Lee who has resigned as a junior minister in protest against the envisaged outcome of Brexit.The cracks continue to propagate as May seeks to be all things to all people.

Have we LEFT the EU yet?

Bad news to a Remainer: Brexit is responsible.

Good news to a Remainer: We haven't left yet.

Those terrible things predicted would happen by HM Treasury (up to 820,000 job losses for example) were for purely voting to Leave, not actually leaving.

---------- Post added 12-06-2018 at 14:39 ----------

we havent left yet, nor has anything been ratified

Actually, the Treasury report concerning the immediate impact of a Brexit vote, released in May 2016, stated:

“The analysis in this document comes to a clear central conclusion: a vote to leave would represent an immediate and profound shock to our economy. That shock would push our economy into a recession and lead to an increase in unemployment of around 500,000"

This May 2016 report also warned that there was a 'severe' scenario and the number of people made unemployed could rise by around 800,000 compared with a vote to remain. Purely for voting to Leave. Not actually Leaving.

Have we LEFT the EU yet?

I know getting answers out of a Brexiter is difficult but come on it's not a tricky question....

Have we LEFT the EU yet?

I know getting answers out of a Brexiter is difficult but come on it's not a tricky question....

You really don't know?

We were warned in the most serious terms that voting to Leave the EU would cause an economic shock in which 500,000 - 820,000 jobs would be lost. Purely on a vote to Leave. Since June 2016 over 500,000 jobs have actually been created.

There has not been a recession as we were informed a vote to Leave would cause. Government finances are at their healthiest since the financial crisis.

Want to address my previous points on the destruction of the car industry if we are not in a customs union? There is 750,000 people right there with jobs at risk.

You really don't know?

Have we LEFT the EU yet? Or are you going to just ignore the question because you dont like where this argument goes?

Mmm, worth thinking about then. Italy looks nice... but Germany will probably win because I can just about speak bad German and no Italian at all... Not really considered Lbourg to be fair it's always been a thing that happens on the route from Basel to Calais for me I'm afraid to say....
Your basic Luxembourger is fluent in Luxembourger (infant school curriculum integrally in-), German (primary school curriculum integrally in-), French (secondary school curriculum integrally in-), plus 2 modern languages in secondary school (English a staple, 2nd mostly influenced by family extraction, typically Italian or Portuguese, but younger generations with those already spoken fluently at home tend to go for Japanese & Chinese). The 48% of expats all do English generally, and it is the office language in most businesses and events (-because of the multinational context).

Language/communication isn’t a problem here. And there’s free Luxembourgish lessons, however much of them you need or want, by every townhall in the land for all newcomers (plus government grants to businesses for Luxembourgish teaching sessions).

It’s more their pseudo-Germanic, pragmatic way of understanding and doing things, which isn’t to every(newcoming)one’s taste ;)

Edited by L00b

It sounds as though you have totally swallowed the Tory line.

Apart from that of Sir Philip Lee who has resigned as a junior minister in protest against the envisaged outcome of Brexit.The cracks continue to propagate as May seeks to be all things to all people.

Dr Philip Lee represents a constituency that voted Leave.

He was elected on a manifesto at the 2017 general election that made clear the UK will be leaving the EU.

He accepted a ministerial post in a government that was committed to Leave - yet it has taken him until today to decide to resign.

I wonder why that is?

---------- Post added 12-06-2018 at 15:07 ----------

Have we LEFT the EU yet? Or are you going to just ignore the question because you dont like where this argument goes?

Ask me again this time next year and I'll be able to give you a definitive answer.

Hey Car Boot,

Still no answer about the car industry getting effectively destroyed by your version of Brexit?

Don't care about any of those 750,000 jobs then?

Hey Car Boot,

Still no answer about the car industry getting effectively destroyed by your version of Brexit?

Oh come on he can't even figure out if we have left the EU yet he can't be expected to answer something that far above his thinking grade....

Hey Car Boot,

Please post the information regarding the 'destroyed' 750,000 jobs or are you just scaremongering?