The Consequences of Brexit [part 4]

That wasn't a promise just an example of how the EU contributions could be spent differently. That issue was debated and discussed at the time weeks before the vote. Time will tell if more money going to the NHS as a consequence of the UK leaving the EU was a vision that becomes a reality.

It was a promise, they said let's spend that on the NHS instead....

Come on Farage wheres this 350m then? You didnt lie did you?

Only thing is, since the U.K. doesn’t want anything to do with the EU, the ECJ, the CU and the SM, then the U.K. must (re)create an armload of national agencies to maintain an armload of regulatory compliance/equivalence with the rest of the world. Non-exhaustive list:

European Medicines Agency (No real equivalent)

European Aviation Safety Agency

European Chemicals Agency

European GNSS (Global Navigation and Satellite Systems) Agency

Euratom Supply Agency

European Joint Undertaking for ITER and the development of Fusion Energy

EASME Executive Agency for Small and medium-sized Enterprises.

Research Executive Agency (REA)

European Union Institute for Security Studies (EUISS)

European Defence Agency (EDA)

European Union Agency for Railways (ERA)

European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC)

European Food Safety Authority (EFSA)

(There’s boatload more of these)

Now, how much of the £350m per week (gross, at that) will be left, after funding the above (and the balance of others not mentioned), plus the stipend for continuing access (even partial) to the SM, assuming that the U.K. also match-funds historical EU infrastructural & development spend in the U.K. regions?

My £0.02 says the U.K. will be in the red on the exercise, for many years to come.

Thank you for emphasising my point, which is the £350m figure was well debated and analysed at the time. The truth is the Remain campaign successfully managed to spin the bus slogan to their own advantage and the slogan turned out to be an own goal for the Leave campaign.

---------- Post added 03-05-2018 at 11:04 ----------

It was a promise, they said let's spend that on the NHS instead....

Come on Farage wheres this 350m then? You didnt lie did you?

For arguments sake were you fooled by what you claim was a promise? I knew £350m wouldn't be going to the NHS each week otherwise I would have voted to Leave the EU.

For arguments sake were you fooled by what you claim was a promise?

No but then again I'm not a dribbling slack jawed Brexiter either... :hihi:

For arguments sake were you fooled by what you claim was a promise? I knew £350m wouldn't be going to the NHS each week otherwise I would have voted to Leave the EU.

No but then again I'm not a dribbling slack jawed Brexiter either... :hihi:

People need to stop pretending that no one believed the '£350 Million for the NHS' thing. People did believe it...

A Brexiter friend of mine (who is not 'dribbling slack jawed', but a throughly decent person) shared the 'Keep The Promise of £350 Million For Our NHS' Petition on Facebook, just after the referendum, saying "a promise is a promise... and a lie is a lie..."

Edited by nickycheese

People need to stop pretending that no one believed the '£350 Million for the NHS' thing. People did believe it...

A Brexiter friend of mine (who is not 'dribbling slack jawed', but a throughly decent person) shared the 'Keep The Promise of £350 Million For Our NHS' Petition on Facebook, just after the referendum, saying "a promise is a promise... and a lie is a lie..."

If your friend really believed £350 million was going to the NHS, then why would they feel the need to write such a comment on Facebook, just after the referendum?

If your friend really believed £350 million was going to the NHS, then why would they feel the need to write such a comment on Facebook, just after the referendum?

Because of this - Nigel Farage backtracks on Leave campaign's '£350m for the NHS' pledge hours after result:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/eu-referendum-result-nigel-farage-nhs-pledge-disowns-350-million-pounds-a7099906.html

They did, even when it was shot to bits after the referendum many continue to do so. There was no shortage of people on the various news channels saying they voted for leave because of that promise and they expected it to be honored.

That specific promise was the main driver of leave votes, without it the leave campaign would not have prevailed.

Because of this - Nigel Farage backtracks on Leave campaign's '£350m for the NHS' pledge hours after result:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/eu-referendum-result-nigel-farage-nhs-pledge-disowns-350-million-pounds-a7099906.html

To be fair to Nigel, it was the official leave campaign who made the £350m for the NHS claim not him. He was too busy stoking fears about immigration.

Given that Boris Johnson repeated the claim in January this year it's clear that not only did they think people would believe the claim, they think people will still believe it.

That a is fair good answer to my question. My point is that the £350m for the NHS was such a massive issue for discussion and analysis many weeks before the referendum vote and I find it hard to believe any voter would have voted leave because they thought £350m would be going to the NHS each week after the UK leave the EU.

That a is fair good answer to my question. My point is that the £350m for the NHS was such a massive issue for discussion and analysis many weeks before the referendum vote and I find it hard to believe any voter would have voted leave because they thought £350m would be going to the NHS each week after the UK leave the EU.

Why do you think Boris is still repeating the claim if you're so sure nobody is going to believe it?

I can never follow your agenda that to remain plays into the hands of the bosses,the wealthy,the elite etc whilst the common man will be favoured by Brexit.

The wealthy elite will remain so because no government has been able to narrow the gap between the haves and have nots,

The common man needs job security and fair wages,which is largely dependent upon successful businesses in a growing economy.

I fail to see that Brexit will deliver this,and leaving the CU will add costs to the goods that we wish to buy.

Yep,you can see that Rees-Mogg,Johnson,Farage et al are all for "the common man" they've proved it so often in the past..

Why do you think Boris is still repeating the claim if you're so sure nobody is going to believe it?

Boris stated in January the £350m claim which goes to the EU each week figure was too low. I interpret it as he his defending the actual figure rather than the slogan

£350m Brexit claim was 'too low', says Boris Johnson

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42698981