The Consequences of Brexit [part 4]

Why would I, I'm not a quitter or a traitor, those who want a union with our so called friends are free to leave, why are you still here?

Are you calling all those who wanted to remain traitors? Good luck with having no dealings with the EU...I think you'll be sorely disappointed..

So, according to new deals, the current registration requirements for Croatian workers will expire on 30 June bringing their rights to work in Britain in line with other EU citizens.

Not that will make any significant difference, because majority of Croats already went for Ireland and there are around 5000 of us in UK, I am just putting that here for info because, there is no a single word about that in UK media.

Not, even, which is a really strange, usual The Sun, express articles "they are coming over here taking xxxxx..."

But that was not promised to the individual though as post 7698 made out.

I think you will find it was we were all promised that it was written on the side of a bus so it must be true. Your Farage guy said so.

When I mentioned "more than half the country" in my previous post I was referring to those people who were eligible to vote and did indeed vote to Leave in the June 2016 referendum. I didn't believe that it would require any further explanation that I meant more than half of the electorate who voted as I foolishly presumed that I was communicating with politically aware adults. My mistake.

Foolish presumption, its a common trait amongst brexit voters......

The majority of the population voted to Leave. I do not include those who didn't, or couldn't vote, in that statement. Why would I?

The majority of the population didn't vote to leave, the majority of those that actually voted chose to vote to leave. There is a very big difference. Perhaps this kind of throwaway hyperbole is why leave voters have such a poor understanding of the EU, - they are literally not dealing with the statement of fact, just a sort of generic misleading incorrectness that reinforces their misunderstandings.

A majority of the voting population did indeed vote to Leave.

I think what you mean is that of those that voted, the majority voted to leave. It is an important difference.

When it comes to elections or referenda, this is the only population that counts. Why you are so concerned about those who decided not to exercise their right to vote, or were ineligible, is unclear. 52 per cent of voters backed Leave, a majority of the voting population.

I am concerned that you are misrepresenting the wishes or view of those that did not or could not vote, - in a vote, the winning side does not automatically get allocated the votes of those that did not vote for whatever reason.

For all you know every single person who did not/could not vote would rather stay in the EU. In that case the leave vote, although a majority of those who voted, would be a minority of the population and leave would be against the wishes of the people according to the language you are choosing to employ.

Edited by nikki-red

I think you will find it was we were all promised that it was written on the side of a bus so it must be true. Your Farage guy said so.

No he didn't.

When any newsreader announces that "the country has gone to the polls"' at the end of a general election or referendum campaign he or she doesn't actually mean that every living soul in the population has gone out and voted, including children and babies!

In the early hours of June 24, 2016 the BBC broadcaster David Dimbleby watching the results coming in from the EU referendum, stated:

“The people of Britain have spoken. We are out of the EU.”

Did he mean just the electorate who had voted in the referendum had spoken? Or was he referring to the entire people of Britain - including those not yet old enough to vote?

Remainers seem almost entirely devoid of common sense on this issue.

But since you're not challenging the figures, you accept that 74% of 'the people' of the UK did not vote to leave the EU.

---------- Post added 22-03-2018 at 17:41 ----------

When you hear or read that the 'country has gone to the polls', or 'the country has spoken', in reference to elections or referenda, do you literally believe that every single individual (including babies) has gone out to vote?

Or could it be that what is actually meant is that those who are eligible to vote (and could be bothered to do so) have voted? And not the literal country or even half the literal country?

Think about it.

When you hear leave voters claim that we have no say over the forming of laws and rules in the EU and that it is undemocratic do you literally believe it or do you think they mean they resent they are not personally dictating the rules to suit themselves? Do you think that's why they democratically elected Nigel Farrage?

---------- Post added 22-03-2018 at 17:47 ----------

No he didn't.

You're correct, it was the official leave campaign that made that claim, so it was literally an official leave lie.

Thanks for the opportunity to just clear up that point.

Brexit voters won because more people voted to leave then to remain

We are not talking about how many people voted or didn't vote. We are discussing the amount of people who actually support Brexit.

Does it not trouble you in the slightest that the biggest step the UK is making since 1939, is being taken without the support of the majority of it's citizens?

We are not talking about how many people voted or didn't vote. We are discussing the amount of people who actually support Brexit.

Does it not trouble you in the slightest that the biggest step the UK is making since 1939, is being taken without the support of the majority of it's citizens?

How do you suggest that a refererendum result be translated? :confused:

Na if you read it correctly it said lets fund our NHS instead, a far cry from giving it to individuals. BTW he is not my Farage guy, or did you mean my Garage guy..:hihi:

---------- Post added 22-03-2018 at 18:58 ----------

And how do we determine that then?

But as explained many times before any result is based on the electorate and the people who actually turn out to vote, making any other claim a pointless repetitive exercise.

Do we then include in those figures; those under 18 such as children or babies, or those who are not registered to vote, or some of those in prisons, or those not allowed to because they have not been here long enough and not classed as citizens, or in this case those ex-pats that couldn't vote, those in the House of Lords, or the Queen and family?

If so then by that token everybody in the EU should also be allowed to vote on EU issues and not just those elected to do so.

Edited by apelike

How do you suggest that a refererendum result be translated? :confused:

As an indication that a significant minority are unhappy with the EU.

We are, they are the only ones that count, you lost the vote you're a loser in many ways.

And 1939 went well didn't it, are you French?

As an indication that a significant minority are unhappy with the EU.

Not really an answer, please elaborate.