The Consequences of Brexit [part 4]

why? What’s gonna happen?

It's my guess that you'll have a little cry.

Well have to see.

Isn’t there something ironic that Farage alienates himself from our near neighbours and then makes a play for influence in the nation built on immigrants.He likes some United States.

We've not heard much opinion about Corbyn's new Labour policy from our resident Stockholm Syndrome victims Remainers.

Anyone care to comment?

We've not heard much opinion about Corbyn's new Labour policy from our resident Stockholm Syndrome victims Remainers.

Anyone care to comment?

It will cost him votes in the die hard industrial Labour heartlands?

How's that for starters.

Vince cable put it Well, same sort of cake as the Tories only cherries instead of blueberries.

Anyone care to comment?

Not worth commenting on as post 6836.

The important policy will be what May can get past her split party and can then be presented to the EU negotiators.

Anything else is a sideshow.

See what Friday brings

Farage’s uttering are even less relevant.

Edited by RJRB

It’s a stretch to call it a policy.

It’s a part of a strategy for provoking the Tories into action. That action could be destructive divisions within the party. Or it could be simply to force out more details about the Tory plans.

The latter seems to worked, with Bojo today admitting that NI/Eire trade would not be frictionless and that he envisaged some kind of congestion charge-like technology solution. Bojo should have kept his trap shut on that.

oh, why wait until next March? I’m in tears right now.

The Brexiters promised £350million a week for the NHS.

What we got was a 10% overnight drop in Sterling, leading to a 20% cost increase in imported goods.

The Brexiters promised me the EU would go whistle if they wanted any more money..

What we got was a divorce bill of between £40billion and £60billion.

The Brexiters promised me that countries would be queueing around the block to make trade deals with us after we leave.

What we’re getting is a trade deal with the USA to import meat products that are unfit for human consumption and a trade deal with India to import one billion Indian immigrants.

https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/2018/feb/17/revealed-us-uk-rightwing-thinktanks-talks-to-ditch-eu-safety-checks

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2018/jan/16/bacon-laced-banned-additive-us-trade-deal-food-risk-list

Please, tell me which of those scenarios I should be happy about and why

It will cost him votes in the die hard industrial Labour heartlands?

That largely depends on the timescale.

If the Tories manage to push through a hard Brexit without having to face a

General election, then if the predicted economic decline starts to hit those Labour heartlands sooner rather than later, a significant number of those Brexit voting Labour supporters will:

a) Wonder why they are worse off rather than better off as they were promised.

b) See the situation as being largely the product of the Tories in general and May/Davies/Johnson in particular and

c) See Labour of having clean hands on the final Brexit deal although they were complicit in triggering Artcle 50.

So it may cost Labour less votes than people imagine. It may not do Corbyn a lot of good personally though, as for the first time perhaps ever, many of those who support him are using the word 'unprincipled' for the first time.

oh, why wait until next March? I’m in tears right now.

The Brexiters promised £350million a week for the NHS.

What we got was a 10% overnight drop in Sterling, leading to a 20% cost increase in imported goods.

The Brexiters promised me the EU would go whistle if they wanted any more money..

What we got was a divorce bill of between £40billion and £60billion.

The Brexiters promised me that countries would be queueing around the block to make trade deals with us after we leave.

What we’re getting is a trade deal with the USA to import meat products that are unfit for human consumption and a trade deal with India to import one billion Indian immigrants.

https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/2018/feb/17/revealed-us-uk-rightwing-thinktanks-talks-to-ditch-eu-safety-checks

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2018/jan/16/bacon-laced-banned-additive-us-trade-deal-food-risk-list

Please, tell me which of those scenarios I should be happy about and why

Whats a couple of misdemeanors compared to this,

FCO30/1048

Wonder how much that cost the UK.

Stick the dummy back in wimp.

Ask Corbyn ;)

Ive emailed him , he said hes busy at the moment , and I would be better asking the person who posted the comment . So ?

---------- Post added 27-02-2018 at 22:27 ----------

That largely depends on the timescale.

If the Tories manage to push through a hard Brexit without having to face a

General election, then if the predicted economic decline starts to hit those Labour heartlands sooner rather than later, a significant number of those Brexit voting Labour supporters will:

a) Wonder why they are worse off rather than better off as they were promised.

b) See the situation as being largely the product of the Tories in general and May/Davies/Johnson in particular and

c) See Labour of having clean hands on the final Brexit deal although they were complicit in triggering Artcle 50.

So it may cost Labour less votes than people imagine. It may not do Corbyn a lot of good personally though, as for the first time perhaps ever, many of those who support him are using the word 'unprincipled' for the first time.

a) would they be the same Labour voters , who voted in the last Labour government and found out that despite the promises , they were no better off ?

a) would they be the same Labour voters , who voted in the last Labour government and found out that despite the promises , they were no better off ?

Possibly.

People voted Labour in 1997 because they were fed up with 18 years of the Tories, not because they were promised the earth.

Remember, Blair didn't actually promise anything other than a change of emphasis but business as usual with more or less everything that Thatcher had done, left in place.

It is no real surprise that the gap between rich and poor increased between 1997 and 2010.