The Consequences of Brexit [part 4]

I’m off sick today stuck in bed.

I know I’ve touched a nerve when the personal attacks start

Now those dog whistles......which category should we start with

Nothing personal at all. I just happen to agree with Gormenghast about people who complain about how the UK and and its productivity is going down the pan at the same time as spending all day on social media.

Like apelike I'm retired and can't imagine having the time to have done that when I was working and even now can't find the time to come on here more than a few times a week.

By the way, I don't know what you mean about dog whistles, we ain't got a dog.

How odd, because I agree with you about poor post war investment in the UK. Maybe you heard what you wanted instead of reading what I wrote.

I did read what you wrote. Far from the UK having "not much war rebuilding to do" it had an enormous amount to do. Not as much as most of continental Europe but still an awful lot. That we spent the post war years (and Marshall Plan funds) chasing unrealistic dreams of continuing to head an empire and being a superpower rather than on rebuilding our country and preparing for the future was the root cause of the industrial malaise that left us as the sick man of Europe in the 1970s. e.g. Whilst Continental Europe was busy rebuilding their railways with electrification we built some steam locomotives (already an obsolete technology) only to scrap them a few years later (the last built was only in service for 5 years).

This focusing on past glories still permeates the attitude of many brexiteers. Just look at the proposals for trade links with the Commonwealth (that were rightly ridiculed as Empire 2.0) and the reception they got from the Commonwealth countries. Similarly with the suggestions that the Irish border problem would be best solved by Ireland leaving the EU along with us. That sort of arrogant, unwarranted sense of self importance and entitlement is going to go across very badly when we try to get trade deals with those countries.

As an aside: Here's a brexit dog whistle.

I know I’ve touched a nerve when the personal attacks start
Given the understanding of economics apparent from this and preceding Brexit-themed threads, "working smart, not hard" is a concept that, clearly, would be completely alien and wasted on them...

...so it's much more fun to let them both believe we're skiving and froth at the thought ;):hihi:

Nothing personal at all. I just happen to agree with Gormenghast about people who complain about how the UK and and its productivity is going down the pan at the same time as spending all day on social media.

Like apelike I'm retired and can't imagine having the time to have done that when I was working and even now can't find the time to come on here more than a few times a week.

By the way, I don't know what you mean about dog whistles, we ain't got a dog.

You don’t know what I do. Even when I’m at work I have a fair amount of dead time travelling. That 7.5 working hour day is often a 11-12 hour day when train journeys or waiting at airports is taken into account.

I work with some companies with millions of customers. And what those companies do facilitates incredible amounts of economic activity. The services we provide facilitate that, not just in the U.K. but in the EU and globally as well.

You see these days it isn’t all about how many tons of coal you dug in a shift.

You should be glad people like me are around - the government gets a lot of revenue from me and it helps to pay for your Daily Mail, blue rinses, cribbage matches, tripe suppers or whatever it is pensioners get up to those days.

You don’t know what I do. Even when I’m at work I have a fair amount of dead time travelling. That 7.5 working hour day is often a 11-12 hour day when train journeys or waiting at airports is taken into account.

I work with some companies with millions of customers. And what those companies do facilitates incredible amounts of economic activity. The services we provide facilitate that, not just in the U.K. but in the EU and globally as well.

You see these days it isn’t all about how many tons of coal you dug in a shift.

You should be glad people like me are around - the government gets a lot of revenue from me and it helps to pay for your Daily Mail, blue rinses, cribbage matches, tripe suppers or whatever it is pensioners get up to those days.

Jackanory Jackanory Jack.................

Weren't you one of those who were quite gleeful on here about one million people dying since the referendum? And the fact that most of them are likely to have voted for brexit.

You lost any respect you might have had then, showing no regard at all for the relatives and friends of those people.

Jackanory Jackanory Jack.................

Weren't you one of those who were quite gleeful on here about one million people dying since the referendum? And the fact that most of them are likely to have voted for brexit.

You lost any respect you might have had then, showing no regard at all for the relatives and friends of those people.

Personal attacks again.....if you want to call me a liar just say it. But just a warning I really don’t care - you’d be surprised how rarely I use the report button ;)

And no I’m not gleeful people are dying. I was merely pointing out in terms of voter demographics what the reality of the numbers game is with Brexit.

Just leave them to it already. They're just like teenagers, sometime you have to let them make the big mistakes themselves, no other way for them to learn and graduate to adulthood ;)

Oh dear.

The smug sense of superiority exhibited by some establishment conformist Remainers is breathtaking.

Sneering at the majority for voting for an opportunity to open up the UK to the 21st Century world, embrace independence and leave behind the stifling, sclerotic and failing EU.

However did we manage before we joined the EU?

To some establishment conformists, 1973 is Year Zero.

Just leave them to it already. They're just like teenagers, sometime you have to let them make the big mistakes themselves, no other way for them to learn and graduate to adulthood ;)

I do hope you keep in touch with us when you move to the promised land across the Channel, and tell us how wonderful it is being a grownup in Utopia.

Hope it's not the big mistake you think we are making..

Facts, please people, facts.

Like show that inflation hasn't gone up to 3.1% because of the devaluation of the pound and the increased cost of food due to the lack of workers.

Like show that David Davis didn't just devalue the agreement by saying it was "A statement of intent"

Like where is the data to back up your claims, Car Boot, apelike, gomgeg...

Dissing others opinions is ok, but back it up with facts to diss their claims

Otherwise we may as well be a gossip column.

Like show that inflation hasn't gone up to 3.1% because of the devaluation of the pound and the increased cost of food due to the lack of workers.

Yep lets have some facts about the increased cost of food due to lack of workers..:)

PS For someone who knocks uturns how come you want a brexit one..:roll:

Edited by apelike

According to the Office for National Statistics, between July and September 2017 there were 32.06 million people in work in the UK.

279,000 more than a year earlier.

How does having that many more workers more than a year ago equate to "a lack of workers"? Perhaps an establishment conformist Remainer might explain?

The member of the fractionally larger voting block calls members of smalling group "conformist", probably fails to see the irony.

---------- Post added 13-12-2017 at 08:40 ----------

Food inflation is anecdotally higher than the overall rate

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/nov/14/rising-uk-food-prices-inflation

This was written 4 years ago!

Food prices rose in annual terms for the first time in more than two-and-a-half years with a wide range of items contributing to the pick-up. There were particularly large price rises for certain vegetables, consistent with reports of poor growing conditions in southern Europe, the ONS said. For example, the price of an iceberg lettuce increased by 67.2% between January and February.

Reading around it further, it appears that currently it's the weakness of the pound that is driving up prices, oil has also increased in cost and technology companies were quick to increase prices when the £ value fell. All adding to inflation generally.

Wages on the other hand are way behind, meaning that peoples standard of living is being gradually eroded.

Well done brexit. Sovrinty.