The Consequences of Brexit [part 4]

Howdy chaps n chapettes :wave:

'Been away a week, meeting with my future employers on t'continent and winding down some, and I must admit the break from all things Brexity was quite welcome :)

What's the word, then? Brexit wing growers still calling for a no-deal exit?

Does Jacob Rees Mogg make a good point here?

https://youtu.be/SC2DUy-WoGY

No, it'll take the EU a couple of years to recover from the loss of 20 billion pounds, a year if they try.

The man makes about as much sense on this topic as when he says that raped women shouldn't be allowed abortion.

'Been away a week, meeting with my future employers on t'continent and winding down some, and I must admit the break from all things Brexity was quite welcome :)

Ey up L00b - I did ask someone on here where you had gone but they didn't bother to respond.

A no-deal Brexit? Never gonna happen unless war is declared.

well, we had some great tips from the brexiters on how to live like a peasant by rummaging through the clearance aisles at your local supermarket for expired food items.

Another great tip was to grow your own food, a great idea for people in terraced houses like the ones round here, where the front door opens on to a busy and heavily-polluted A road.

Finally, our EU-handout loving British farmers will pick up the slack by growing all the food we can't import. Just a shame there will be no immigrants left to pick the food.

But I'm sure BoJo the Clown and Sir Nige' have a backup plan to shield us from the inevitable drop in living standards.

So yes, it's all looking rosy down here :)

Edited by The Joker

If we’re on WTO rules then the tariffs for some goods are actually quite sizeable, and even in a Norway-style relationship there is latitude for punitive tariffs on a range of goods - look at how Norway protects its cheese industry(277% tariffs). WTO makes that behaviour even easier, and allows the USA as an example to put a 300% tariff on planes made in the UK.

You don’t have a clue about:

1. How this works to begin with

2. The scenarios that could play out

Not sure about Norwegian cheese, but hay ho, they will just have to eat there own, the US and planes, were there not Billions in subs, given to their production. which the US tried to equalize with the tariffs. However, I see you fall back to default statements to antagonize people like you don't have a clue, nice one speaks more of your attitude than mine.

Edited by phil752

Ey up L00b - I did ask someone on here where you had gone but they didn't bother to respond.

A no-deal Brexit? Never gonna happen unless war is declared.

You had private messaging turned off ;)

Couldn’t message you back.

---------- Post added 29-10-2017 at 23:45 ----------

Not sure about Norwegian cheese, but hay ho, they will just have to eat there own, the US and planes, were there not Billions in subs, given to their production. which the US tried to equalize with the tariffs. However, I see you fall back to default statements to antagonize people like you don't have a clue, nice one speaks more of your attitude than mine.

You clearly don’t have a clue. You flipantly try and brush away uncomfortable truths. You can’t seem to comprehend that we are entering into a situation where continuous trade disputes become the norm, something that we have been largely free of for decades while in the EU. Like many Brexiters you don’t seem to understand there is no free market paradise awaiting us.

What’s the tariff on cars? Tariff on Prosecco? Under WTO rules. Ask Boris.

You had private messaging turned off ;)

Couldn’t message you back.

---------- Post added 29-10-2017 at 23:45 ----------

You clearly don’t have a clue. You flippantly try and brush away uncomfortable truths. You can’t seem to comprehend that we are entering into a situation where continuous trade disputes become the norm, something that we have been largely free of for decades while in the EU. Like many Brexiters, you don’t seem to understand there is no free market paradise awaiting us.

What’s the tariff on cars? Tariff on Prosecco? Under WTO rules. Ask Boris.

there you go again with the don't have a clue, take my last statement apart, then I may give your ego a listen. if you can not reply without an insult then you are lost. On cars which way are you referring to BMW to here or Nissan to there.

---------- Post added 30-10-2017 at 00:12 ----------

No, it'll take the EU a couple of years to recover from the loss of 20 billion pounds, a year if they try.

The man makes about as much sense on this topic as when he says that raped women shouldn't be allowed abortion.

you really believe that? It is going to be a big black hole, tell me when they last balance their accounts? Or at least get them signed off.

Edited by phil752

there you go again with the don't have a clue, take my last statement apart, then I may give your ego a listen. if you can not reply without an insult then you are lost. On cars which way are you referring to BMW to here or Nissan to there.

you really believe that? It is going to be a big black hole, tell me when they last balance their accounts? Or at least get them signed off.

Oh dear... they get them signed off every year, with less discrepancies than the UK - or at least one assumes as the UK doesn’t get theirs ‘signed off’. You never thought about that, have you? Doesn’t fit the blame the EU narrative.

I’m being brutally honest. Brexiters don’t have a clue about trade and are leading us off a cliff if they are not stopped. It’s the truth but don’t take it personally. You’re just one of millions of deluded people.

Bottom line: we are being led into a situation where protectionism becomes the norm, not free trade.

Well I think the salmon will sing in the street before there's a Europe-wide capital/wealth tax, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see. <...>

Though one logical reason might be that the Macronistas are by and large upper middle class MBA types who are, perhaps, more heavily invested in business/financial assets than they are in property. <...>

After a week over there getting local and national news day-in, day-out, Macron's honeymoon is well and truly over and many (elected) Macronistas are increasingly showing themselves to be ill-suited for Parliamentarian pressure. Household confidence is plummeting. I guess the hangover is starting to kick in.

The wealth tax was abolished and turned into the 'property wealth tax' while I was over, by the way. But the Conseil Constitutionnel (Constitutional Council) might yet rule it unconstitutional and nix it.

Sorry to keep going on about Piketty, but one of the main points in his book is that capital has ballooned to the extent that it is now a vast subterranean reservoir that could be used to replenish those vessels.
I don't disagree with his analysis, but the problem is two-fold: coerce that capital (back?) out of this 'subterranean reservoir' and incentivise its use to fund taxable wealth-creating activities.

A bit more topically, with our Brexit-caused move I'm getting a 20% gross pay rise resulting in a 25+% net pay rise. This differential (relative to my current UK gross/net) just shows that the UK is not such a low-income tax country as many may believe.

After a week over there getting local and national news day-in, day-out, Macron's honeymoon is well and truly over and many (elected) Macronistas are increasingly showing themselves to be ill-suited for Parliamentarian pressure. Household confidence is plummeting. I guess the hangover is starting to kick in.

It was always going to be that way though, possibly? Macron was voted in on a low turnout because Le Pen was too much to stomach for most French people. Hollande started off with good ratings too, before they too plummetted.

Anyway, congratulations on the new job and the pay rise. It's a shame that you are leaving but good luck with it all.