The Consequences of Brexit [part 4]

If we get a 2 year transition that ends in 2021, just one year or less before the GE then if public sentiment is against fully leaving no government is going to make the process final. That would be insane.

That is May's latest gamble.

Excuse me, like you I voted to remain. We all should accept we are leaving the EU. Public sentiment has already spoken. I beg you to to put your own prejudices to one side and show empathy.

It doesn't require 'smashing' it just needs reforming.

Exactly

They are now trying to take an impossible trajectory with integration. The EU won't collapse but within a decade it's going to have to start reverting to being trade-focused, looser in terms of organisation and a facilitator of cooperation over integration. I think that's something we could deal with more readily. It'd be my preference for the future of it.

Excuse me, like you I voted to remain. We all should accept we are leaving the EU. Public sentiment has already spoken. I beg you to to put your own prejudices to one side and show empathy.

Tell us, throughout your life have you always given up at the first setback?

Do you always roll over so easily when things don't go your way?

We held a non binding referendum, it was close to the point that one of the main campaigning Brexiteers had gone on record as stating that if it turned out to be by that margin the other way it " wouldn't be over by a long way ".

The vote was taken without anyone knowing exactly what the consequences of leaving would be. Fifteen months later we still don't know what's going to happen.

The thing that the Brexiteers keep clinging on to in a desperate attempt to justify the mess that they've created is " It's the will of the people ".

Well it may have been the will of the people a year ago last June, but is it still?

Is the will of the people immutable, absolutely incapable of change?

The only sensible and democratic way to proceed is to ask them again once that the exact terms and conditions of Brexit are clear.

How can anyone object to that?

It's democracy in action and allows a decision to be taken with knowledge of the outcome, which wasn't the case last time.

Tell us, throughout your life have you always given up at the first setback?

Do you always roll over so easily when things don't go your way?

We held a non binding referendum, it was close to the point that one of the main campaigning Brexiteers had gone on record as stating that if it turned out to be by that margin the other way it " wouldn't be over by a long way ".

The vote was taken without anyone knowing exactly what the consequences of leaving would be. Fifteen months later we still don't know what's going to happen.

The thing that the Brexiteers keep clinging on to in a desperate attempt to justify the mess that they've created is " It's the will of the people ".

Well it may have been the will of the people a year ago last June, but is it still?

Is the will of the people immutable, absolutely incapable of change?

The only sensible and democratic way to proceed is to ask them again once that the exact terms and conditions of Brexit are clear.

How can anyone object to that?

It's democracy in action and allows a decision to be taken with knowledge of the outcome, which wasn't the case last time.

I beg you to stop embarrassing yourself. We are all just people. Some people voted to stay in, some people voted to come out. The people who voted to come out won the argument. Time to move on.

We held a non binding referendum..

And it was also advisory.. But.. it became binding when the advise was to Brexit which this Government and Parliament unanimously approved. Something remainers fail to understand.

BTW, any mess was actually created by the very same people above and in no way should the voting population be held to blame, which again is all the remainers seem to do.

Do you have any idea how the EU Presidents are selected?

Idiot....

I have no idea how EU presidents are elected or selected, but then when I think about Jean-Claude Juncker, it can't be good.

Do MEPs vote them in?

Edited by hauxwell

And it was also advisory.. But.. it became binding when the advise was to Brexit which this Government and Parliament unanimously approved. Something remainers fail to understand.

BTW, any mess was actually created by the very same people above and in no way should the voting population be held to blame, which again is all the remainers seem to do.

Let's be clear. There is no legal mechanism for automatically converting an advisory referendum to a binding one.

You are blatantly lying.

You don't need to do that. State your positive case for Brexit, if you still have one.

Let's be clear. There is no legal mechanism for automatically converting an advisory referendum to a binding one.

You are blatantly lying.

You don't need to do that. State your positive case for Brexit, if you still have one.

I beg you to stop this nonsense. The leave or come out campaign won the argument. We are in a bad way because too many of those who voted not to come out, will not accept other people's views. It sounds really bad when people are saying the referendum was only advisory. There was a referendum, please accept the result, please forget the badly worded legislation. It is time to man up and respect the people who voted a different way, to us.

I beg you to stop this nonsense. The leave or come out campaign won the argument. We are in a bad way because too many of those who voted not to come out, will not accept other people's views. It sounds really bad when people are saying the referendum was only advisory. There was a referendum, please accept the result, please forget the badly worded legislation. It is time to man up and respect the people who voted a different way, to us.

How is it nonsense to state the truth: there is no legal basis for an advisory referendum to become binding after the result. None at all.

What apelike most likely meant was that there was a moral obligation to respect the result. No problem with that. But there has never been any legal basis to honour the result. Anybody who suggests there was/is is lying.

There are separate arguments to have after the result, everybody knows that. The wording of the referendum ensured that.

I beg you to stop embarrassing yourself. We are all just people. Some people voted to stay in, some people voted to come out. The people who voted to come out won the argument. Time to move on.

There is only one person making an embarrassment of themselves here and that would be you.

Do you actually understand the purpose of forums and why people post on them?

Basically, you are requesting - nay begging - people to stop discussing the topic which is the subject - and sole purpose - of this thread.

Not quite sure exactly who you think you are, or what authority you believe that you possess, but let me assure you that you have no say whatsoever over any other posters opinion on here.

If other posters, who possess a bit more intestinal fortitude than you apparently have, wish to continue pointing out the sheer inanity of this ridiculous decision, made with little if any knowledge of the damage to the country and future generations it will cause, then we shall continue to do so.

Understand?

How is it nonsense to state the truth: there is no legal basis for an advisory referendum to become binding after the result. None at all.

What apelike most likely meant was that there was a moral obligation to respect the result. No problem with that. But there has never been any legal basis to honour the result. Anybody who suggests there was/is is lying.

There are separate arguments to have after the result, everybody knows that. The wording of the referendum ensured that.

Why go to all the expense of having a referendum in the first place, if the referendum is only advisory? We all know, it was expected the referendum result was to deliver a result not to come out of the EU. Our own people when given the choice, decided not to do what our rulers expected. Our personal preferences makes no difference, when there is a clear winning choice made by all the people in our own country. Please stop behaving like a spoilt brat and accept others are wiser than us.

---------- Post added 25-09-2017 at 21:58 ----------

There is only one person making an embarrassment of themselves here and that would be you.

Do you actually understand the purpose of forums and why people post on them?

Basically, you are requesting - nay begging - people to stop discussing the topic which is the subject - and sole purpose - of this thread.

Not quite sure exactly who you think you are, or what authority you believe that you possess, but let me assure you that you have no say whatsoever over any other posters opinion on here.

If other posters, who possess a bit more intestinal fortitude than you apparently have, wish to continue pointing out the sheer inanity of this ridiculous decision, made with little if any knowledge of the damage to the country and future generations it will cause, then we shall continue to do so.

Understand?

I understand you are a troll.

You are blatantly lying.

Yes lets be clear.

First.. I did not state anything about a legal mechanism to automatically convert an advisory referendum to a binding one, you did.. ;)

Parliament reign supreme on this matter, and have already voted overwhelmingly to carry out the results of the referendum they also agreed to have held. Challenges to the Government in the Supreme Court on how that is done have been followed therefore any legal mechanism has now been taken. As the saying goes "its over and out.":hihi:

Second.. It is not up to me to justify how and why I voted the way I did but being democratic and legally held it is up to you to accept the outcome. As stated if you want to apportion blame then direct it at Parliament and our MP's that drew up the flawed legislation.