The Consequences of Brexit [part 4]

Were it in fact true that we " have a very strong hand and we are very well prepared for the negotiations " Ms Leadsom would have no need to whine about the media not being patriotic ( lapdog ) enough...

If only Emily had thought of a reply like that. :(

Were it in fact true that we " have a very strong hand and we are very well prepared for the negotiations " Ms Leadsom would have no need to whine about the media not being patriotic ( lapdog ) enough.

The idea that there's loads of good news in our favour and it's being suppressed by the media is complete nonsense.

The fact is of course that we don't have a strong hand, and the only people our negotiators fill with confidence are the EU negotiating team.

Do you work for the BBC :suspect:

You can get a Romanian to do it now

That cheap you can keep one in your garden shed and just bring it out for the season :rolleyes:

Objective truth is absent from most British media outlets when it comes to politics.

i don't think there is a great deal of objective truth in any politics, not just british politics.

No, but like most people I can tell when someone is blustering and attempting to divert attention away from their lack of substance.

It isn't difficult to work out is it?

If the government really had it all under control and were in a strong ( and stable :D ) position then there would be no need to complain that the media weren't being supportive enough, because the media would be reporting the facts.

As it is it's pretty obvious that we are in a weak position and will basically get what we're given.

The appeal to patriotism is a classic tactic of those struggling to win their argument by rational means.

As Dr Samuel Johnson put it " Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel ".

If you want some Tory cheerleaders, pick up the sun, telegraph, mail and express, particularly the express. It's all going brilliantly in their eyes.

It would be interesting if L00b, or Tim (or both) would explain what they would really like to happen. I'm not being provocative here, just curious. The deal offered by May didn't seem that bad to me, so I'm interested to find out what I've missed.

I also have a vested interest as I have family in Paris and I'd like them to stay there, not only for cheap holiday purposes.

As promised, a full reply.

The way May offered the current 'deal' would mean a 'settled' indication. Do you know what that means? I don't. I haven't got a clue whether that entitles me to the same things I am entitled to now in 10 years or not. I also have issues with the arbitrary 5 year number. What about people that spent half a year back in the EU, to look after their ill family or to finish their degree?

In my opinion it should be a clean - 'you live here now, you get citizenship.' which is essentially what the EU is offering UK citizens in the EU now. Except of course, if the UK isn't offering that reciprocally...

So in essence EU citizens who have made their life here are now being used as bargaining chips, exactly what I thought would happen is coming through. I thought a lot of things would happen and as things stand, they are all coming through. This whole affair is going to end nasty one way or another and it is due to the UKs political ineptitude that it is occurring. The Dutch might have their own political problems, but they'd never fall as low as this. All in all it looks like I made a bad choice 10 years ago, but I'll await the further details on Monday, I have a feeling yet another U-turn is awaiting after the backlash May received.

==============

added:

The Prime Minister who promised to be the best negotiator with the EU still hasn't got a deal with the DUP who are effectively Tories in an Orange jacket. Does anybody still believe this lot is set to get 'the best deal?'

Driving down from Scotland I heard one apologist after another on the various stations, the Tories are not just in disarray, they are clueless and are beginning to admit they have been since they won the election, accidentally, in 2015. What a brilliant position to be in as a country...

Edited by tzijlstra

If you want some Tory cheerleaders, pick up the sun, telegraph, mail and express, particularly the express. It's all going brilliantly in their eyes.

Why would I want to pick up any of them ? All mostly online anyway no doubt where you yourself peruse them. Some of the media will put positive spin on Brexit and some negative, it's not rocket science nor is it surprising, does anyone seriously think any political party in this country could negotiate a great deal that suited everyone.

We are where we are with regards Brexit, the negotiations will be a case of win some lose some at best, but the country voted for it and no amount of bleating is going to change the outcome much, it's noise for the sake of it mostly, much like on here :D

Guest sibon

The way May offered the current 'deal' would mean a 'settled' indication. Do you know what that means? I don't. I haven't got a clue whether that entitles me to the same things I am entitled to now in 10 years or not. I also have issues with the arbitrary 5 year number. What about people that spent half a year back in the EU, to look after their ill family or to finish their degree?

In my opinion it should be a clean - 'you live here now, you get citizenship.' which is essentially what the EU is offering UK citizens in the EU now. Except of course, if the UK isn't offering that reciprocally...

So in essence EU citizens who have made their life here are now being used as bargaining chips, exactly what I thought would happen is coming through. I thought a lot of things would happen and as things stand, they are all coming through. This whole affair is going to end nasty one way or another and it is due to the UKs political ineptitude that it is occurring. The Dutch might have their own political problems, but they'd never fall as low as this. All in all it looks like I made a bad choice 10 years ago, but I'll await the further details on Monday, I have a feeling yet another U-turn is awaiting after the backlash May received.

==============

added:

The Prime Minister who promised to be the best negotiator with the EU still hasn't got a deal with the DUP who are effectively Tories in an Orange jacket. Does anybody still believe this lot is set to get 'the best deal?'

Driving down from Scotland I heard one apologist after another on the various stations, the Tories are not just in disarray, they are clueless and are beginning to admit they have been since they won the election, accidentally, in 2015. What a brilliant position to be in as a country...

Thanks Tim. I think I understand a little better now. Although surely if you've been here for 10 years, you should get your full rights. You are of course correct about the shambles that the Tories have visited upon us.

That farmhouse in rural France is looking more and more appealing to me with every passing day.

==============

added:

Good analysis Tim. It makes sense and seems that our status won't be settled soon.