Sign in to follow this  

Classic number plate problem with DVLA..advice needed!

Have a big problem........my 1977 Fiesta, which is currently in boxes, is facing a bit of a crisis. I have decided, regrettably NOT to proceed with a rebuild this Summer, mainly due to the fact its an enormous amount of work, and I can get far better examples of MK I's. It has sentimental value of course, which is the only reason I want to rebuild it, but after a day assessing the work, and going through all the parts, decided it would cost well over £1000 to do, due to the terrible rust which has taken hold of the floor and wings....its a welders nightmare, and while its not impossible to do, is a bit crazy considering better examples are plentiful on Ebay still..

BUT, when I took the car off the road 2 years ago for a restoration, I registered it SORN, and forgot to make the number plate a cherished plate!!! Because I was certain I would do the restoration, I never thought to make sure the plate was safe!!! Now, having totally dismantled the car, I cannot register the plate as cherished, and cant transfer the plate to any other Fiesta because the car has been stripped right down, and taken apart totally. The DVLA will only make a number cherished or transferable if the original car is 100% intact, down to the lightbulbs!!!! They will not allow a number to be moved if the vehicle has been stored in dozens of boxes and broken up........

The only way (I thought) I can get that plate transferable is to put the whole car back together, which will take months of work, and get the DVLA to then examine it. BUT, because its had no MOT for 2 years, they still will not allow the number to be moved or cherished!!!! It has to have had tax and MOT WITHIN THE LAST 6 MONTHS to qualify.

Its crazy, the car still officially exists as its SORN, but due to no tax of MOT for 2 years, no way can I save the number plate.

Any ideas or workarounds?? The DVLA Sheff office were unable to help me, as it was essential their inspector could examine a 100% complete original vehicle, and not a collection of boxes and bits, even if the chassis number plate and engine number plates were available, which they are!!!

It was always my intention for a full rebuild you see, and not to scrap it and move the plate. Its only after a careful examination of the terrible rot in prep for a restoration that I now have to scrap the original chassis/car.

Is the number worth anything or do you just want to keep it and put on your next car?

no its worthless as a plate, just sentimental value as it was my FIRST EVER CAR.....I just want to transfer it to an identical MK I gold car (and then try and convince everyone I rebuilt the rotted out original from the tyres upwards (!)......the car I have in mind is identical model, engine and colour.. and in virtually AS NEW condition....

Right ,well the only thing to do is rebuild the car, if you put the plate on a better one , it will never be the same , it can not be, this is your first car. Its not that old and heres your time to set welding, you know I am right, just do it.

You may be right, but it means replacing the entire floor, inner wings, outer wings, plus major work on the sub frame and chassis, its OK on a really rare car yes, but everyone will think I am mad when I have an identical car that is 100% perfect!!!!

Just a number plate really.....maybe I cant afford to be sentimental.....

i was hoping to find an easier way of moving the plate......for example, if I stick the old engine in my new one and report the engine number change to the DVLA, they 'sometimes' can ask to inspect the vehicle with the replacement engine in (not the donor car), and if then change the CHASSIS number of the new car and claim a full rebuild on the old chassis, they dont need to see the donor vehicle as obviously it wil be in bits at that stage!!!!

Some ideas are coming to me......my old plate is still SORN so technically the car and reg still exist....

but everyone will think I am mad when I have an identical car that is 100% perfect!!!!

Look at it this way, I have people coming to me all the time asking me to build them a Lambretta just like the one they had in the 50s/60s/70s/80s/90s, they sold the first one they had and it will never come back from the scrap yard, keep it for now if you can and do the work when you can. Another car with the same plate will not be the same.

I know it will never be the same, which is why I saved it from the scrap yard 2 years ago, after owning it for many many many years. But its all down to economics and in this case, admin red tape with the DVLA. I dont see how they refuse to letme move a number plate that is still on a registered car, even if the car is in bits.....its silly rule....

Rebuild it,don't worry about people thinking your mad.........it's your first ever car,you can never ever replace it........isn't it sentimentality what owning a classics all about?

Keep the car,rebuild it in your own time,if you don't you will always regret it:|

I know I will....oh look the suns comes out, time to get some boxes down out of attic...now WHERE did I put that chassis!!!!!

I am glad I am not the only one who won't part with their first ever car, I have a similiar story to yours. Mine has been off the road two years, and ideally could do with a new shell, with many parts in boxes. However it isn't that far gone, and it is currently sporting a replacement wheel arch and replacement sill on one side. Work has stopped for the moment now though.

I think the fact it is the only known ex-police car in the country has saved its bacon.

It certainly is the car that just carries on living, as it has had its fair share of troubles of its lifetime.