DIY home made air cooler

I'm going to be making my own air cooler, using...

1. Last plastic container, or bucket, with lid.

2. Couple of 12v 120mm computer case fans (need silent ones).

3. 12v power supply for fans.

These kind of fans:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ARCTIC-F12-Standard-Noise-Case/dp/B002KTVFTE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1497804110&sr=8-1&keywords=computer+case+fans

General idea is to mount the fans on top of container (blowing air down). Cut holes in side of container (high up). Fill container with ice. When it's switched on, fans blow air on to ice, and cold air comes out of holes in side of container.

Just wondering what's the best way to power PC case fans will be?

Battery? USB adapter? 12b AC-DC adapter?

an AC > 12v DC adaptor will be fine, when wiring up the connectors, ignore the yellow's (signal) for the fan - and just wire them in parallel...

the PSU doesn't need to be more than about 2Amps - that should power 4 of those ones you linked....

Those fans are not bad but I have used them in one of computer builds... They're not THAT silent... If you want really silent fans you should go for Nanoxia Deep Silence fans, nearly inaudible - 16.9db at 1600RPM. Lovely fans and pretty low price, although more expensive than Arctic ones.

Thanks

Formally known as a 'Swamp Cooler'

Important thing to remember with any such water based cooler is to keep it clean, bacteria and stuff will very happily grow in the water container so give it a good clean every so often.

I'm going to be making my own air cooler, using...

1. Last plastic container, or bucket, with lid.

2. Couple of 12v 120mm computer case fans (need silent ones).

3. 12v power supply for fans.

These kind of fans:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ARCTIC-F12-Standard-Noise-Case/dp/B002KTVFTE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1497804110&sr=8-1&keywords=computer+case+fans

General idea is to mount the fans on top of container (blowing air down). Cut holes in side of container (high up). Fill container with ice. When it's switched on, fans blow air on to ice, and cold air comes out of holes in side of container.

Just wondering what's the best way to power PC case fans will be?

Battery? USB adapter? 12b AC-DC adapter?

Solar panel?

Thanks everyone. Thinking of going with battery power, always have tons of AA batteries around. Just wondering how long they'd last. For example, how long would 8 AA batteries power 2 of those 120 fans for? Would it be better (more cost effective, without being too bulky or heavy) using a different type of battery?

If using AA batteries it would last around 5 hours.

AA battery = 2500mA

2 x .25A fans = 500mA

2500 divided by 500 = 5

Ghozer was on the button with his reply.