You Opinions: Can a bloke have close female friends...?

can't say i've ever really had a female 'mate' - in a platonic sense

I have a lot of male friends. I think the trick is to not try and make yourself attractive to that person, like you would to someone you wanted.

People settle for friendship when they know they have no chance of success in stealing their object's affections.

Then again, I've known of situations where people have been friends for years and finally got together. It happened with me and my bloke. We weren't close friends, but we always chatted and there was definitely something there - but it took 3 years for anything to happen. Sometimes all you need is to step back a bit, and make the other person see what life is like without you in their lives.

There's nothing wrong with male / female relationships. Life may be boring if we had same sex friendships and the only member of the opposite sex in our life was partner / parents / siblings / family.....

so people should just enjoy life with whoever they are friends with, irrespective of what sex they are. Having friends that are members of the opposite sex means you can get another take on lifes mysteries.

depends really

if your a hilarious bloke who everyone likes but are dog ugly with revolting b.o. then YES

not speaking of anyone imparticular!!

My better friends are men, though I have femaile friends too. I've let various female friendships fade over the years, too much bitchyness or stereotype female teen behaviour and I'm not a fan.

I love a chat as much as the next woman but I find my male friends occasionally better company though lousy for clothes/girlie shopping.

The Harry met Sally syndrome is true of a lot of situations but it kind of reverses too, I'm very good friends with a couple of my exes, my current partner isn't always ecstatic about it but he trusts me if not them.

Platonic exes, in my experience, make the best of friends! :)

... without there being any 'interests' involved - Eg. Can a bloke be good mates with a woman, and NOT fancy her?

Its just something that was said at work got me thinking and so I would like your opinions.

Ta,

Kirsty

Nope, they always want something; whether its a relationship/fun or just a back up plan

Nope, they always want something; whether its a relationship/fun or just a back up plan

lol @ back up plan

Well I can , and some of my closest friends are female, but then I don`t fancy them whihc probably is down to the fact I am gay ...........

The answer has got to be a definite NO.

I have plenty of close female friends i'm not attracted to.

Wilf