Junction 34 M1 Friday 16th June 2017

Anyone know what happened at Junction 34 of the M1 on Friday 16th June ?

Took my wife to Meadowhall and from Meadowhall retail park in direction of Meadowhall all

roads were gridlocked for a considerable length of time - waited in traffic queue for a good half hour before we finally got into Meadowhall.

Spent an hour in Meadowhall, walking back to carpark on top level, looked out over the roads and they were still gridlocked.

We remained in the carpark for a further half hour then decided to make a move - spent 1 hour sat in the car going down the slope of the underpass to exit Meadowhall.

Thought there would be something about it either On Calender News or in The Star......

nothing.

I was going to Chesterfield on Friday afternoon ,and when i got to J35 southbound traffic was slowed down to 40mph. As i got got to the slip road for Meadowhall , there was green screens on the northbound lanes just by the top of the slip road at JN34 , and the traffic northbound all parked up and people out of their vehicles stood talking . It said on the radio it was a serious collision between a lorry and a van . I couldnt see anything due to the screens that were erected to stop anyone seeing what had happened.

Ive not seen any updates in the Star on on the radio though.

I was surprised this wasn't in here either.

I avoided it all afternoon, then out of my control I had to head right into the traffic at rush hour.

I'm sure info will come out soon. Thankfully we don't demand instant answers up here, to what obviously was a serious incident.

By the sounds of it a pedestrian was in the carriageway & hit by a van/lorry. Thoughts go out to family & friends xx

I was caught up in this as well - set off from Hillsborough at 4 o'clock and finally got in to Meadowhall at 6:30. Makes you wonder what it's going to be like when Ikea opens and something similar happens - we could be stuck there for days.

Since this evidently happened on the Tinsley viaduct, would it not have been possible to divert people onto the road that runs underneath rather than sending them round Meadowhall?

It took be an hour and half to get from brinsworth to Wincobank and that was at 3pm. I did divert onto the new road that runs under the viaduct but that was also gridlocked. All round meadowhall, Wincobank and Ecclesfield were like it till around 8pm. Like Metalman said what's it going to be like when ikea opens!

It took be an hour and half to get from brinsworth to Wincobank and that was at 3pm. I did divert onto the new road that runs under the viaduct but that was also gridlocked. All round meadowhall, Wincobank and Ecclesfield were like it till around 8pm. Like Metalman said what's it going to be like when ikea opens!

Hopefully there won't be fatal accidents regularly.

The traffic issues and added conjestion are one of the reasons the council reject permission for years.

Unfortunately sheffield had the whole of the M1 north traffic diverted through it meaning every where was gridlocked.

Unbelievable how selfish some people are ,Someone's died here and all your bothered about is what traffic will be like in the future when ikea opens!

condolences to the mans family.

Sad to hear that someone had died, although I had assumed that, based on the length of time the road was shut. I had travelled southbound on the M1 apparently soon after it happened, and could see it beginning to gridlock going in, as I drove away.

As an aside, I had reason to drive from Sheffield to beyond Rotherham in the early evening. I decided to let my Sat Nav guide me, rerouting as necessary based on real time data on congestion, not something I normally do. I was very impressed. It avoided all the congestion and got me there within a couple of minutes of the normal time at that time of day. There's no way I would have thought of all the back streets it took me, and could never have done it so easily or so stress free.

Unbelievable how selfish some people are ,Someone's died here and all your bothered about is what traffic will be like in the future when ikea opens!

condolences to the mans family.

Not being selfish at all - just reporting our experiences. There's not much we can say about this poor chap's death at this stage because all we have to go on is the sketchy report in the Star. Presumably the circumstances surrounding it will come out in due course.

If a motorway junction has to be closed, then J34 could be less problematic than other junctions, due to its layout with he viaduct running underneath. But presumably due to the precise location of the incident, traffic was prevented from being allowed up the M1(N) entry slip road, otherwise traffic could have been diverted off the exit slip road and along the viaduct underneath, and then straight back onto the motorway. Obviously this wasn't possible.

The sheer volume of traffic exiting the M1 on the day would naturally cause chaos to surrounding roads. Its extremely expensive to close a motorway, but I guess it has to be done at times.