Should You be Bothered About Other Peoples Opinions Of You?

Does it bother you? Most times it bothers me, as I suffer from anxiety. But as long as your a good person it shouldn't matter, should it?

Does it bother you? Most times it bothers me, as I suffer from anxiety. But as long as your a good person it shouldn't matter, should it?

I'm not bothered at all Amber. I think if their opinion of you is critical there is something wrong with their personality !

In some senses; yes, very much so, you should be concerned how other people regard you. As human beings we are social creatures and depend on the good will of others in order to thrive, survive and be happy...

In other senses; no, other people are not perfect in their judgement, they have their own prejudices and filters through which they colour the world (and you!), wish them well, but do not be defined by them. Your own sense of worth, should derive from within, not indirectly via how others see you. Nobody on this planet (or onboard the ISS) knows you better than you. You are not perfect, you don't know all the answers, and you make mistakes; we all do. Yet, you also know how far you've come, the adversity and hardship you have gone through.

That's what makes people awesome, they keep going though the tough times (and hopefully learning and improving and doing stuff better).

Name calling isn't going to fly. Post removed and is not to be repeated.

The most important is what you think of yourself, then those closest to you.

You should also think who these other people are and why or if their opinion really matters. As long as you know in yourself that you are a good person, then the rest dont matter.

Name calling isn't going to fly. Post removed and is not to be repeated.

I apologise ali .sorry. bit of daft fun.

nope, ive been called lots of things on here over the years, at the end of the day im honest, im me and only ever had one name, if i cant say it under this name i dont say it.

It depends what you mean by 'you' (your character? what you say? or your actions?) and by which 'other people' we are talking about (your friends? your family? random people in the street? anonymous people on forums?), and it depends on what basis other people's opinions about your character/your behaviour are formed.

If those opinions spring from blind prejudice, they are not worth a fig.

If they are based on the experience of knowing you and being on the receiving end of your actions over a period of time, then those opinions/perceptions are clearly worth listening to.

Edited by aliceBB

The great nineteenth century German philosopher Arthur Schopenhauer is worth reading on this point. He wrote:

We will gradually become indifferent to what goes on in the minds of other people when we acquire a knowledge of the superficial nature of their thoughts, the narrowness of their views and the number of their errors. Whoever attaches a lot of value to the opinions of others pays them too much honour.