Are our Tower Blocks safe?

Years ago the building inspector had to inspect at every stage of construction , footings, dpc, chamber joist, pan, roof ,drains , window areas and so on .

When I watch construction now it amazes me that they finish one area of the job and carry straight on to the next immediately, often meaning that stuff has been covered without any inspection .

An architect tells me that the building inspectors have been cut by reduced funding and the drive to cut "red tape" and allow more self-certification by builders and contractors. As the owner of a Barrat house from new I can categorically state this idea sucks.

Why do you think the council should PAT test all your appliances ?

We are currently having refurbishments done in our flats. We have had a new electrical system put in. Most of the tenants who have had their flat refurbished have found out that there are faults on their kitchen appliances IE cookers, mine included. on the old electrical system it didn't detect any faults. if the council did a proper pact test we would have known about these faults ages ago. So much for the council saying we are safe!:rant:

We are currently having refurbishments done in our flats. We have had a new electrical system put in. Most of the tenants who have had their flat refurbished have found out that there are faults on their kitchen appliances IE cookers, mine included. on the old electrical system it didn't detect any faults. if the council did a proper pact test we would have known about these faults ages ago. So much for the council saying we are safe!:rant:

so pay for testing yourself.pat testing look it up.

Guest makapaka

Why would the council PAT test your appliances for you?

What if you went out and bought a new hairdryer - would you expect the council to come out and PAT test it you when it was 12 months old?

Julie Dore has said the government should pay for the recladding of tower blocks in Sheffield . Why ? As far as im concerned the council should go to the contractor , that they approved , ask them why the materials that they approved , were not used and then make the contractors pay the full cost of the recladding .

Guest makapaka

Have you seen the contract with the building contractor?

no and I bet Julie dore has not , same as she had never seen the Amey contract but unless it was a cash in hand job, there has got to be reprisals for the contractor

Julie Dore has said the government should pay for the recladding of tower blocks in Sheffield . Why ? As far as im concerned the council should go to the contractor , that they approved , ask them why the materials that they approved , were not used and then make the contractors pay the full cost of the recladding .

I can't see the point in recladding.

The tenants get their heating as part of their rent, so the only reason would be for efficiency targets. Stuff them.

The bin-waste gets burned in the incinerator regardless.

I would remove the cladding, and paint the buildings (for the nice look). Paint them all green to fit in with the city colours :)

-

(My thought was that the new windows look like they are integrated into the new look, so not sure how that will work. Maybe someone who knows what they are talking about knows the answer to this)

Edited by *_ash_*
altered word for clarity

Guest makapaka
no and I bet Julie dore has not , same as she had never seen the Amey contract but unless it was a cash in hand job, there has got to be reprisals for the contractor

No - that's not correct.

The contractor should pay if they did not fit the correct panels as shown in the contract. Knowing Sheffield they would automatically pick the cheapest option.

No - that's not correct.

enlighten us then

She is unbelievable.

In any job , you always check a delivery when it arrives to make sure the supplier has sent exactly what you ordered.

This obviously didnt happen , and the blame for that lies firmly with the council. What idiot uses building materials without checking they are the correct ones.

Total imcompitance from SCC , but sadly that dosnt surprise me one bit.

Instead of trying to pass the blame, Dore should be finding out who didnt do their job of checking the materials when they arrived.