Are our Tower Blocks safe?

Probably not but if it's just the green cladding then there shouldn't be a chimney effect like that that allowed the fire to spread so quickly in London.

the main word there is Shouldn't . the towers is London Shouldn't have burnt down

Guest makapaka
Probably not but if it's just the green cladding then there shouldn't be a chimney effect like that that allowed the fire to spread so quickly in London.

Correct.

The whole high rise stock in the UK is not just going to set on fire folks.

---------- Post added 26-06-2017 at 23:51 ----------

the main word there is Shouldn't . the towers is London Shouldn't have burnt down

No they shouldn't- which is what people are now addressing.

I had my tenants meeting last Tuesday. I asked the council rep when these safety checks were done and by whom. I was told that they are done by professional fire safety people, we had the fire service on the blocks testing the risers but nothing else. I also asked the rep why we don't have a proper pact test ie. testing all appliances rather than just the plug sockets and lights. I was told that it would take too long to test everything. after arguing for 5 minutes I was told to shut up and move on to the next issue. we have had our kitchens and bathrooms refurbished and a new electrical system put in. Due to the new system people are finding that they have faulty cookers, fridges. if the council had done proper pact tests we would have known about all these faulty appliances.

Why do you think the council should PAT test all your appliances ?

---------- Post added 27-06-2017 at 00:10 ----------

we don't have for the last 5 months any emergency lighting in the tenants hall owned by the council on gresley road lowedges,and all we get is we are trying to sort it,so what chance do the tower blocks have.

it isnt the tenants hall its is a meeting room for use by the community whether or not they are a tenant

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/breaking-cladding-on-sheffield-tower-block-to-be-removed-after-failing-fire-safety-test-1-8616683

Cladding on a Sheffield tower block is set to be replaced after it failed a fire safety test.

Sheffield Council said a single element of covering on the Hanover tower block in Exeter Drive, Broomhall, failed the inspection.

HANOVER

the council states - We are checking the metal cladding on our tower blocks and it has now been confirmed a single element of the cladding system at Hanover has failed new fire tests.

what an understatement, a "single element" - yes IT'S FLAMABLE!. The thousands of pounds it's cost us for the brochers the council put out to inform us "all our tower blocks are safe" very expensive toilet paper. not to mention the E/MAIL they sent out.

No.

You can see what I am saying, by reading the words that I wrote.

Everyone else seems to understand. Maybe you should just think a bit harder, then you might do too.

I read what you said, which was that they somehow knew which panels were likely to fail and would test those first, hence the high rate of failures.

It's unlikely that the knowing arrived in the last few days, so either they've known and done nothing, or in fact they don't know and have to rely on the tests.

Although possibly as Makapaka said they can base it on the published spec, or the type of panel fitted, or the installation date to prioritise...

Guest makapaka
HANOVER

the council states - We are checking the metal cladding on our tower blocks and it has now been confirmed a single element of the cladding system at Hanover has failed new fire tests.

what an understatement, a "single element" - yes IT'S FLAMABLE!. The thousands of pounds it's cost us for the brochers the council put out to inform us "all our tower blocks are safe" very expensive toilet paper. not to mention the E/MAIL they sent out.

Not really an understatement if that single element doesn't put the tenants at adverse risk.

Not really an understatement if that single element doesn't put the tenants at adverse risk.

:huh:

Hmmm...

... 'a single element' has obviously been carefully worded though to minimise alarm and to give the impression that maybe just a few insignificant panels have been found and not, as appears to be the case, a design feature that covers the entire building... :roll:

Guest makapaka
:huh:

Hmmm...

... 'a single element' has obviously been carefully worded though to minimise alarm and to give the impression that maybe just a few insignificant panels have been found and not, as appears to be the case, a design feature that covers the entire building... :roll:

No - The single element was the green feature banding through the cladding. Which covers a small proportion of the overall building and not the entire building.

Mr Cawthorne said: "The Tenants Association were given samples, which I kept for eight years, and those samples are 3mm aluminium sheet.

That's what the council asked to be put on this building, but that's not what was discovered on this building when the tests were carried out."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-40415021

Mr Cawthorne said: "The Tenants Association were given samples, which I kept for eight years, and those samples are 3mm aluminium sheet.

That's what the council asked to be put on this building, but that's not what was discovered on this building when the tests were carried out."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-40415021

Hang on.......

Surely if any organisation signs a contract for a major alteration to a building, the work - when finished - is inspected (signed off perhaps) before the bill is paid. So they would have discovered then that the sheets that had been ordered had not been fitted.

Or am I being stupid?

Hang on.......

Surely if any organisation signs a contract for a major alteration to a building, the work - when finished - is inspected (signed off perhaps) before the bill is paid. So they would have discovered then that the sheets that had been ordered had not been fitted.

Or am I being stupid?

No you are not . That seems to be the major question here , Who signed off the cladding work ?