Are our Tower Blocks safe?

Guest sibon
I would be more worried about a 100 storey clad high rise than a two storey clad block of flats.

You might also hope that by now, they have a quick way of identifying possible dangerous panels.

I would be more worried about a 100 storey clad high rise than a two storey clad block of flats.

Well, the consequences would be more severe, I agree.

We don't have any in Sheffield of course, and a two storey building isn't considered high rise, but yes, the higher the occupancy, the greater the potential catastrophe.

Perhaps just bad wording though. "Sending their most worrying samples". What can make a sample more worrying, rather than a building more critical to test?

Since the tower block fire at grenfell London . The councils are now checking the cladding wich have recently been installed on thousands of high rise flats in the last say 10 years over the uk ..for fire requlations ect... surely these claddings would have been subjected to high requlation testing before being offerd to large contracting businesses .ie: the council ect ect . Looks to me like a pass the blame . Find it hard to beleave that 24 storeys would go up like it did wen made out of concrete.from one kitchen appliance fire... that's my opinion anyone thinking the same .

Guest sibon

Perhaps just bad wording though. "Sending their most worrying samples". What can make a sample more worrying, rather than a building more critical to test?

I think that the wording is fine. Surely the inspection teams know the characteristics of the panels that are most risky. It makes perfect sense to identify and inspect those buildings first and send the panels for testing.

Indeed, any other action would be negligent.

Wonder when they will test cladding on other buildings

I had a booklet delivered to my flat last week by scc saying that all tower blocks in Sheffield are safe. I think its time someone at the SCC should get the sack the council obliviously has lied and tried to cover this up imo.

Edited by kal el

I think that the wording is fine. Surely the inspection teams know the characteristics of the panels that are most risky. It makes perfect sense to identify and inspect those buildings first and send the panels for testing.

Indeed, any other action would be negligent.

If they know the characteristics well enough to identify them, then what's the point of the testing?

Guest sibon
If they know the characteristics well enough to identify them, then what's the point of the testing?

Did you understand the phrase "most risky".

I'm not sure what it is with you, you seem to want to drive every discussion into trivial minutiae.

Let me try once more. You would hope that the inspectors would have a shrewd idea what they were looking for. Given that the buildings are regularly inspected, they should know the most urgent places to look first.

The tests will confirm their suspicions. Their suspicions will inform the order of inspection.

Did you understand the phrase "most risky".

I'm not sure what it is with you, you seem to want to drive every discussion into trivial minutiae.

Let me try once more. You would hope that the inspectors would have a shrewd idea what they were looking for. Given that the buildings are regularly inspected, they should know the most urgent places to look first.

The tests will confirm their suspicions. Their suspicions will inform the order of inspection.

:hihi:

You could almost think that some people's sole purpose on here is to keep the forum ticking over, couldn't you? ;)

Guest sibon
:hihi:

You could almost think that some people's sole purpose on here is to keep the forum ticking over, couldn't you? ;)

I'm saying nothing, given my post count:)

Just a question all tower blocks are being checked but what about the most well know one I'm talking about the HALLAMSHIRE hospital it was built in the same era.is it a disaster waiting to happen the patients wouldn't stand a chance does anybody know if it will be checked